Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Resistor size for volume control?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Resistor size for volume control

Quote Originally Posted by AnythingObscure View Post

Meanwhiles before I actually do so -- does anyone have any advice as to what I should do with the existing amplifier and its volume control to avoid inadvertently damaging them in process?? My natural inclination would be to leave all existing set (as it is now) at its lowest volume level and then use the new pots to further 'attenuate' that signal level as little as possible more to tone it down -- in other words adding as little as possible further "purely resistive" load to the machine's amplifier. Beyond that my experience doesn't go too far into the whole "inductive" part of amplifiers and speaker systems though...is there a chance it might be better to do something else to ultimately keep all that stuff happy and unmelted/fried...??
    im not expert but i have read and been told to leave volume control at its high setting..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Sandwich Shooter AnythingObscure's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well it took me a bit longer than expected to get around to it, but prompted by a few more recent visits by 2yr old Junior (who upon arrival at my house now tends to run straight to the pachi, point at it, and say "GAME -- GAME" until I turn it on for him... ) I took those as-predicted just a couple minutes to actually hook up the 500 ohm pots today.

So far so good -- they seem to do a wonderful job of taming it down to a 'more comfortable' home listening level...? :-)

volumepots1.gif
    Tim
    "I didn't do it -- nobody saw me do it -- there's no way you can prove anything!" --Bart Simpson

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to AnythingObscure

Sandwich Shooter AnythingObscure's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

OH -- forgot to ask. I'm still curious to hear others' more expert opinions on what to do with the existing amp settings -- at the moment I did leave it on its lowest setting (as it was) and it doesn't seem like I really have to add the resistance of the pots very much at all to achieve a more comfortable sound pressure level. My simple little brain would think that its amp might be overall happier this way than to push its output higher then attenuate it more, but that's just me...??

Thanks Moparperformances for your thoughts, which I might still experiment with...I've actually never heard my machine when on its HI volume setting, but presume it is similar to other folks' machines in being "too loud, even louder, then earbleeding"...?? <lol>

TIA for any further advice anyone might care to offer. Meanwhiles young Junior has indeed been showing a remarkable learning curve to playing the d*mned thing...the other night he hit some manner of bonus round (or something) which caused all kinds of (loud!) new noises I've never heard from it before -- then he went on to hit some or other variety of winning 3-in-a-row combinations for twenty-something times in a row...??
    Tim
    "I didn't do it -- nobody saw me do it -- there's no way you can prove anything!" --Bart Simpson

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to AnythingObscure

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

You left it in 6 ? (Very loose ) machine
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

8. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2