Thread: Need More Help w Sophia Single Shot

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Need More Help w Sophia Single Shot

Fellow Members:

I continue to move along on the Sophia. I think I'm down to one or two minor issues. Here is one with which I need advice:

I didn't have a gauge to measure nail height. Initially they were too high and I couldn't close the front door. I hammered them in more and can now close the door, but it requires a little force, indicating that, maybe, some of the nails are still too high. I have the glass on the inside (closest) track. However, when I shot a few test balls this happened:

More Pachinko Sophia 011.jpg

See how the ball did not fall into the tulip, but instead got stuck between the tulip and the glass? The tulip is where it belongs and the door is completely closed. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and possible solutions?

Thanks,

MXP

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Need More Help w Sophia Single Shot

i have seen this myself

one of two problems..

first and most common.. there are two slot on the frame for glass.. they are there to keep the player from using a magnet to catch and control balls my first guess is that your glass or plexi is in the first or front slot.. leaving a large gap.. solution is to move the glass or plexi to the back or the slot closer to the play field..

the second thing i have seen is from someone replacing the glass with thin cheap plexi.. this will not be stiff enough.. it will flex and a ball can push the plexi away from the play field causing the gap.. this only happens near the center and not at the edges where the frame holds the glass..

hope its that easy for ya
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Try tilting the machine back at the top, about 1-1/8" out of plumb.

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Measured nail height on a machine that has never had the nails pulled. They measured 3/4" (.740" actually).

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have had this happen. Mopar is right, buy a thick piece of Plexiglass. When I restore I have a block of wood that is about 2 or 3 inches long that is EXCATLY the thickness of the height of my original nails. So while pounding back in my nails I just set that block of wood next to the nail and always have the correct height. Especially if I have an entire new piece of wood for the play-field. Reused play-fields you can "feel and hear" the correct depth.

Another item that has caught me before is when I replace the spacer wood pieces (the wood between the frame and the play-field). Initially it looks like they are 3/4" thick and if you just run to home depot and grab some 3/4" pine your machine wont work because the original spacers are about an 1/8" less than 3/4". You'll need to re-separate the play-field and reduce the spacer thickness.

9. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to MrAl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Gentlemen:

I want to thank you all for the assistance. I did have the glass in the inside track, so that wasn't the issue, but I did put the slight tilt of the machine (I had forgotten about that, my other machines are in cabinets, so making that adjustment is pretty easy) and now it functions properly.

I did some final tweaking today and everything appears to be working fine. I still need to do a little fine tuning on the release lever that moves the balls from the upper to lower tray, but otherwise, it works really well. We have a little recreation hall here and I'll put it out there this week.

Thanks again to everyone for their support. I'm interested in doing one more before I leave here in August. If anyone has a vintage model (pre-1960) that they are interested in selling and shipping for a reasonable cost (I'm with DPO AE 09875), send me a pm.

Mike Pennell

11. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to mxp01