Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sonic the Hedgehog Pachinko Machine by Sammy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sonic the Hedgehog Pachinko Machine by Sammy

Hello, I recently acquired a pachinko machine of Sonic the Hedgehog made by Sammy. I managed to clean it up from dust and tested it except for the metal balls will NOT launch when in the bottom tray. The launcher turns but the balls won't move whatsoever. I'm not sure who to contact or if I'm able to fix it myself with the right tools and help from you guys. I'm not even sure if it's where the balls are waiting to be launched is the issue or where the part that strikes the balls through the pachinko machine itself. What do you think? Thank you.
    Sonic1.jpgSonic2.jpgSonic3.jpgSonic4.jpg

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Zealous Dragoon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sonic the Hedgehog Pachinko Machine by Sammy

When you say bottom tray...what exactly do you mean? There should be a top, and bottom tray on the front. I can't see the bottom tray in your pics...but the tray in pics #1 & #2 is the top (front) tray. Balls only shoot from the top tray. There is a button or lever that drains balls from the top tray to tbe bottom tray, either when you are winning too many for the top...or when you are ready to cash out. When top tray is empty, you must manually transfer balls to the top tray to keep playing.
    If balls are not shooting from the top tray...then that is a problem.
    When you say "the launcher turns", are you saying that the knob rotates unrestricted, and nothing happens...or can you hear a thump, thump, thump of the hammer trying to strike the balls?
    If turning the knob results in nothing...then maybe your dongle is missing or loose. If thump, thump, thump...then something could be obstructing the ball path, keeping balls from reaching the launcher.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 08-08-2017 at 12:11 AM.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That makes better sense. I was told the top tray as you called it was the bottom tray since the one behind the machine I assumed was the top tray. The two green buttons drop unused ball from the top tray to the floor or when I do place a bottom tray below it. Thanks for giving me the proper terms for those.

The knob is able to rotate without anything restricting it. As your said, when I turn the knob nothing is happening. I don't hear a, "thump, thump, thump" sound as I turn the knob so something else is wrong. Do modern pachinko still use some kind of spring within the knob? I'm still investigating within the machine of the top tray itself to see if there's a way I can get into the inner workings of the knob without messing things up. I assume something like is either mechanical or since this is considered a modern pachinko machine to my knowledge then it is something electrical as well that isn't telling the machine to launch the balls as I turn the knob.

Of course I'm still pretty new to this and learning pachinko machines so I'm happy to try anything you and anyone else can give me to get this in working order.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Check your dongle and 1A fuse on the back

Looks like an old 25pin printer connector.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is what you're referring to correct? From the back of my pachinko machine?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's the kitty. The port is empty.
    99% of machine shooters will not work of there is no dongle.
    Did it fall out in transit? Check your box.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Really? Is that how it's powered and and bringing the message to the knob to launch the balls? I bought this from someone through facebook. I could ask her and hopefully she'll know what I'm talking about. When I brought it back home there was no box it came in. When I looked at it before I purchased the machine, I recall not seeing anything on that port behind it. Is there anyway I could find the parts online to purchase and plug into the port?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Daverob has the instructions to make a basic one on his website.

http://www.pinballdave.com/pachinko/...er.html#pinout

Also with a little history about them.

If your ok with a soldering iron. You can make one yourself or see if anyone has a spare. If your going to wall mount your machine or put it in a cabinet. Then I would recommend upgrading to the Daverob credit dongle. That then activates the 2 buttons on the front of the machine as well as the little display.
    Ian #UKPachinko

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do you mean making a card reader bypass dongle? I do have a soldering iron in my house so I'll give that a try and report back to see if that works. It's in its own wooden frame where I'll most likely either play from the floor or put up on a table when I take it out of my closet until I find a proper place to show it off.

What are those 2 blue buttons and little display used for exactly? Thank you for your help Drunkenclam!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello Zealous Dragoon and welcome to the group

I do have a few extra dongles if you cannot find yours or are hesitant about making one.

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When in a parlour they are for the prepaid card systems. Or cash acceptor attached to the machine. In short. The left button dispenses balls and removes credit from your card. The right button ejects the card. The displays shows available credit.
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 08-08-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Zealous Dragoon View Post
    That makes better sense. I was told the top tray as you called it was the bottom tray since the one behind the machine I assumed was the top tray. The two green buttons drop unused ball from the top tray to the floor or when I do place a bottom tray below it.
    So yours does have only one tray on front. I couldn't really tell from the angle of your pics...but it looked like only one. Most have 2 trays, not sure if they are trending toward only one or if only a few manufacturers experimented on a few models. Maybe cheaper to make...probably not. Maybe they just felt like the lower tray was unnecessary.
    Looks like problem solved...you need a dongle. Make one or get one from Petybob to see ho you like it. If you do, and its a keeper think about a Daverob dongle! Also called a card reader emulator...OK I had to go to Wikipedia to learn what an emulator is. "In computing, an emulator is hardware or software that enables one computer system (called the host) to behave like another computer system (called the guest). An emulator typically enables the host system to run software or use peripheral devices designed for the guest system. Emulation refers to the ability of a computer program in an electronic device to emulate (or imitate) another program or device. " The Daverob dongle acts like the "card reader" that is between each machine. Players buy cards loaded with credits, or use a credit card, or simply insert cash...not even sure if they take cash anymore. This device (the actual card reader between machines) is plugged into that port on your machine and tells the machine how many balls to dispense into the tray, it also activates or deactivates the shooter...hence your problem. I'm not sure why it deactivates the shooter...but my guess is so that someone don't bring in a bunch of ball bearings from work and try to win for free.
    The Daverob dongle "emulates" that device at home. The best part is you load up with credits, which are displayed on the LED which currently does nothing, and will still do nothing with a standard "bypass dongle". The Bypass dongle is what you would make, or what Petybob has to offer (he probably has extras because of upgrading to Daverob dongles), it simply bypasses the circuit that disables the shooter. Most machines come with a bypass dongle, because you can't sell amachine that don't work. I say most, because I bought a machine that simply had the leads of the 5 componants stuck into the appropriate holes of the socket and siliconed in place. Did you test the machine before you brought it home? If so, and it worked...then there was a dongle in place. It could have fell out at the sellers house, or anywhere along the way home.
    Good luck! I'm sure you will be playing it soon.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is a pic of a card reader that goes between the machines in a parlor. This one is Drunkenclams. I lifted it (without permission ), from this thread... http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...ht=card+reader
    I am amazed at the skills some of our members have!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The parlour I played in last year took cash

Also my Daiichi Minisuka Police frame only had one front tray.

MY CR units are still work in progress
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 08-08-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

21. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was thinking if there was a security type feature for these machines when I first learned of these machines. I thought if someone just bought the balls to play with for the machines then I thought that would be it. Not once did I think they take credit through a card reader on the machine. I stopped by the seller's home twice to look at the machine. At first I was there for an hour to see if it was working which of course it did not when we put the balls in the top tray. I didn't think she knew much about it herself since she claimed for one it worked before when she first got it over 10 years ago for her son. At the time I only thought there may have been something stuck due to the dust gathered on it since she left it in her garage without any cover on it I'm assuming. She sold it to me at a half price than when she first posted it on facebook. I did research on pachinko machines before I purchased it thinking I knew it would have everything. I didn't know about these card readers up until now because of you guys. Still a really fun collector's piece for me because I'm a huge Sega and Sonic fan...geek...etc. I'll see if the seller knows what I'm talking about at all (which I'm thinking she won't because she didn't have much knowledge on it functions) and if not I'll buy or make a dongle.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I sent you a P.M. and a picture link of what the missing dongle may have looked like. It probably fell out over those 10 years and didn't look like it went with anything in her garage. When I got my first modern pachinko I thought this is cool, you can print pictures too via a printer port!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your future of pachinko glory is now in the hands of our beloved post office
    (no offense meant towards our USPS folk-just a little )

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Special thanks to Peteybob for mailing me the part to properly operate the pachinko machine. That fixed it, no problem. Now I can enjoy as much as I can while I find room for it...somewhere. I couldn't have done it without him and the rest of you and your experience. I also made a donation on the website to help contribute.

There's just one last small problem even it's not major. When I purchased the machine she said she cut 2 of the wires for the speaker on the upper left and right inside the machine. Is there an easy way to fix this if I want the sound to function? There is sound coming from below the top tray so don't worry thinking it's not playing music because it is. I just want the full experience of it with all the lights and sounds as I play it you know?sound1.jpgsound2.jpg

27. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Zealous Dragoon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Glad its working,
    you could just joint them back together using a terminal block, but you will probably find the machine too loud for the home enviroment, Probably why they were cut,
    You could take this opportunity to fit additional volume controls in.
    Ian #UKPachinko

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm glad it is working for you now

Like Drunkenclam said, the wires were probably cut due to the loudness. You could add some lengths of wire to mount something like these on the back.
    https://www.parts-express.com/500-oh...shaft--023-500

Another volume control that fits well in tight spots is this one sold as a six pack and is easily installed with some soldering.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volume-Con...PYQ&rmvSB=true

31. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast