Thread: This could get addictive...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default This could get addictive...

Hello Pachitalk!

So I was walking through the Mission district in San Francisco and stopped at a yard sale (which in this city occurs on the sidewalk). Among the vintage instruments, clothes, other cool things was this pinball thingy that looks like it could have been designed in the 50's, with lots of chrome but also with some plastic parts. It had a wood cabinet, and the metalwork was decent and not pitted.

"$100" said the guy with a heavy Spanish accent wearing a cowboy hat and boots.

"Does it work?"

The dude said "d'know" and shrugged his shoulders.

I'm mechanical by nature, but I've never seen one of these things before, so what the hell did I know. A cursory look at the back didn't show any obvious problems. I anticipated that it wouldn't work. I told him that I would back later.

A couple hours later, it was still there. He took $70 so he wouldn't have to move it back into storage.

After doing some research, it looks like I have me a 1975 Nishijin Shiroi Kamome Super Deluxe, Model B, with the M-11 Phoenix Butterfly play field.

i can't wait to get some balls to try this out. I've been looking at any available videos on troubleshooting its operation. I already see a problem though; there appears to be a piece of plastic broken off in the vicinity of the ball flipper mechanism in the back. Also a broken thin metal rod in the same location. I could really use a high quality photo of that area of a working machine to compare against. Like I said, I still don't have any balls to test with yet, so I don't know if this damage makes it unplayable or not. Once I get it in working condition, I will do a complete tear down and cleaning. Maybe replace the graphic on the playing field.

This is already addictive, and I have yet to play it...

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Tazo

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: This could get addictive...

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the group Tazo!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

first off

Welcome to Pachitalk

second yes a good picture of your machine would be a great help front, back and a close up of the problem are near shooter
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Waving Hello and Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Congrats on your first pachinko machine!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here you go. I point out the potential problem in the last two.

IMG_0311.jpg IMG_0312.jpg IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0318.jpg IMG_0319.jpg IMG_0320.jpg IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0322.jpg

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Tazo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is what one of mine looks like. There is a guide that will hold the wire in place over to the shooter.
    Pachi wire clip.jpg

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is very helpful! So it looks like the plastic rod guide is missing, and the rod itself is ok. I can fab a guide up. Getting the alignment correct will be the only tricky part. It looks like that rod is barely contacting that plastic lever in your photo; is that the correct alignment I should be shooting for? Does this rod activate the ball feed?
    Last edited by Tazo; 07-30-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes that how it seems to be from what I can tell. The rod lays level through the guide and is keeping some tension on the plastic lever in the ball shooter assembly. The end of the rod at the right side is spring loaded. Without the tension the balls stop dropping into place for shooting. With each shot this triggers the next ball to fall into place in front of the launcher.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just realized that I was looking at that all wrong. The rod has to do with the bottom chute for perhaps when it is backed up with balls. Sorry about that. The ball feed works without it. I’d have to break mine down to understand it more.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay I’m going to go out on a limb here and someone tell me if I am close.

Based on my short hours of playing and winning on the new modern pachinko’s, if the overflow of winning balls is to great in number then a lever (or something else) is activated to prevent more winning balls to be paid out. Only after enough balls are removed from the lower tray then the system will continue with paying out the winning balls.

Is this the same with the mechanical machines and is this related to the rod in question below?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    Here is what one of mine looks like. There is a guide that will hold the wire in place over to the shooter.
    Pachi wire clip.jpg

this picture is great... EXCEPT the rod that comes over from the lower tray is for over fill... it need to be moved to the other side of the plastic stub that is attached to the shooter...

when the lower tray is filled with balls (over filled to be exact) the balls push one a plunger... that plunger pushes the rod out.. that rod pushes the plastic swing arm "ball lifter to the shooter) over so the shooter will not load more balls.. once the player removes balls from the lower tray the weight of the balls is shifted at the shooter will work again...

now all this is well and good but is not really needed in home use.. if the original poster's machine were mine i would probably cut the wire as short and possible and leave it be..

my 2 (cents) Pachinko balls

peteybob.. move the wire to the other side of of the plastic stud.. the wire should not move when the shooter is puled.. in its current position you run the risk of breaking the shooter swing arm (ball lifter)
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tazo View Post
    Here you go. I point out the potential problem in the last two.

IMG_0311.jpg IMG_0312.jpg IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0318.jpg IMG_0319.jpg IMG_0320.jpg IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0322.jpg
    looks like a great machine.. needs some minor adjustments but, ill be if ya loaded it with balls.. reset the jackpot mech, it would play as is

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So that rod in Peteybob's picture is not aligned correctly? I'm having trouble visualizing the correct alignment as you describe. But it's not really needed? Well that makes my job easier. I won't cut it, but will see if I can disconnect and save it. Just in case.

Thank you you all for the help! Can't wait for the balls to arrive so I can try this out.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    this picture is great... EXCEPT the rod that comes over from the lower tray is for over fill... it need to be moved to the other side of the plastic stub that is attached to the shooter...

peteybob.. move the wire to the other side of of the plastic stud.. the wire should not move when the shooter is puled.. in its current position you run the risk of breaking the shooter swing arm (ball lifter)
    Thanks Mopar, I did not know that. I had just picked up this machine a week ago and it was handy for the picture.
    So through all this, I learned a few things. Thanks!!

Tazo, the wire is still level straight across. The far left end of it lays to the inside/right side of the thin plastic peg.
    Wire Position.jpg

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That makes a lot of sense. The other way seemed awkward. Thanks! I will come up with some sort of guide to replace the missing one and get the geometry to look like that picture. This is a great forum!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    Thanks Mopar, I did not know that. I had just picked up this machine a week ago and it was handy for the picture.
    So through all this, I learned a few things. Thanks!!

Tazo, the wire is still level straight across. The far left end of it lays to the inside/right side of the thin plastic peg.
    Wire Position.jpg
    looks great

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tazo View Post
    I will come up with some sort of guide to replace the missing one and get the geometry to look like that picture. This is a great forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    the rod that will stop you from shooting if you win to much and the balls back up inside...
    Here is a pic of where it goes.Attachment 82606
    You could fashion something out of tin with a guide hole like the one in the picture above (credit to Tink).
    This is of a different machine which Tink was helping another member with.

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, something like that would be perfect. It will be a little different due to the absence of the plywood mounting surface there on my machine, but it's doable.