Thread: Fist of the North Star machine help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Fist of the North Star machine help

Hey guys. I am new to this world of Japanese games. I have always been attracted to them. Today I walked into a thrift store, and there in the back with all the other electronics was this Fist of the North Star machine...for $80. Of course I have a lot of questions. Please let me know if this is not the right spot to post. Pictures of the machine, board, and all stickers/branding in imgur album link below

IMGUR link to photo album of the machine. http://imgur.com/a/fLKrJ

#1. it has the configure (google translated the kanji) key, but does not turn. I'm guessing the keys got mixed up at some point and I have the wrong one.
    #2. If that is the odds selctor key...and if it is the wrong one, I saw people selling new keys and tumblers on ebay. Would this be an easy fix?
    #3. I was playing it for a while and now it seems to be stuck in the bonus game, which I read is normal and must be played to completion. Is this true?
    #4. I cannot find the volume knobs....it is so damn loud lol.
    #5. I believe the maker is Sammy Inc.
    Sorry if my questions seem strange, or this isn't the right place to ask them. Im just excited to learn about this. I can also see this turning into a collection now. Once you get one...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Honda_CR-Z

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Fist of the North Star machine help

Welcome to pachitalk! Nice looking machine! I'm more of a vintage pachinko guy...more mechanical, less electrical. But I can answer some of your questions.
    #1: Do you have 2 keys, or are you trying to use the door key? All machines I have seen have a separate door key and configuration key. I have never called it that before...but I will accept that is probably an accurate name. We usually call it a reset key.
    #2: Havent seen the key/tumbler you are referencing...but if it is a simple on and off (SPST) key switch, then it will work...as long as the hole is the same size as the switch. A simple on/off switch would be cheaper and is the common solution. The job is is relatively easy. I've done 2, and I removed the power supply each time...just makes it easier to do. Unplug machine , then unplug all connectors on power supply. Remove and open power supply. The key switch will have only 2 wires on it, it does not matter which terminals on the switch they are attached to. A key switch, or a toggle switch may be used. Since it is a gambeling machine, in a parlor...it has a key switch for security reasons. This is not necessary for home use. Simply snip the wires, mount the switch, and solder the wires to the switch. Installation is reverse of removal. The only issue I had was...all the switches of a similar size mounted in a 3/4" hole. The hole in the power supply was slightly smaller. I suspect it was metric. I simply covered the circuit board up with a small towel, and used a file to open up the hole a bit. The towel was to protect the circuit from filings that could cause a short. This would be the only reason I would consider a key switch off of eBay...the switch would likely be metric as well. Depends on what is more important, time...or money. If you are a stickler for authenticity...then a key switch would be the only thing that would make you happy.
    #3: Yes...play it out. Even if you unplug it...it will remember where the payout is, and pick up from there. This is normal.
    #4: There MIGHT be a volume control. Usually on the amplifier (follow speaker wires back to the circuit board). Often a 3 position switch. Generally worthless. The 3 levels are usually: LOUD, EXTREMELY LOUD, and EARSPLITTINLOUDENBOOMER! You can get volune controls on eBay, one required for each speaker. Well worth the investment and effort!
    #5: I didn't look at the name when I looked at the pics. Sammy is one of the name brands, so if you saw the word Sammy on it...then yes.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 06-05-2017 at 08:37 PM.

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello Honda and welcome to the group

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So...I feel like an idiot. About an hour after posting this, I figured I would try and force the key that puts the machine into configure mode. If it didn't work, what would be the worst I could do...snap the key off. I was still looking at a $15 replacement for new key and tumbler.....anyway...about an hour after this post I was messing with it, and then it hit me. Why don't I flip the key upside down? I bought the machine and the key was already in the keyhole. so I guess I just figured that was the way it goes it, but was the wrong key. Well I flipped it upside down and..yeah...it worked lol. So yay...I can now set the odds.

I did work myself out of the bonus game. I need to find the manual for this machine so I know what I am supposed to do.

I did find the volume. It is on the board that is on the door. In case you dont know, google has a live camera translate app for download. So I fired it up and starting translating the Kanji on the machine. I pointed it to the board and 2 kanji translated to "Big" and "Small", printed next to a small red box on the board. I looked at the bottom of that box and there was a slider, so I knew that had to be volume. The tip of the slider is broken off so I had to use a toothpick to move it. The volume did get quiet...relative to the ear splitting volume it started with. I just leave the speakers unplugged for now.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On the subject of volume, would adding a potentiometer to speaker lines work for controlling volume, or would that have to be added to the board somehow?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes they work well and there are several types to pick from. You can place them anywhere along a speaker wire. You can even add some extra wire to move the pot to a more convenient spot to mount it if you like. Take care if and where you mount the pot(s) so that they don't interfere with any components when you close the door.
    Last edited by Peteybob; 06-06-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love these litle units.. bought them for Pachinko and pachislo both

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volume-Con...giPMdEtO_UVPYQ
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead