Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet building advice

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Cabinet building advice

Hello,

I finally have a place to put my 1975 Sankyo pachinko so I plan to build a simple wall cabinet for it. I plan on using 18mm MDF, simply because I already have plenty of it and the cost of real timber in the UK seems really expensive (I looked around and even 'cheap' pine would cost me £40 locally for enough to build a simple frame). I'll wall mount it using a french cleat plus a few extra screws in the top cleat and base support board once it's hanging on the wall for extra security.

I just wondered how others went about deciding on the size of the frame, I've taken measurements and my Pachinko is 530mm x 816mm -should I cut the mdf to exactly fit these dimensions or is some amount of clearance needed? If so, how much?

Also I've seen mention of ensuring the machine is tilted back a few degrees, how critical is this? (my machine does seem to naturally lean back on the base very slightly)

Finally how do you secure the machine to the frame? My thoughts are to drill holes through my mdf frame and the machine frame and then use 2 or 3 bolts each side to secure the machine in place - or would simple screws be better?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Cabinet building advice

Well to make my life simple I made floor standing cabinets. But all of mine are modern so I need vast ball collection and feed systems (still being built, The plans are in my mind, Although I just brought a major component on YJA )
    But I gave myself an extra 5 mm top and sides to take into acount any expansion, warping and defects. PLus I can slide one machine out and another in, so the hole would be 535 x 821. If your not planning on swapping machines in and out of the cabinet, You could probably build around your machine leaving no gaps.
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Cabinet building advice

Quote Originally Posted by ruckage View Post
    Hello,

I finally have a place to put my 1975 Sankyo pachinko so I plan to build a simple wall cabinet for it. I plan on using 18mm MDF, simply because I already have plenty of it and the cost of real timber in the UK seems really expensive (I looked around and even 'cheap' pine would cost me £40 locally for enough to build a simple frame). I'll wall mount it using a french cleat plus a few extra screws in the top cleat and base support board once it's hanging on the wall for extra security.

I just wondered how others went about deciding on the size of the frame, I've taken measurements and my Pachinko is 530mm x 816mm -should I cut the mdf to exactly fit these dimensions or is some amount of clearance needed? If so, how much?

Also I've seen mention of ensuring the machine is tilted back a few degrees, how critical is this? (my machine does seem to naturally lean back on the base very slightly)

Finally how do you secure the machine to the frame? My thoughts are to drill holes through my mdf frame and the machine frame and then use 2 or 3 bolts each side to secure the machine in place - or would simple screws be better?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    If you are not going to change the machine ever, make it fit with minimal clearance.

Test your machine plumb and see if it works ok for you.

4 screws is plenty to secure the machine to the frame. My preference is to run the screws from the inside of the machine (with door removed) into the frame. Not a big deal on way or the other though.

Good Luck! Post pictures, please!

Step 1.jpg Step 2.jpg Step 3.jpg Picture frame light no flash.jpg New Look with Battle Counters.jpg

I modified my set up a few times, mostly for pachinko ball handling reasons...
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

5. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice set up !!!!

I have built a bunch of these

If your interested I think I still have the noted of all the needed cuts for assembly I even have tge becel and miter numbers memorized to make those square funnels on top to feed. If you want I can look ti see if I still have them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

7. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to samslack

Thanks
    Thanks Received

measure twice at least, cut once

its easier to add a few shims then rebuilt the cabinet because you can't fit the pachinko in it
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. The machine will never be changed out of the frame so it looks like minimal clearance is the way to go (the chances of me getting another pachinko are slim as they are so uncommon in the UK these days) .

Those are all some great looking cabinets, I notice though they all seem to be floor standing - is that just personal preference or were there other reasons for that decision? The wall mine is going onto is a solid brick wall so I don't think there should be any issue hanging it though it does make me a bit nervous having never wall mounted anything as big and heavy as this. (though looking an my kitchen cabinets that are hanging on the wall by 2 little fixings and a few screws and are filled with heavy tins maybe I shouldn't worry too much)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Plenty of pachis in my shed
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Plenty of pachis in my shed
    I'm jealous.... Do you sell them then or do you just like to collect them?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Buy in Japan. Play here then sell them on its just trying to extract cash from people. Who don't want to pay more than would even cover the international shipping costs
    Ian #UKPachinko

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Buy in Japan. Play here then sell them on its just trying to extract cash from people. Who don't want to pay more than would even cover the international shipping costs
    The international shipping scares me a bit with something so big - not to mention the customs fees once it arrives. I would like to get a modern machine someday so hopefully one I like will appear at some point.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like my cabinet will be made from wood now after all. My dad works in a wood yard and is coming to visit next week and is bringing with him ready cut pieces of 20mm thick redwood to build my cabinet. It will be much nicer than MDF I must admit.

Off topic - I've just received 1000 pachinko balls which I ordered from "Pachinko Pagoda" on ebay (based in the USA). I'm very happy with them and the seller was great deal with so if anyone else in the UK needs pachinko balls I'd definitely recommend them.
    Last edited by ruckage; 10-03-2016 at 04:23 PM.

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ruckage

Thanks
    Thanks Received

20mm thick redwood to build my cabinet. .
    redwood in the uk.. that sounds expensive??? do ya have redwood treas in the uk??? wow i sound like an idiot!!!!!!!!!!
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    redwood in the uk.. that sounds expensive??? do ya have redwood treas in the uk??? wow i sound like an idiot!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, should have clarified - that would be European redwood (also known as Scandinavian pine).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry, should have clarified - that would be European redwood (also known as Scandinavian pine).
    lol... i would like to see pics of it in its raw state if thats possable... does it look like california redwood.. does it have the same bug and rot resistance like california redwood??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    lol... i would like to see pics of it in its raw state if thats possable... does it look like california redwood.. does it have the same bug and rot resistance like california redwood??
    I know very little about it unfortunately but it's not a particularly expensive wood, its from the pine family so is completely different to California redwood which from a little research I believe is Sequoia.
    It's very pale in appearance to begin with but gains a yellow colour with age. I'm probably going to stain it and then varnish it.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to ruckage

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I thought I'd show my progress so far. The cabinet is screwed and glued together and then the countersunk screw holes have been filled with wood filler - it feels really solid which is good. I've also drilled holes in the cabinet and machine frame (that was a bit scary) to allow me to bolt the cabinet to the frame.

There is still some work to do - a little sanding to very slightly round of the sharp edges and holes on each side to allow access to open the door and front glass. To finish I think I will just varnish the cabinet with water based varnish as I think the colour of the wood suits the machine really well.

Here are some pics:

pachinko cab wip 3.jpg pachinko cab wip 1.jpg pachinko cab wip 2.jpg
    Last edited by ruckage; 10-15-2016 at 08:35 AM.

24. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to ruckage

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks a nice simple solid design
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looking good... your redwood (pine) has excellent colors and grain paterns.. clear stain will look great

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the replies,

I'm still mulling over how to handle accessing locks on the machine, I think my only option really is to just drill the holes in each side to access the catches but it does seem a bit of a shame to cut big holes in the sides of the cabinet so are there any other options?

I know some people remove the lock and then thread a cord through to the latch but it seems like removing locks on a Sankyo machine is very difficult.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Cabinet building advice

Thanks for the replies,

I'm still mulling over how to handle accessing locks on the machine, I think my only option really is to just drill the holes in each side to access the catches but it does seem a bit of a shame to cut big holes in the sides of the cabinet so are there any other options?

I know some people remove the lock and then thread a cord through to the latch but it seems like removing locks on a Sankyo machine is very difficult.
    You could try leaving the lock and only removing the latches. Seems like there will be enough weight and friction to keep it closed. Open it by pulling on the finger rest post.

Don't you also want an LED light jackpot sequence?
    https://youtu.be/kvcKGnsQEIA

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast