Thread: Tired machine needs TLC - hopefully not a junker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Tired machine needs TLC - hopefully not a junker

Hi there! I am definitely new to this and didn't know I wanted an old pachinko machine until I saw one at the thrift store and had to have it. I know it's nothing special and pretty beat up but I loved the look.
    The price was right (at least I hope so?) at $25 after my coupons and stuff and as far as I can tell everything is in tact and functioning - we also tested the lights and they seem to be good too. Haven't run the appropriate number of balls through it yet, didn't want to invest any more until I knew it was worth it. Front glass is missing.

No idea what happened to the paint on the playfield elements, gonna guess it was left in the sun for a long time ... it's REALLY dusty too, and I understand that replacing the backboard art is quite an undertaking, though it might be a fun project for someday.

I think all I want to start with is cleaning it and repainting all those dolphins. I'm an artist, not a mechanic or engineer, so if everything in the back is OK I think I'd have fun working on this. Do you have any suggestions for an appropriate paint to use once the pieces are stripped? Hobby enamel? Artists acrylic (since the balls shouldn't be hitting them at the front)? Something else?

Thanks for letting me share!
    Here is a link to a bigger version of the photo of the back as well - mhILqm3.jpg

aIhPCOU.jpgy5IvpY6.jpgERcxrBt.jpgmhILqm3.jpg

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to otters

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Tired machine needs TLC - hopefully not a junker

You have a Very Intact Pachinko Machine there

You do have water damage around the Brass Nails on the playfield but it doesn't affect the play . You can try a 9v battery to fire up the jackpot lamp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simple-light...AAAOxyyF5RVfgf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/800-GOLD-PAC...wAAOSwx-9WzIIn
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

4. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey, knock yourself out on the playfield repaint Water based paint for easy clean up and please post photos of your work
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, I looked at about a dozen machines before buying my two and never saw one in that good shape. I ended up grabbing two much worse ones because they were cheap and I gave up on finding one that wasn't in need of serious work. Looks like you got the exacta. Congrats!

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Rickyearl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome.....Nice machine Looks very complete including covers, nice find.

I like to use the Testors Model paint from local craft store on the plastics.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

first off

Welcome to Pachitalk

if your go0ing to use a 9 volt your good to test and get the lights working.. if your going to use a wall wart and plug it in to the wall i would recomend geting a new fuse.. the pic looks like a bras rod has been put in the fuse position..

nice machine great price.. excelatn starter machine... get some new Pachinko balls and have some fun..

where about are ya... (born and raised in SE Wa)
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by otters View Post
    I think all I want to start with is cleaning it and repainting all those dolphins. I'm an artist, not a mechanic or engineer, so if everything in the back is OK I think I'd have fun working on this. Do you have any suggestions for an appropriate paint to use once the pieces are stripped? Hobby enamel? Artists acrylic (since the balls shouldn't be hitting them at the front)? Something else?
    Front glass size for real glass or Plexiglass, place in inner track, 16" square.

I like the paint for plastic "stained glass" from Hobby Lobby. Very fluid and easy to spread around.
    Can't find it online or on their website.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey, thanks, I appreciate the advice! I'm glad to hear I didn't bring home a big piece of garbage.
    Going to skip working on the back cell area for now because that is more of an undertaking than I am interested in. Went through a lot of old posts here and I'd rather not fuss with all of those nails. Very excited to get the other parts cleaned up and repainted though!
    Lights were tested to work so I'll grab a battery pack like the one shared here, thanks.
    it does have a glass pane but the second front pane is missing - is that worth replacing?

Moparformances - I am living north of Seattle, but not native! I found this machine at a Value Village, they had priced it at $60 but didn't actually know what it was? Wouldn't have bought it for that price either way haha

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hobby Lobby web site ( Paint page )

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Suppli...levance&page=1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I bought the same style machine from Ebay back years ago. The playfield had quite a bit of water damage, and the paint on the plastic features was essentially gone. It was my first restoration job, although I didn't re-do the playfield. I did however take it completely apart, cleaned it, and painted the pieces. Came out pretty well, I thought. That said, re-doing the playfield makes all the difference in the world. Attached is a pic of my completed project.DSCF0387.jpgSeptember 24, 2009 (Sort & Delete) 021.jpgClose up of Nishijin B Dolphin - POS when I got it...had fun painting the plastic pieces.jpg
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

17. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog