Thread: Mizuho sticky payout linkage??

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Red face Mizuho sticky payout linkage??

Hey everybody, I finally got to disassembling/cleaning the internals of this cool Mizuho machine I picked up on craigslist; when I bought it payouts were rarely working unless manually fiddling around with the payout linkage arm on the right side; I assumed because it appeared at one point in time some fool tried either putting some sort of oil or grease on several of the linkages; and there was obviously some sticky stuff (20+ year old grease?) all over the linkage that activates the center piece payout mechanism. It was obviously taking more effort than it should to move freely. Luckily this machine allows the entire mechanics and chutes to be removed with just a few "clips" that hold it to the background. I went about cleaning all the chutes, center piece mechanics, and tried cleaning the sticky linkage as best I could, first just wiped off most of the sticky stuff with a wet rag, then some CLR, and finally gave it a small shot of WD-40 (I know, not advised but figured it might help since already gummed up) in hopes of dissolving any remaining stickiness and to make sure no water found it's way in the joint.....afterwards it felt much better, freer moving for sure. Now the payouts "work" 90% of the time, however there's a big delay in getting a winning ball in a pocket and getting the payout.....like 10-15 seconds. A winning ball falls on the long payout activating arm/lever and VERY SLOOOOWWWLLYYY drops (I know from looking at my Nishjin and Sankyo vintages that arm should drop like a rock when a ball falls on it) so I pretty much have narrowed it down the joint in this linkage is still too sticky to move as freely as it should; the issue was much more pronounced before I attempted to clean the linkage joint; (before it would just get stuck and would have to manually move the linkage arm to the payout mech to induce payout). Any tips to for products for cleaning metal linkages like this? Do I need to take the linkages apart completely to clean?

IMG_1134.jpgIMG_1137.jpg

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Mizuho sticky payout linkage??

It it was me Id give it a squirt with brake cleaner ... Which is basically a de greaser ... That should remove any congealed grease in the linkage ... WD 40 is a no no ... that in the end gets really sticky ... Its really an electrical insulator for dampness ...
    Last edited by Jack The Lad; 11-28-2016 at 02:27 PM.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Jack The Lad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Lad View Post
    It it was me Id give it a squirt with brake cleaner ... Which is basically a de greaser ... That should remove any congealed grease in the linkage ... WD 40 is a no no ... that in the end gets really sticky ... Its really an electrical insulator for dampness ...
    Thanks....I'm going to try that, hopefully will remove any WD-40 residue as well! lol

If it still has issues, is it advisable at all to add a bit of extra weight to the arm (like 2-3 grams) so it's more easily depressed by a falling "jackpot" ball? Anyone tried this?

6. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would remove the entire assembly, polish the pivot points with some metal polish, and clean the in-accessible pivots with some good cleaner. I use the Dollar Tree's "LA Totally Awesome". Your payout mech may also be causing some of this feedback if not clean.

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

clean it clean it clean it
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thumbs up Re: Mizuho sticky payout linkage??

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Lad View Post
    ^ Good call on using brake cleaner! It really cuts through the dried up grease and gunk very well, will add this to my pachinko cleaning arsenal going forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    I would remove the entire assembly, polish the pivot points with some metal polish, and clean the in-accessible pivots with some good cleaner. I use the Dollar Tree's "LA Totally Awesome". Your payout mech may also be causing some of this feedback if not clean.
    ^Another good call on looking more closely at the payout mech itself, I was still having the issue after spraying all the linkage arm joints, and after much fiddling and tinkering discovered there was a bit too much "feedback" from the various nylon cams, contact points, and that metal hinge like doo-hickey on top of the payout mech; there was still some sticky red stuff on the cams and the ball release dump that didn't come off earlier with Windex all purpose cleaner....a bit of brake cleaner on all the contact points and wiping down all the nylon cams with a paper towel soaked in brake cleaner really cleaned it up and removed quite a bit more grease and grime. Now it's paying off like it should, rapid fire! Thanks everyone for helping get this resolved!

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have several different sizes hypodermics ... i would fill one with bake cleaner ... put rag under the linkage joint ... put the bake cleaner in at the top and work the linkage to get all the congealed grease out ... u might have to do it several times ... if that doesn't work it not the linkage bearing that's the problem

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Jack The Lad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now that is good to hear ...