Thread: EU France Transformer info

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default EU (France) Transformer info

Hi all,

Anyone know of either a voltage converter that would work on a USA transformer equipped pachinko OR where to locate a transformer for a pachinko that's over in the EU already? Preferably France.

I recommended this one HYTED 2000Watts Travel Adapter and Converter to a client but it doesn't seem to work as a converter..... anyone have a better idea or can source me a transformer?

Thanks for any help,
    Bill

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: EU (France) Transformer info

Without knowing the power rating of the machine. I wouldn't like to advise. The one you listed would be fine on older machines. But probably not the latest models.

Why would you want to step down from 220 to 110. Then step down again from 110 to 24. Just install a 220 to 24v transformer.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's a older Takao from the early 2000's he didn't know what to use and doesn't have any knowledge so asked me to help. I know it's a 220 to 24V but being here in the States, Where can I point him to over on your side of the world?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use the UK version of this one to run my pachislos, so it should be fine.

(Taken from the French Amazon page)

https://www.amazon.fr/Eagle-230V-110...v+to+110v+300w
    Ian #UKPachinko

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You need a transformer type power converter, one that uses a big heavy wound power transformer. It needs to be similarly sized to the 110-24v transformer fitted to the pachinko, and will probably be just as expensive as replacing the transformer with a 220v-24v transformer. A wound transformer capable of converting 2000W will need a strong person to lift it and certainly couldn't be described as a 'travel' converter.

The small lightweight converters use electronic converters, and while the output voltage might be correct when measured, the AC waveform will not be. This will be OK for devices with modern switch-mode power supplies, but if used to power something via a wound transformer (like the one fitted to your pachinko machine), the 24v AC waveform to the pachinko machine will be severely distorted and could even be outside the voltage specification causing damage to the machine. It it does work, it will also be likely to cause the 110v-24v transformer fitted to the machine to run hotter than normal, and may cause it to fail.

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info, so doing more digging would this one work in the EU as a straight-up replacement for the US transformer?
    And then obviously he'd need to source out an appropriate plug for France....?

It's listed as "for mainframe computer" but at 10A it should be correct?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info, so doing more digging would this one work in the EU as a straight-up replacement for the US transformer?
    And then obviously he'd need to source out an appropriate plug for France....?

It's listed as "for mainframe computer" but at 10A it should be correct?
    That is listed at 10W not 10A.

The small lightweight converters use electronic converters, and while the output voltage might be correct when measured, the AC waveform will not be. This will be OK for devices with modern switch-mode power supplies, but if used to power something via a wound transformer (like the one fitted to your pachinko machine), the 24v AC waveform to the pachinko machine will be severely distorted and could even be outside the voltage specification causing damage to the machine. It it does work, it will also be likely to cause the 110v-24v transformer fitted to the machine to run hotter than normal, and may cause it to fail.
    Thanks Dave. When I saw that tiny covnertor, I though, How can that be rated at 2000W.

The one I posted from Amazon I have used on both my pachinkos (when arrived from Japan with a transformer on it) and on my 100v pachislos.

I can confirm, its not lightweight at all
    Ian #UKPachinko

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ahh, I didn't see notice the 10W vs 10A I thought it was really cheap for what the expected weight should be.

I sent that Amazon info over, hopefully it works.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Thanks Dave. When I saw that tiny covnertor, I though, How can that be rated at 2000W.
    Yeah, I have a 1500W 230-110v isolating transformer here (which would be about the same size and weight as a 2000W autotransformer), it's about 200mm square by 250mm high (8"x8"x10") and weighs about 15kg (~35lbs). If you tried making it into a plug in 'wall-wart' box, it would rip your sockets/outlets off the wall (and take most of the wall with it).

I've also got switch-mode power supplies that are rated at less than 1000W, and they are also significantly bigger and require fan cooling.

So I suspect that the tiny converter is just a single rectifier diode in a box. It'll only give you half the input voltage on the output, and will work (for some very small, non zero values of 'work') for purely resistive loads (eg incandescent light bulbs and heaters without motors). Anything else is a gamble on whether it will tolerate being powered by it or just blow up.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob