Thread: Replacing old fillament bulbs with new LEDs?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Replacing old fillament bulbs with new LEDs?

Has any one done this? No matter how good the battery or power supply I use I can never get the bulbs to glow bright and give off good bright light.

Can a 9v battery power modern day LEDs and if so what ones/ specs do I need to buy to get the brightest light? Do LEDs have positive and negative?

I'll replace them in a way that I can go back to the old bulbs if I want to.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Replacing old fillament bulbs with new LEDs?

Perhaps I can shed some light on this for you
    Incandecent bulbs like the machines bulbs are measured in candle power, probably about 2. LEDs are lumens, comparable would be 25 lumens. Choose a LED at 25 lumens to get similar brightness. Find an E10 screw base LED rated 9 VDC for easy direct replacement and use with battery power.

Depending on the machine, you may need to correct the wiring as polarity will now be a factor.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Howdy

One of our Very Own Member has come up with the solution

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simple-light...AAAOxyyF5RVfgf
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah sorry I did a search first but using my phone so not extensive. Ended up purchasing these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321042823829

I hopw they do the trick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

those are 12 volt, they won't be as bright using a 9volt battery???
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Auction said 9v - 12v?? Hope they work.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'll stick with my comment from ad

Description:

BRAND NEW

E10 Round 1 LED LAMP

"12 VOLT OPERATION"

Great for LIONEL / AMERICAN FLYER / MARX..etc
    Last edited by luckydog; 01-08-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by gnome73 View Post
    Yeah sorry I did a search first but using my phone so not extensive. Ended up purchasing these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321042823829

I hopw they do the trick
    use a 12 volt wall wart and you will be good to go...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Does say 9-12 volt on the headline, but not in the description. I have some blue ones that are similar. They will work throughout the range they are rated for. Less than that...they probably won't light...more than that, you risk burning it out. I don't know if they are brighter at 12v than 9v...but test one with a pv battery, then test one off your car battery (with engine off, otherwise you will be testing if 14 volts will burn it out). If the same brightness, use a 9v battery. If 12v is brighter, then use a wall wart, or get two 6v lantern batteries and hook them up in series.
    LED's are polarity sensitive. If hooked up backwards, they won't light. Fortunately this won't hurt them, just reverse the wires, and they still work. If lights worked before, and don't work when switched to LED...reverse polarity at the battery. If only one light works, and both worked before...then unsolder and reverse the wires...or cut, twist, and tape...depending on tools you have at hand. I only mention this because filiment bulbs will work regardless of polarity...but if posative and negative are backwads, LED's won't work. The machine SHOULD be wired consistently as far as polarity goes. But we are dealing with a machine wired 40, or so, years ago in a foreign country. Japan IS very good with electronics. If polarity is reversed...then I expect a redneck once owned it who fancied himself as an electrician!
    The most important thing is...establish that it works properly BEFORE modifying! If it don't function properly before LED's...adding them will only frustrate you!

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great post as always Pachiwall. One thing I wanted to mention in the first post but didnt was that the centre feature of one of my vintage machine has 2 bulbs both activated with a jackpot. Neither bulb glows that bright when activated even with a new battery. Take 1 bulb out and the other one gets brighter (means not in series?) anyway is this normal? i.e. 2 bulbs connected to the jackpot and neither glowing very bright at all (you can hardly see the fillament glow on either bulb). Im wondering if there is a wiring problem? I can get a photo in a couple of weeks when im back at my beach house where the machine is located but would appreciate some feedback from you guys.

I'm waiting for the LED bulbs to arrive (2-3 weeks as Im in New Zealand).

I dont have any power points near where I have mounted my machines and I hate seeing wires so I will look to install a 12v battery solution. Has anyone used a 12v lithium polymer rechargable battery from a RC car or plane? Reason I want rechargable is cause my kids use the machines and dont take notice of the ball out lights and can walkaway from the mahcines and the little 9v battery runs out. If this happens I can just recharge it with my RC plane charger station.

Maybe something like this which is 11.1V http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Thoughts? I dont know anything about mah ratings? Would the above rechargable battery option work?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Most machines I've seen with the dual center jackpot also have a single prize light. This is 3 lights on payout, standard machine bulbs at 10 Volt will be dim on a 9 Volt battery. Maybe the bulbs have been changed to more common 12 Volt and that will cause them to be very dim to slight glow as you mention. I see no issue using the 11.1 battery you mention, especially with LED's as they are very low power. The mah refers to milli amp hours, that being the hours it would run at the 1 milli-amp current draw.
    Last edited by Tink; 01-11-2016 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Most machines I've seen with the dual center jackpot also have a single prize light. This is 3 lights on payout, standard machine bulbs at 10 Volt will be dim on a 9 Volt battery. Maybe the bulbs have been changed to more common 12 Volt and that will cause them to be very dim to slight glow as you mention. I see no issue using the 11.1 battery you mention, especially with LED's as they are very low power. The mah refers to milli amp hours, that being the hours it would run at the 1 milli-amp current draw.
    While waiting for the LEDs to arrive I hooked up a 11.1V Turnigy 2200mah 3 cell lithium polymer battery to one of my Vintage Machines running the old filament bulbs. Now the lights glow super bright!! Its like my machine has a new life. I'll get another 11.1V Turnigy 2200mah battery for my other vintage machine now. Best thing is I just un-velcro dot the battery from the machine and chuck it on the charger when needed. I reckon that battery would power the LEDs being on constantly for days probably weeks on a single charge.

2016-01-11 22.04.37 HDR.jpg

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to gnome73

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very smart idea you have there you've taught this old Tinker a new trick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post
    Very smart idea you have there you've taught this old Tinker a new trick
    Thanks. Occurred to me why bother with buying multiple $1 9V batteries when you can get these higher voltage batteries for $11 and recharge them. They are high quality lithium polymer so will last a long time. My machine looks so much better with brighter lights.

Once I get the LEDs into the machine I will leave the ball out light on permanently and see how long it lasts on full charge. Should go for at least a week i reckon maybe longer?

21. The following user says "Thanks" to gnome73