Thread: Pachinko parlors in the US

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachinko parlors in the US

I know this has been discussed a lot in the forums but the more I dive into the hobby, the more I realize just how hard the legalities are around these machines.

For example, where I live in Washington state it is becoming clearer and clearer that any pachinko or pachislot that is less than 25 is illegal to own, let alone operate. I continue to search to find out if there is something I am missing but the state laws seem pretty clear and even specifically call out the machines pachinko and pachislo (skill stop) machines as being illegal gambling machines.

They also state that you can't operate them for coupons, prepaid cards, tokens coins or tickets. I have heard the argument that redemption arcade games would be gambling as well, and by definition that the state laws say, they very well should be, however they are clearly not as we have plenty of redemption arcades.

I read the laws in North Carolina, where pachinko world is and charging money for balls and redeeming them for prizes is also pretty obviously illegal in that state as well. However, they somehow are operating and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

The penalties in my state can be really severe. From seizure of machines, to seizure of any property that the machines are related to, which can include your house, the car you used to transport it, etc. etc.

I would love to set some games up in a public space, even for play for free or as japanese wall art, but that seems extremely risky. Has anyone here had any luck figuring out what is and isn't allowed in your state from anyone official, rather than from just trying to interpret the laws themselves?

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to shnetinka