Thread: Looking for input on cabinet design

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Looking for input on cabinet design

I am designing a cabinet and due to my lack of wood building skill or shop space I am trying to keep it as simple as possible while still looking presentable.

I designed this in Lightwave and I was looking to get some input.

The angled parts are meant to be on hinges. The top is a ball loader and the middle is for ball dump (what I like to call the "loser balls" )

I might put a door and some shelves for... whatever on the bottom.

There will also be those little screw in\out furniture feet on the bottom for leveling (I don't know what they are called)

How does this look? Am I missing anything or making any mistakes?

Pachinko.png

Thanks,

RW

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Redwizard000

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Looking for input on cabinet design

Looks good. I am assuming you will have something to catch the balls so that when you open the door balls don't roll all over. You may also want to consider a way to stop the flow of balls from your reserve to the machine. If you need to open the door for any reason you don't want thousands of balls pouring out. The cabinet will be really top heavy so you should anchor it to the wall to make sure pets, children, and drunks don't have the whole thing topple over on them. Should also consider how to anchor the machine into the cabinet. Screws, toggle clamps, etc. to prevent accidental toppling.

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is a good point on stopping the flow from the reserve bin. I hadn't thought of that.

There is probably a stud in the wall that I want to put the machine against, I can pop a screw or two into that to keep the cabinet from falling.

I was going to drill some screws down into the frame of the machine into the cabinet to hold it in place.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A couple thoughts for you to consider in your possible future use if you have multiple machines using the same cabinet or clones of the first cabinet. Not that I've built any yet myself but I understand that some machines run slightly wider than others. Something to consider if building multiple cabinets over time. You could stay with one plan on the wider size and shim a thinner model if needed. Not sure how that would work out or look.

If you ever put a modern machine in the cabinet then perhaps extend the board under the bottom of the machine out some to serve as a tray holder. Once a modern starts paying out in a fever round you would be emptying the lower reward bin and the loser balls can still be accessed below that. This is a picture from another member and I'd like to try this design someday.

74014d1301434913-new-cabinet-source-town-dscf3399.jpg74013d1398525173-new-cabinet-source-town-pachinko-thunderbird-004.jpg
    Last edited by Peteybob; 10-06-2017 at 09:29 PM.

7. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

interesting design... I kinda like this one

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    A couple thoughts for you to consider in your possible future use if you have multiple machines using the same cabinet or clones of the first cabinet. Not that I've built any yet myself but I understand that some machines run slightly wider than others. Something to consider if building multiple cabinets over time. You could stay with one plan on the wider size and shim a thinner model if needed. Not sure how that would work out or look.

If you ever put a modern machine in the cabinet then perhaps extend the board under the bottom of the machine out some to serve as a tray holder. Once a modern starts paying out in a fever round you would be emptying the lower reward bin and the loser balls can still be accessed below that. This is a picture from another member and I'd like to try this design someday.

74014d1301434913-new-cabinet-source-town-dscf3399.jpg74013d1398525173-new-cabinet-source-town-pachinko-thunderbird-004.jpg
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Love the plexiglass used on top so you can see how many balls are left. My current setup give you no clue how many balls are left n the hopper and that is quite frankly pretty annoying.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Yob View Post
    Love the plexiglass used on top so you can see how many balls are left. My current setup give you no clue how many balls are left n the hopper and that is quite frankly pretty annoying.
    I've pondered if I would care for the plexiglass or not. One thought if it were a solid front instead of the plexi is to install a hopper switch at a desirable height of choice in the upper box. This would be tied to an additional light to act as low level indicator like those on the actual machines. Then I'd know that it is down to XXX balls but not emptied yet. I wonder if anyone has ever experimented with the idea.

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Agreed, the plexiglass front isn't pretty, just handy. Some kind of indicator would definitely be preferred but a little harder to implement.

I've pondered if I would care for the plexiglass or not. One thought if it were a solid front instead of the plexi is to install a hopper switch at a desirable height of choice in the upper box. This would be tied to an additional light to act as low level indicator like those on the actual machines. Then I'd know that it is down to XXX balls but not emptied yet. I wonder if anyone has ever experimented with the idea.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The cabinet Peteybob posted is roughly based on this cabinet.

http://www.dc8.org/pachinkocab/

Good basic design. I have endlessly modified those plans over the years for various cabinets.

100 machines and counting...

17. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

just a heads up, i don't use cabinets, but have many machines set up and playable at same time, if you start winning, and get multiple fevers (which is common), you have to be able to transfers losing balls back to the top with ease, while still playing, so open top is best, like a funnel shape, and losing balls landing in a removable catcher is smart also, the bigger the better, but it does get heavy, and your lifting it above your head (depending on height of cabinet and your own) to refill reservoir
    2018 Jaws 2 Panic Again 2016 Superman Limit Break 2016 Majestic Prince 2015 MaCross Frontier 2 2015 Castlevania 2015 Persona 4 2014 Star Wars 3 2013 Biohazard 2011 Kung Fu Panda 2009 Star Wars 2 Light 2009 MaCross Robotech

19. The following user says "Thanks" to quester

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah no kidding, the Derby King machine will drain its entire ball hopper in about a minute when you activate its jackpot mode (fever mode?). I haven't yet failed to reactivate it either. I can keep it going for as long as I can keep balls in the machine. Only way I have found to lose is to run out of balls or stop shooting. There is a little chute that is really easy to hit when the mode is running. When it stops, if there is a ball on this little launcher it just pops it back in the horses mouth and starts it all over again.