Thread: RetroPie setup

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default RetroPie setup

I have been tinkering with a Raspberry Pi 3B and Retropie 4.2.
    I ended up buying a Kit on Amazon for $65 that included everything I needed to start minus a controller. I have been playing with NES/Famicom and Super NES/S.Famicom roms... and the current onboard Mame emulator which takes 0.78 Rom sets (currently).

I ended up pairing a PS4 controller to it via bluetooth.. works great.. and since I setup Download Manager I can web into my Pi3 and drop Roms from my PC..

Very very simple to do.. probably took about 45min from start to completion with most of that time waiting for the Pi3b to update.

My only complaint is that 0.78 is pretty old for Mame.. there are several ROMS that are buggy with this release buy work in the newer (1.0 and later) mame sets..

I have used Raspberry Pi devices for other projects.. but this may be the neatest thing with these guys yet.

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to stampeed valkyrie

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: RetroPie setup

Ian #UKPachinko

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wound taking an image I found online and totally re-working it in to something decent. Just a bit frustrating that the N64 is so lacking in games that will run. It has literally everything else you'd want on there. I went through and fixed all the compatibility issues, added all the box art, descriptions, even added music and things like that.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm glad you brought this up. Just reminded me I need to rework my Pi setup for the Amiberry (Amiga) emulator. Don't mess with MAME too much on the pi since I have a stand alone cabinet that runs MAME. I need to spend some time getting my GPD-XD redone. So little time, so much to do.
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaria View Post
    I'm glad you brought this up. Just reminded me I need to rework my Pi setup for the Amiberry (Amiga) emulator. Don't mess with MAME too much on the pi since I have a stand alone cabinet that runs MAME. I need to spend some time getting my GPD-XD redone. So little time, so much to do.
    I easily spent a solid month getting mine set up, I was going to transfer everything to the newer Raspberry pi model that just came out a little while ago, but guess what? Nothing is compatible with it, it runs a totally different script or something like that, and no improvements were really made to the GPU or anything. Also, I finished mine, and let it sit for a while, then I updated all the packages, and guess what, nothing worked lol. Had to format and re-image. Thank God, I saved that image as soon as I finished it.

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I need to update mine as well.
    The lastest version of Retropie is running on a different linux distro.

I have several 3b's and use them to tinker regularly.. this one however will probably always be a retro gaming emu project.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I set up 3 of the 3b's recently. Purchased 2 sets of 2 player controls/buttons to make the bartops, got the measurements for some 32" spare TVs I had, and... that's as far as I got. Put 200GB cards in em
    Kinda jotted down the prices so far, haven'd done the frames and will throw a power strip in each and that should be done. Ignore the B+ there in the black case, that's a different project. The plan is to use them as bartop arcades but the vesa telescoping mount will let the 32" TV come outward from the arcade to be used as a TV and possibly add Kodi movie to the Pi too. The 200GB microsd's were more than the Pis.

35 Pi 3, model B
    16 Pi case with power supply and fan
    50 200GB MicroSD
    37 2 player set of lighted controls with interface
    20 Adjustable VESA TV mount
    99 Monitor or TV... (price depends on size/model)
    50? Wood or MDF
    xx? nails/screws/glue/paint/stain/carving?
    20180830_230353.jpg20180903_203710s.jpg

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was really surprised the other day walking through Target, They had 5 RasPi 3b's ($35) sitting on the shelf and a complete kit. When did that happen?
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaria View Post
    I was really surprised the other day walking through Target, They had 5 RasPi 3b's ($35) sitting on the shelf and a complete kit. When did that happen?
    That's news to me. I wonder how big of SD card that is and what the games list is. I've seen them configured on eBay similarly, but you expect it there; and the cheaper ones of course are limited on the list of what they have. But $35 for a base isn't much more than the Pi itself in cost.