Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What else is wrong with this Powerflash?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question What else is wrong with this Powerflash?

Hey everybody, I couldn't help but notice a little man Powerflash for sale a couple hours away however the seller knows nothing at all of pachinkos, I'm mainly familiar with standard non-electromechanical vintages or modern machines. The machine looks to be "ok" condition just filthy and obviously the transformer and part of the wiring to plug it it is missing. Seller is asking $150 but I'm going to obviously talk that down with the condition issues and the fact it's untestable in current state. I don't want to be stuck with a dud machine if there's too much electrical parts to fool with replacing. Should I bother with taking a gamble on this or keep looking?

Here's the pics the seller sent me, judge away! Whoever finds the most missing parts/defects "wins"!

20160218_142329.jpg20160218_142219.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What else is wrong with this Powerflash?

Other than the obvious jackpot cover, a low power screw and the 24VAC power cord, looks complete.

I would see if you can get a picture of the inner panel to see if the solenoids are there and if the inner looks ok.

The wingnut on the back left side would hinge open the back panel to reveal the inner panel.

I have a T-bird powerflash, still looking for the little man

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Other than the obvious jackpot cover, a low power screw and the 24VAC power cord, looks complete.

I would see if you can get a picture of the inner panel to see if the solenoids are there and if the inner looks ok.

The wingnut on the back left side would hinge open the back panel to reveal the inner panel.

I have a T-bird powerflash, still looking for the little man

Sweet, how big a deal is it to find a replacement or is that a cover piece that could be 3D printed? Or maybe Gerry rig something with cardboard, paperclips and chewing gum or something?

I'm just trying to get a list of defects (and potential cost to me to replace) for use in my negotiations to drive down the price.

1. Buy this kit to upgrade ALL the lights to 24v ($26)
    http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...products_id=40

2. Buy replacement jackpot cover ($5-20?) MacGyver my own cover somehow?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Apparently, the guy is a motivated seller as he quickly sent me this pick of the inner solenoids.

20160218_154726.jpg

What do you say oh wise pachitalk experts? Yay or Nay? (I'm aiming to acquire for less than $100 )

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That was quick... Looks like everything is there and in fair shape.

Any other Nishijin B jackpot cover will work, I added a lighted one to mine. You can always put a short straight piece of plexi from the 2 screw hole up towards the jackpot to prevent the balls from jumping out and direct them down the shoot.

I would pay $100 for that little man, but that's just me. Less would be better.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That was quick... Looks like everything is there and in fair shape.

Any other Nishijin B jackpot cover will work, I added a lighted one to mine. You can always put a short straight piece of plexi from the 2 screw hole up towards the jackpot to prevent the balls from jumping out and direct them down the shoot.

I would pay $100 for that little man, but that's just me. Less would be better.
    Thanks for the quick reply! That was exactly what I wanted to hear about the jackpot cover. A lighted one is a cool idea! I'm officially in the market for a model B jackpot cover whoever might read this, please PM if you have a spare.

I just worked out a verbal agreement with the seller for $100; seems to be the magic number that's the most I'll pay and the least he'll take. Now just have to wait till Saturday for a pachinko road trip!

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks like a winner

add this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shack-25-2-Volt-AC-450-mA-Power-Transformer-273-1366A-24-Volt-/191798215324?hash=item2ca810829c:g:53kAAOSwJcZWdsma and cross your fingers the diodes are in good shape

100 would be fair if the diodes are good
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If memory serves, there is not much more than the bridge rectifier circuit which converts the 24 vac to 24vdc to drive the solenoids. Cheap to replace or even remove and use VDC only.

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If memory serves, there is not much more than the bridge rectifier circuit which converts the 24 vac to 24vdc to drive the solenoids. Cheap to replace or even remove and use VDC only.
    I just bought a: "Potrans Plug-In Class 2 Transformer WD482400500 24VDC 12V 500mA" since it appears to be the same one in the kit from pahinkoplanet (they are out of stock). This should work right? If somebody can tell me how to connect this without electrocuting myself it would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281623795711?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3A MEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well that desciption is not good. 24vdc...12 volts??? Looking at the picture shows 24 vdc, 500mA. 500mA I suspect may be weak for the solenoids. Once you get the machine post a good pic of the board. Should be easy to test. You will need to cut the connector off the wall wart. You also need 12 and 24 volts for the powerflash,12 for the lights. 24 for the solenoids. A center tap 24vac works good. 2 amp.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    I just bought a: "Potrans Plug-In Class 2 Transformer WD482400500 24VDC 12V 500mA" since it appears to be the same one in the kit from pahinkoplanet (they are out of stock). This should work right? If somebody can tell me how to connect this without electrocuting myself it would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281623795711?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3A MEBIDX%3AIT
    i have only ever used the transformer posted above..

but (a bit of a guess) you should be golden.. but now your going to have to either change the bulbs to 24 volt or add a second power source for the 10 volt lights.. thats the sweet part of the transformer above is it provides power for both..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    i have only ever used the transformer posted above..

but (a bit of a guess) you should be golden.. but now your going to have to either change the bulbs to 24 volt or add a second power source for the 10 volt lights.. thats the sweet part of the transformer above is it provides power for both..
    I think I'm going to try to make my own "kit" like this one: http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...products_id=40

Seems easier to just convert the 2 bulbs to 24v than have 2 wall warts. Does anyone know what size bulb base those lights are? "E10" base maybe?http://www.bulbtown.com/24_volt_led_...ulbs_s/394.htm

Also I noticed it's missing one of the 2 fuses....do I need to find another fuse or can I get away with just cramming a piece of wire or something metal in the fuse slot?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think I'm going to try to make my own "kit" like this one: http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...products_id=40

Seems easier to just convert the 2 bulbs to 24v than have 2 wall warts. Does anyone know what size bulb base those lights are? "E10" base maybe?http://www.bulbtown.com/24_volt_led_...ulbs_s/394.htm

Also I noticed it's missing one of the 2 fuses....do I need to find another fuse or can I get away with just cramming a piece of wire or something metal in the fuse slot?

Yes, E10 base bulbs.

Definitely put another fuse in there, 2A. Better safe with fuse in case the transformer ever shorts.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if you pluging it into the wall then i think a fuse is a MUST have.. if its just the lights and running a 9 volt battery then the fuse is optional

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just realized i've already got a large 24v transformer capable of powering 4+ modern machines, I use it to power my Cutie Honey and Treasure boat pachinkos, would it be ok for me to plug the Powerflash up to this transformer with an extension cord? Would this work for testing it until the wall wart comes in the mail? Or too much amperage??

photo 2.JPGphoto.JPG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: What else is wrong with this Powerflash?

I just realized i've already got a large 24v transformer capable of powering 4+ modern machines, I use it to power my Cutie Honey and Treasure boat pachinkos, would it be ok for me to plug the Powerflash up to this transformer with an extension cord? Would this work for testing it until the wall wart comes in the mail? Or too much amperage??
    Looks like your big transformer is set up for 100V input as opposed to 120V. That concerns me a little. Maybe there is a step down somehow.

The power flash won't draw more current then it needs (or the fuse allows).

Did you try it?

There should be a "lamp" cord coming out from inside the power block. That is where the 24V gets hooked up to for the solenoids.
    In this picture, the cord was really short and in two pieces, large grey wire.
    PF TBird Power Block Back TEXT.jpg

My preference is to start with DC. Less chance of bad things happening. For what it's worth.
    On this machine a few diodes needed to be replaced.

25. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Looks like your big transformer is set up for 100V input as opposed to 120V. That concerns me a little. Maybe there is a step down somehow.

The power flash won't draw more current then it needs (or the fuse allows).

Did you try it?

There should be a "lamp" cord coming out from inside the power block. That is where the 24V gets hooked up to for the solenoids.
    In this picture, the cord was really short and in two pieces, large grey wire.
    PF TBird Power Block Back TEXT.jpg

My preference is to start with DC. Less chance of bad things happening. For what it's worth.
    On this machine a few diodes needed to be replaced.

No, I have not tried it yet, I guess I'll play it safe and just wait on the DC wall wart in the mail. I did pick up the machine, and have done some light cleaning and polishing. I think this one might be a diamond in the rough with a little TLC (assuming the electric parts aren't fried) the light rust on the chrome came right off with some Brasso polish, just some minor pitting in a few places. I'm going to have to disassemble the shooter area because there's all sorts of crud and critters lodged everywhere where the balls feed to the shooter.

I'm somewhat fearful of what all might be hiding in the back of the machine before I test it with balls, this was stored in somebody's old dusty garage; is it recommended to take everything apart for full cleaning first or just see what happens? I've cleaned the ball chutes that are accessible without taking anything apart already.

Here's a what it looked like fresh out of the garage:
    photo 1.JPG

Half way polished on left side:

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

27. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks great, were you able to find the lamp cord coming out of the power block?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I plan on inspecting that power block today, it does not appear to be tampered with because it's stapled on with 3 staples, I need to locate my needle nose pliers to remove them without breaking the plastic as it felt it might break if I tried to just yank it off.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I pried off the cover and I see the two grey lamp cords, one goes into the circuit board the other is attached to the block/cover itself. Great news as my wall wart arrived very quickly today. Which lamp cord should I attach the white lined (positive correct?) wire from the transformer into?

photo.JPG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast