Thread: Current State of Modern Pachinko Market

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Current State of Modern Pachinko Market

So this can apply to both Pachinko and Pachislo..

So as just about anyone who follows these things has noticed the prices on modern machines has continued to climb exponentially. I came into this hobby relatively recently (2015) and now 2 years later the prices for new machines (imported) have doubled if not tripled in some instances. It's gotten to the point now, that I was able to import a machine for substantially less then buying from a US vendor. Now I know that not each machine is the same and title can have a big effect on price.. so I am looking at overall. And overall the new machines have gone up $200-$300 on the low and in some instances doubled $1K+.

It's no real secret that the secondary market in the US is weak not sure about across the pond... so when you pay $500+ for a machine you will never see that on the used market.. (rare titles not included)
    Examples of this abound on CL and Letgo and even Ebay..

So the next questions are.. is this a pricing bubble? How do US vendors survive? Is anyone paying $700+ for a machine?

And for those that are still buying where are you drawing the line?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I try to keep the total cost around $400 - $500 for a late model machine. I usually shoot for 10,000 for the machine with 3,000 for in-country shipping. FedEx economy for me is under 25,000.

I have a Girls und Panzer slot headed my way via FedEx economy. I paid more than usual but I was tired of waiting for the value to drop and I really wanted it. A strong dollar really helps.
    (FromJapan Charge 1) 27,500 + (Charge 2) 32,184 = 59,684

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mandoman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Current State of Modern Pachinko Market

I think another variable to consider is some vendor types might bring in extremely new titles in the hopes of being very popular sellers. But to get the newest will often cost the most. There is where you see the prices approaching $1k and higher. There is always someone that will be a first buyer but if a seller has to wait several years to move it then it comes to keeping even a meager profit or cutting their losses. I imagine the competition is up in the Japanese sales arena as are the costs of shipping everywhere adding to our cost.

Like Mandoman, I have looked to purchase direct for a few titles recently. I took delivery of a Star Wars Vader chibi last week for about $525 and have a Girls und Panzer pachinko coming soon for $510 shipped. In addition to these costs is my adding a transformer. So my high end is around the $500 mark, and more for these titles with Star Wars being popular and Girls und Panzer being fairly new still.

Would I ever buy a machine for $1000? No because I could get two or three titles for the same money.

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I should point out that unless you buy from a reputable reseller in Japan, You are buying as is with no warranty. The resellers charge almost double the auction price but the machines are meant to be tested and cleaned. Also they may have warranty but not honour it outside Japan.

Prices in Japan have been pretty steady for a while. Anywhere from 15,000 - 30,000 for machines depending on age and title.
    The UK Pound crashed against the Yen. So my final costs are much higher. After the struggle I had to sell the 2 Star Wars machines for minimal profit. It wasn't worthwhile. It (use to) cost about £400 to get a machine to the UK. Pay customs and vat. Supply and fit a transformer. That would be at rock bottom auction price. The buyers would contact me saying they wouldn't buy it for anything more the £200
    Seeing as we have no importers in the UK the market is very small and most machines listed are min 10yrs old. Anything newer has probably come from my collection.
    Ian #UKPachinko

7. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What shipping service/company are you using, the only rates I have been able to find are much more than that.

Juno wants to charge 700.00 to pack and ship to the states. UPS rates look to be in the 500 dollar range.

Just curious who you are using.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Briggs View Post
    What shipping service/company are you using, the only rates I have been able to find are much more than that.

Juno wants to charge 700.00 to pack and ship to the states. UPS rates look to be in the 500 dollar range.

Just curious who you are using.
    I'm not sure what the others are using but I have used From Japan http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/ for my recent orders. The deliveries for larger/heavier packages have had options of DHL and Fed-Ex express for delivery within days or Fed-Ex economy for about 1-2 weeks to me. The shipping itself was something like DHL=$350, Fed-Ex express=$300, and Fed-Ex economy=$250 plus some other fees that are common.

I asked Juno once about shipping machines and he said he still did but had a $100 up-charge. This was maybe six months ago and I don't recall how and why the extra cost figures into things.
    Last edited by Peteybob; 06-16-2017 at 04:52 PM.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

From Japan have good rates with Fedex.

As newer machines are over the 30KG weight limit for standard post office methods. Courier is the only way, Unless you have the machine stripped and sent in different boxes
    Ian #UKPachinko

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

...and I think that is what Juno has done by sending the cel and frame in separate boxes. I don't know if he handle pachislo's. This latest machine version of mine came out something like 15 months ago and the shipping weight is 89 pounds! Granted it is in one large box put into an even larger box but it is still a lot of machine. I think I will be buying someone lunch to get it up and into my apartment.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I need to do some more research.. I am looking for a few machines.. including a few on Frank's site but not willing to pay the asking prices and then end up with a damaged machine like I have in the past.
    Will need to checkout from Japan and see what is up.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by stampeed valkyrie View Post
    I need to do some more research.. I am looking for a few machines.. including a few on Frank's site but not willing to pay the asking prices and then end up with a damaged machine like I have in the past.
    Will need to checkout from Japan and see what is up.
    If you want to avoid damage we now have a store front in Anderson, SC that you can come to test and pick up machines and will start traveling to arcade and pinball conventions again. This hopefully will help with all the shipping problems we have had with both UPS and Fedex. Sorry for all the troubles with shipping but there aren't many cheap and safe options right now.
    Clover Collectables - the US's largest Pachinko and Pachislo dealer - [email]Contact@clovercollectables.com

16. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to jackdanielsx

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jackdanielsx View Post
    If you want to avoid damage we now have a store front in Anderson, SC that you can come to test and pick up machines and will start traveling to arcade and pinball conventions again. This hopefully will help with all the shipping problems we have had with both UPS and Fedex. Sorry for all the troubles with shipping but there aren't many cheap and safe options right now.
    Frank,
    Thanks for the info.. I know it's not you.. it's the clowns delivering the packages. After attempting to help a buddy repair a machine he got from you I just kinda gave up hope.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to stampeed valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

two more cents worth: Buying direct from Japan can be like buying the winning lottery ticket from a far off country that you can never collect on.

I got my Girls und Panzer pachinko today and thankfully it is in perfect condition. But at so many points can something go wrong from a bad seller to transit issues. You figure that a seller had to get it somehow and ship it to the broker. The broker repacks it as best as the worker of the day thinks is needed and it is passed off to a carrier. Then off of that first truck for sorting and onto another to have the same done once or twice more before leaving on the airplane. Handled off the plane and then customs has a free hand at it then back to the carrier. For me it was then put on yet another plane to my state, sorted and then delivered to me.

From seller to me I count nine to ten moves for this 89lb box that I now have in front of me. Things could have gone wrong at so many points with little to no recourse and I got pretty nervous when it stopped moving in Ohio for three days time. The outer carton was a bit tattered but the machine survived.

So yes I would always look to the more local sources first but this title was so new and I found a good deal, at least for me. In the end the shipping is still a huge amount that cannot be avoided whether you pay it outright yourself or if it becomes part of someone else's price to import it along with the related risks.
    Girls und Panzer.jpg

20. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not a pachinko but just to follow through, got my Girls und Panzer pachi slot Monday. The shipment was double boxed with a layer of bubble wrap in between (paid extra). Shipping specs were: Weight 119.05 lbs / 54 kgs Dimensions 35x22x20 in. There was a volume pot for each of the five speakers. The slot also included a plugin tokenless mod. The coin hopper was in place but unplugged. One nice thing is the machine uses 100VAC and has a standard PC/AV power connector (C14).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to mandoman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
    Not a pachinko but just to follow through, got my Girls und Panzer pachi slot Monday. The shipment was double boxed with a layer of bubble wrap in between (paid extra). Shipping specs were: Weight 119.05 lbs / 54 kgs Dimensions 35x22x20 in.
    Would you mind telling us where you got it, what carrier, and cost of shipping? I am always trying to find out the most cost effective method.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

PANZER VOR!!!!

I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    Would you mind telling us where you got it, what carrier, and cost of shipping? I am always trying to find out the most cost effective method.
    No problem.

YJA Item: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s531607179

FedEx (Economy) Tracking Number 728022441122
    https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrac...&cntry_code=us

FromJapan Invoice:

Charge1
    Payment option Deposit
    ① Final winning price 27,500 Yen
    ② Used Point(s) 0 Point

Charge1 Total ( ① - ② ) 27,500 Yen

( The fees below will be charged at charge 2 payment )
    ③ Domestic delivery charge 3,000 Yen
    ④ Payment Fee 200 Yen
    ⑤ Plan fee 300 Yen
    ⑥ Excess charge 0 Yen
    ⑦ Tax 2,200
    Yen
    ⑧ Combination Extension Fee 0 Yen
    ⑨ Charge 2 Extension Fee 0 Yen
    Charge2
    Payment option Credit Card
    ① Domestic delivery charge 3,000 Yen
    ② Payment Fee 200 Yen