Thread: Arrangeball Troubleshooting Tip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Arrangeball Troubleshooting Tip

This applies to Taiyo brand machines that have the rotating arms (bluish green clear plastic in the pic. disregard the red circle) for coin payout. I'm sure it applies to other machines with this type of mechanism but I've only seen it on Taiyos. Some backstory: I've called this machine "Flags" but it's proper name is "Bonus Line" after translating the characters on the front payout card. There's a couple different models of it-one with a carry over bonus function and one without. I shipped this machine from Florida years ago and it worked properly except that the highest payout (getting all the numbers in the bottom row plus a ball thru the blue pass-thru up top pays 5 coins) had been disabled. This is pretty common and after some trial and error I remedied it. The machine has played fine all these years until a few months ago when it would no longer pay the highest award again. I figured it was time anyway to have the two smaller circuit boards professionally checked as I was pretty sure it was a bad transistor on one of those boards. I just picked up the rebuilt boards the other day, plugged them in, and started a game. The rotating arms wouldn't stop spinning and a game wouldn't start. I manually stopped the arms at the "game start" spot and placed balls in the bottom row winning numbers to check the payout function and the machine paid out correctly. So it did turn out to be a bad component on the board(s) I suspected but now there's this new issue of not starting or ending a game. I removed the rotating arm to better examine the metal pickups thinking there might be trash or something preventing contact. They looked fine and so I examined the rotating shaft that turns the arm. It was no longer centered in the hole that allows it to protrude thru the circuit board. I removed the whole circuit board assembly, centered the shaft and tightened the two nuts that secure the motor. They were loose and allowed the motor and shaft to move just enough to misalign the pickups with their traces. I Put everything back together and have put several dozen games on it and it's paying and paying properly. The moral is, make sure the motor is centered if you're experiencing a continuously rotating payout arm and/or it stops in the wrong place.
    Note: can't upload pics at the moment
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Arrangeball Troubleshooting Tip

pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Arrangeball Troubleshooting Tip

disregard the red circle on the circuit board pic. this is an old pic from member eddie's machine that he sent when i first got my machine. i forgot to snap a pic of mine when i had it disassembled yesterday. the red arrow points to one of the smaller boards that i had rebuilt. the other rebuilt board is just to the right of the green header plug on the left side.