Thread: New Pachinko Owner here 1976 Nishijin No More War 3 with a couple of questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New Pachinko Owner here (1976 Nishijin No More War 3) with a couple of questions

Hi folks,

I recently came across my first (for now!) pachinko machine. I collect and restore pinball and arcade cabinets, and my girlfriend and I have converted our garage to a small arcade. A friend of mine came over one day and brought me this pachinko machine for my arcade "since I know you like pinball machines, and this one's like a Japanese pinball machine" - I know, I know, but he gets points at least for trying. None of this stuff is his area of expertise.

I had to strip most of the machine apart to get out old rusted balls from every possible place they could be (and a couple places where I couldn't figure out how they got there in the first place). Bunch of cleaning, adjusted some tulips, and a new lower ball track cover (THANK YOU @mxfaiman!), some new balls, and it works great, and plays fine!

Plays though it does, it STILL needs more cleaning. The chromed pieces are all pitted, and the art work on the play field (whatever the right term is for it) has a ton of water damage from cleaning. One of these days I'll want to strip the front completely and replace that artwork and buff the rusty bits back to a proper color, but for now it works enough to play.

I do have a few questions though. Apologies for not knowing the right terminology for some of these parts.

1) I would like to get the large lower mechanism cover off to clean under it - it's the big translucent plastic cover that on mine says "Nishijin Sophia". I've found where most of the screws are to remove it, but along the lower right edge of that cover (behind the long straight ball drain chute) it looks like there are two screws going into that cover from the piece in front of it (the part that's stapled to the back of the play field). Looking at THAT piece, it looks like I'd have to remove the first cover to access all the staples that I'd have to remove to get it off, so I see a bit of a catch-22. I've found some manuals online for this machine but they're pretty all general user manuals - does anyone know of any actual remove/replace type service documentation out there, or how i can get this back cover off? I've managed to remove (and replace!) everything on the back of the machine *above* this cover.

2) Is an artwork replacement the giant pain in the behind that it looks like it is? pull all the nails, pull all the toys, frame, everything else, and replace artwork? I've done pinball play field swaps before so I'm not afraid of the work, but replacing all those nails, wow. I'm not even sure how I get the some of the front stuff off.

That's all for now, but I can see how addicting these machines can be. Not sure I can live with only the one for too long! :-)

Joe

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jgeorge

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Pachinko Owner here (1976 Nishijin No More War 3) with a couple of quest

first off

Welcome to Pachitalk

as for taking the back off.. take your time... and take lots of pictures... before you pull the staples out take a small drill bit and drill threw the plastic tabs where the staples are.. drill into the wood a bit.. this gives you a 100% chance of getting the back back in the exact same place...

i have never replaced a cell... it all take time.. pulling the nails is not hard just takes time.. getting them all back in is not hard tap them in good and firm till they hit bottom and call that good.. the real time is probably bending the nails back on line with eachother so they look good.. you dont have a clue how bent they are untill you try and put them back and the heads are all out of alignment..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Pachinko Owner here (1976 Nishijin No More War 3) with a couple of quest

Hello and welcome.

Playfield replacements are not as bad as they appear. The worst is removing rusted screws in the tulips and features that don't want to come out without stripping the heads round. Also the large twister nails that hold the back board in can be a bit of a bugger.

Your correct about removal of everything. Both front and back of the machine for cell art replacement.
    Be sure to carefully peel the laminent off so you have a good template to prepunch all your nail holes again.

Please do post some pics, we love pictures.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks for the tips - i've seen your videos on YT they were super helpful figuring out how to make the thing work in the first place. i was unjamming rusty pachinko balls from all SORTS of places!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh man those are those twisty almost threaded nails that hold the board in? I hate those things. I never feel like I have the right tools to get them out without destroying everything around them. I have some old pinball machines that use those nails to hold the side rails on too.

I'll show you my dirty machine, you're welcome to gawk at it's amazing levels of rust and crud! :-)

IMG_2722.jpg
    I don't know why the picture is sideways, it's upright when I view it locally, sorry!

IMG_2723.jpg

At least the center bonus is in good shape!

IMG_2714.jpg

This was as far apart as I could get it to unjam and de-crud everything. The big cover still on it is loose except for the 2 screws that look like they were driven from the other side, not sure how that's gonna work out yet.

Cheers,

Joe

9. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to jgeorge

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello Joe and welcome to the group!

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh so close. A few staples away from complete access.

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just couldn't figure out which few staples it was! :-)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

on a scale of one to ten your machine looks to be a 6 or 7... about average... trust me when i say i have seen (and bought) allot worse looking.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances