Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sooooooo, how many Beers does it take to build a deck anyways?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool Sooooooo, how many Beers does it take to build a deck anyways?

So here's what I've been doing lately...I started out with this. A nice size deck, but rotten to the core, including the adjacent porch overhang 4X4 posts. A couple more snow packs on the roof and I would have lost a nice shaded part of the back porch.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

So I ripped it all out:

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

And under it all it had some really nice size cement footers, one of which was almost 2 feet across and 3 feet deep. No way to get that out of the hole, so we got a luck hit with the sledgehammer and we buried two smaller pieces deep down in the dirt.

7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sooooooo, how many Beers does it take to build a deck anyways?

Next came re-grading the dirt and putting new footers in(and new paint on the siding somewhere along the way):

10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

Then the base framing and the first two 4X4 supports:

13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg

Then some more framing and the new step for the sliding door. The new deck boards are Trex that match the paint on the siding:

16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

Sorry, I lost count of how many beers went into getting this far. All total this took 3 other guys, two daughters, and my wife to get this far. I'll post more pics as I get the Trex boards set it and the cool tool I got to set the deck screws in.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

4. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Lookin' good so far!!

Looks like a lot of work..makes me tired just looking at the pictures!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i'm in the same boat. me and the frau lucked out (her sis is a realtor) and got a steal of a deal on an amazing split level mid-century house with a 2nd story deck that wraps around the rear and one side. the deck is where we spend lots of time entertaining as it has views of the west hills here in pdx. anywho, i was doing some maintenance on it and realized there's definitely some boards that need to be replaced and then it became a question of fixing or redoing the entire thing. my first thought was the composite boards but they've had their share of issues and lawsuits with sub-par products in the past. supposedly though that's all been remedied but i spoke with a contractor that i use for lots of projects (we flip houses once or twice a year) and he much preferred natural wood but works with both. he suggested ipe wood which is expensive and rough on tools but i'm still really interested in composite. what made you choose trex? for my project, the beer will be measured in kegs.
    thanks.
    Last edited by emmadog; 06-17-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did not want to replace deck boards ever again. Plus they had a color that matched the siding paint we already started with. My neighbor had an issue when he put his trex in, but it was a factory issue in Vegas at the time. They paid to replace them and he's been happy with it ever since.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    i'm in the same boat. me and the frau lucked out (her sis is a realtor) and got a steal of a deal on an amazing split level mid-century house with a 2nd story deck that wraps around the rear and one side. the deck is where we spend lots of time entertaining as it has views of the west hills here in pdx. anywho, i was doing some maintenance on it and realized there's definitely some boards that need to be replaced and then it became a question of fixing or redoing the entire thing. my first thought was the composite boards but they've had their share of issues and lawsuits with sub-par products in the past. supposedly though that's all been remedied but i spoke with a contractor that i use for lots of projects (we flip houses once or twice a year) and he much preferred natural wood but works with both. he suggested ipe wood which is expensive and rough on tools but i'm still really interested in composite. what made you choose trex? for my project, the beer will be measured in kegs.
    thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by naha13 View Post
    I did not want to replace deck boards ever again. Plus they had a color that matched the siding paint we already started with. My neighbor had an issue when he put his trex in, but it was a factory issue in Vegas at the time. They paid to replace them and he's been happy with it ever since.
    with my new job (3years now) i sell it all.. we sell/stock timber-tech, trex, fiberon, ipe, batu, tigerwood, cedar and a few grades of redwood... decking is a personal choice.. composites have a great place.. but some people think a composite will last forever.. dont get me wrong there great, personally timber-tech has an amazing deck that looks like identical ipe.. most all composites have a 25 year stain and fade warranty... but the problem with most all decks is the under pinning or structure.. you look at and maintain the walking surface.. but never give a second thought to the underside.. dont cheep out..

in the end get what ya like.. spend the most you can afford.. and...... if you like the wood get wood but.. your going to have to maintain it sand it seal it every year, it will last 25 years..... composites have a warranty.. there covered.. but they can get hot and there plastic.. if you like the looks there great.. little maintenance, no sanding, staining etc etc.. the walking surface will far outlast the underpinning..

either way looking forward to seeing finished pics
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks for all that info, mopar. not sure when this project will start now that it's gotten larger in scope and there's a couple projects before this one. my decking and support structure are actually in good shape and i'm guessing it's not the original wood since the house was built in '69. we have the original blueprints and they show the deck but either it was added on later or the wood's been replaced but who knows? what needs to be replaced are the short 4x4 posts that make up the support for the rail and balusters. so that'll get fixed and done in a style that fits the mid century aesthetic. the current style is nice but it's sort of a generic look. i'm also going to replace the deck support 4x4's with either 4x6's or 6x6's. interestingly the lower patio that the 4x4's rest on was poured in multiple 2.5 x 4 foot sections. i'm guessing that was done for style reasons but there's a section of them that were/are subsiding directly below an area of the deck where we spend most of the time. so i bought new footings, secured them and made all those 4x4's plumb about 7 months ago. i then took measurements with a laser and compared them recently and there's been no change but part of this project will be to break up the patio there, pour new footings and use 6x6's to fully resolve that issue plus a hot tub may go on the deck above that area so it will obviously need additional support.
    this is a pic of the stair rail i'm going to build then a fence for the backyard and finally the deck will start.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Step block area complete all sides. Next step in the design is veering from the 45 degree corner to an offset angle that goes from that inset corner to the outside corner of the deck. One side will be 30 degree cuts, the other will be 60 degree cuts. Guess I got those triangle angles beat into me in pre-calc class last semester - 30-60-90, 30-60-90.... Anywho, I did a couple quick cuts and here's how it will look:

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Trex brand decking???
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

no subfloor????
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

20. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

image.jpg

Yes, it's Trex brand. Also, no sub floor, just beefy framing. Rain and snowmelt would destroy a sub floor out in the open. Here's how my design is coming out. Just a few more cuts and I'll have half of it done.

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very , Very nice work of beauty .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

24. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

10 hours later and I'm beat down. But, only 7 more boards to set in! Here's a view from a few steps up the hill out back:

image.jpg

26. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

28. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That loos great and going the diagonal route was the right choice. I like that color as well.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks to Pythagorus and his triangle theories. Plus I got all that 30-60-90 degree triangle crap drilled into me in pre-calc class last semester. An old dog can learn new tricks. Arf arf

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

3, 6, 9
    The goose drank wine the monkey chewd the tabacco on the street car line and the line broke and the monkey got chocked and they all went to heaven in a lil row boat clap clap.
    Ian #UKPachinko

33. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My knees feel like they got "chocked"

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    3, 6, 9
    The goose drank wine the monkey chewd the tabacco on the street car line and the line broke and the monkey got chocked and they all went to heaven in a lil row boat clap clap.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Re: Sooooooo, how many Beers does it take to build a deck anyways?

Here's the finished deck!

36. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks Great!!
    What was the final beer count? lol

38. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast