Thread: Name that connector

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Name that connector

I have two machines in the Sankyo V-trigger / Lumina family, a Macross Frontier, and a CR Eva 7. I built cabinets for the both of them based on the plans from Ken Hoke, but without the upper ball reservoir.

Basically, I have no interest in having the machine payout balls like normal. Instead, balls would be scooped up from the lower discharge ramp and placed in the shooter feed tray (forgive my off the cuff terminology) to be played. The problem comes with the frame disabling its light show when the upper ball hopper is empty. On the standard Lumina V-trigger frame, it's not that big a deal since I don't think the light show brings that much more to the table, though some may disagree with that. It's more of a problem on the Eva 7 since the frame on that game is title specific, and a lot of ambiance is lost when the lights aren't working. Stuff like the Eva's eye, the countdown timer, and the blue/red warning indicator.

There's an upper opto sensor between the hopper and the payout dispenser (the thing made by Copal) that tells the machine if there are balls stacked up. This is easy enough to take care of with a zip tie to hold the sensor closed/block the opto beam. The tricky part is the payout dispenser itself, since it also has one or more sensors that count the number of balls payed out, which makes sense. If the dispenser is left connected with the upper opto sensor tied closed, as soon as the dispenser runs and no balls come through, the machine faults and the frame lights turn off. If the dispenser is disconnected, the machine faults and the frame lights turn off.

My goal is, with the help of a hardware engineer friend of mine, to figure out a way to fool the machine into thinking it's paying out balls when it's empty. I would also like to do this as plug-n-play as possible, without cutting up any of the existing harnesses if I can. We plan to scope and analyze the signaling between the dispenser and payout controller board to see if we can build a hardware module to mimic the dispenser, which means we need to get at the wiring while the machine is in operation, and I was hoping to build a custom harness to do it.

Long story short (too late), I haven't been able to identify the make and model of the connector used on the Copal payout dispenser, and I'm hoping someone can help. They look very similar to Molex CLIK-Mate connectors, but there are subtle differences in the keying that tell me it's not a match. It's looks like a blade style connector on the wire side, with the board side connector having no visible pins so I know it's not a Molex MicroClasp like some of the other connectors.

Here's a quick picture I snapped this morning (apologies for the rotation)...
    IMG_3121.jpg

I need to examine the connectors much more closely to see if I can find a makers mark, or some other identifier to turn me on to who makes them. Until I can get home to do so, I was thinking maybe somebody already has this information.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Name that connector

You've been a member for awhile, but since this is your first post I'll say Welcome to Pachitalk. Sorry I can't help you with the connector. There are a couple of us members from San Jose. Glad to have another.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    You've been a member for awhile, but since this is your first post I'll say Welcome to Pachitalk. Sorry I can't help you with the connector. There are a couple of us members from San Jose. Glad to have another.
    Ya, I'm a compulsive lurker. I typically only pipe up when I have something solid to contribute or, as in this case, I'm looking for information I haven't been able to find after extensive searching.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that connector look's like a Bob... yes definitely Bob... other then that i cant help ya...

wanted to say

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was going to say Fred.

So your going to tap into the motor power to send impulses back to the processor to think its payout balls. Some auto play units do something similar using the trapdoor power to speed up jackpots
    Ian #UKPachinko

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

to the show .

Yahoo Japanese auctions has those cell control kits for those who do not want the Parlor Experience .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post

Yahoo Japanese auctions has those cell control kits for those who do not want the Parlor Experience .
    True. But I've never seen one that taps into the frame payout system. Mind you. I've never looked
    Ian #UKPachinko

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe JST makes most of the connectors for Sankyo

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

11. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    I believe JST makes most of the connectors for Sankyo
    Ya know, it looks like it may just be a JST connector of their NSH variety. Although, the locking tab doesn't appear to be the same dimensions, so it may be close but not close enough.

I gotta get my calipers out and do some measurements.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a switch box unit for this machine (V-Trigger) that eliminates the balls altogether. Push one button starts the reels spinning. flip the switch and it just does a continuous auto play. Go it from my supplier but my customer didn't want it.
    Comes with install instructions (in Japanese) the only "cut" you need to do is to splice in 1 power line from the bottom back, otherwise it's just swapping out quick connects across the back. LMK.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe that is a JST EH series Can you take a picture of the front head on so I can see the keysone pattern. I have a few Sankyo machines they are awesome. Honestly some of these machines are a work of art as far as I am concerned. Take a look at this spec sheet see if this helps identify it as the JST EH. I am noticing that they do use a ton of JST connector on a bunch that I have

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eEH.pdf

Note this spec sheet is for many different sizes make sure you get the right size I made that mistake
    Last edited by samslack; 10-06-2016 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added note