Thread: Pachinko Model A Lock

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachinko Model A Lock

I recently removed the lock from the front of my 1973 Nishijin Model A machinge and took it to a locksmith to have a key made. He called me today and said he made the key, but it really doesn't do anything. I assumed the slide mechanism in the back wound move in and out using the key, but evidently I was incorrect. The key does turn, but no further action. So, how is the lock supposed to operate? You can pull on the tab on the back and it feels spring loaded. It moves freely. Here are som photos.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pachinko Model A Lock

Pachinko lock 1.jpgPachinko lock 2.jpgPachinko lock 3.jpgSorry, they didn't make the first cut.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The "L" shaped metal bar is supposed to slide in, and out when the key is turned. It appears that the only way to disassemble that lock is bending the metal tabs. It's possible that the pot metal arm inside is broken.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If the locksmith disassembled it to make the key, it may not have been re-assembled correctly. Can't say either way without actually seeing the inside.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I now have keys made for my lock. My local locksmith did everything for about 30 bucks. He used a VW blank, but had to cut the grove in the key a little longer with his grinder to allow it to go all the way to the rear of the cylinder. I had read somewhere a 1940 Ford car blank would work. The L-shaped bar goes to the top and when the key is turned to the left it pushes the bar up against another mechanism mounted on the frame and in turn allows the machine to be pulled out on the right side. The left side is hinged. If you turn the key to the right nothing really happens. After turning to the left and releasing the key it is spring loaded and attempts to center itself so you can slide the key out. At the moment, it is not in the frame since the bottom portion was broken when I purchased this. From close examination, it appears the frame is nothing more than plywood with heat sensitive decorative trim. I thought about fixing the bottom of the frame only, but may build another frame out of poplar. Here is an mp4 of the lock and key.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to tom2rn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tom, was the video posted depicting the lock in question? If it was, the lock is operating correctly.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, this is the lock. The locksmith did a pretty good job with the keys. Once I get everything back together I will probably do another video showing everything from the rear and where it meets the remainder of the mechanism.