Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Pachi Site - Need Advise

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New Pachi Site - Need Advise

Although I'm still looking for that perfect Pachinko machine (yes I am slow), I have started building a dedicated site for Pachinko/Pachislo machines. Main goal of the site is to get all machines listed and the idea is that the members of the site will actually add the machines. The basics of the site are done: site layout, registration and login process, and now the next step would be to allow members to add new machines to the list. I have the following questions to that regard:

1. Which fields should be required while entering a new machine?

> Type of machine (Pachinko, Pachislo)
    > Name
    > Style (Modern, Vintage)
    > Release Date (is this always known?)
    > Manufacturer
    > Number released (is that available somewhere?)
    > Estimated value (is this realistic?)
    > Description
    > Ability to add photos, videos, and a rating

Do all the above fields make sense - am I missing something or are some of these fields just impossible to fill in?

2. Is there a list of manufactures somewhere?

That's it for now. This is a fairly large project but this isn't my first rodeo so I'm sure we'll get it completed in a couple of months. Thank you for your feedback!

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Pachi Site - Need Advise

estimated value might be interesting. Like the elvis machine listed for 22,000 lol imagine trying to convince your wife to take a second mortgage on your house to buy it lol

everything else looks good maybe make release date optional

4. The following user says "Thanks" to samslack

Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by samslack View Post
    estimated value might be interesting. Like the elvis machine listed for 22,000 lol imagine trying to convince your wife to take a second mortgage on your house to buy it lol

everything else looks good maybe make release date optional
    Lol I'm hoping the estimated value would eventually become a guideline to give sellers an idea what machines are actually worth before going all overboard. How would i come up with this value though?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Release date isn't always known, and the Japanese date system can be a little strange so my SQL brain is kicking in and saying make it a character field and not a strict MM-DD-YYYY

7. The following user says "Thanks" to liquid_sky

Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Number of machines released is not going to be readily available; 99% probably get recycled within a few years anyhow. I agree with others, price is going to be a range that varies quite a bit and depends on many factors....geography, condition, perceived rarity , desirability, and how motivated the seller (and buyer) is.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

agree with all above

i doubt there is a way to know "Number released " either
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok great points, I'm not going to worry about number of machines released then and maybe use a price range instead of an estimated value. Same with the release date. Just a month/year if possible. I would prefer to use a date field somehow so people can search machines by date.

This brings me to my next question. What about iterations of a machine? Could it be that you have 2 different versions of the same machine where the software acts differently or where they added/removed features?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Does anybody have a list of the most popular Pachinko and Pachislo Manufacturers? Are they very different or do they overlap?

Also, I should allow people to enter in whether a machine has a chance button. Do they exist for Pachinko and Pachislo? Are there other special buttons of features that some machines have and not others?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Yob View Post
    This brings me to my next question. What about iterations of a machine? Could it be that you have 2 different versions of the same machine where the software acts differently or where they added/removed features?
    The machine title hints at the version. Updates are usually "sweet" or "light" versions, but that's not always the case.

CR新世紀ぱちんこ攻殻機動隊 STAND ALONE COMPLEX (1/288.7 version)

CR新世紀ぱちんこ攻殻機動隊 STAND ALONE COMPLEX GHOST VERSION (1/397.2 version)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. The following user says "Thanks" to mandoman

Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What about the "Chance" button. My pachinko machine has one. Are there pachinko machines with other types of buttons or features?

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

minisuka police 2 has 3 chance buttons (well that frame does)
    Ian #UKPachinko

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

3 chance buttons? What do they all do in that game?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    minisuka police 2 has 3 chance buttons (well that frame does)

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pot Luck
    Ian #UKPachinko

21. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's like a pachislo build into a pachinko machine then! The insanity! I read about pachinko machines with an actual joystick build in as well. Combining video games with a pachinko machine sounds like a great idea also. Would love to see a pacman teamed pachinko where you actually can play pacman from time to time. Wouldn't that be neat?

Anyway, thanks for letting me know, I'll make sure to add that as an option for ppl to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Pot Luck

Thanks
    Thanks Received

While a database type of site would make it easier to search for machines that meet a certain criteria, it's really just going to end up as a big searchable list of machines with a few bits of information for each of them. That might be fine for a list of video games or pinball machines where there are plenty of other resources on the net to find out more information, but for pachinko/pachislo there's not a lot of English language resources to go looking for anything else (apart from asking questions to the patrons of this fine site ).

I imagine for someone who is new to pachinko, finding a site where you can find out the name of your machine, when it was made and a few snippets of other information about it might be a nice thing to have. But where do they go when they want to know more? So I'd like to see more of a reference site, where we can add anything that might be helpful to that new owner, and even things that experienced collectors might want to know.

For example you could add background info on the theme of the machine, it's history (ie links to previous machines in the series), if something is known about the designer, or other production info. It would also make a good repository for technical info about the games. ie error codes and LEDs, battle counter connections, common faults etc. You could have separate pages for the pachinko frames with all the common information about the games that use each one. Pages with a glossary of terms or describing how common features work that can be linked to when they appear in a machines description.

On a database site, all this extra information would require a developer to add new fields to hold them (or in some cases even adding a new linked database) whenever something new or different is found, by the time this is done the original editor may have lost interest. So you really need the ability for it to just be added straight away while it's still fresh in the potential editors mind.

So I'd think the flexibility of a wiki could be more appropriate. Have a few templates for adding new machines, but if a machine is somewhat unusual and doesn't fit the template it can still be added, or if someone has found some interesting information about the machine that doesn't have an appropriate field, they can add a new heading on the page and put it there. It may require a few good editors to try and keep everything in a consistent style though!

24. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Perhaps you can work with this list

http://www.pachislodb.com/database.php

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mark1120

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dave - I believe you're making some really great points here although I myself am not a big fan of wiki's from an admin standpoint. I ran wiki's in the past and it is hard to keep them clean so by building the information forms myself forcing everything to be added in a certain format, I can much easier control all the input without having to worry that much about how the information was entered. I love your ideas about capturing pachinko frames with all the common info in addition to machines, and the ability to add information like battle counter connections, common faults, etc. I'm brand new to this community so I'm hoping I can lean on people like you to guide me in the right direction while trying to build this system. This will be a community controlled site where a few willing parties will be assigned an admin role to help keep the site clean.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Interested, this is the first time I've seen this site. I'll definitely take a peek in this. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mark1120 View Post
    Perhaps you can work with this list

http://www.pachislodb.com/database.php

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is there a list of pachinko frames somewhere?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Yob View Post
    Is there a list of pachinko frames somewhere?
    Not really, I've got some older documentation that covers most manufacturers from 2000-2006, after that it's a matter of finding the information amongst the new game announcements, press releases, or even just waiting for the frame manuals to appear on YJA. It used to be that you could easily recognize the type of frame just by looking, but modern machines are getting more custom plastic mouldings, and two machines that share the same 'frame' can look quite different.

31. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast