Thread: Dave Robs laser Cut Ball lifter

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Dave Robs laser Cut Ball lifter

Anyone how Dave ball lift coming along ?
    Noticed on you tube he doing one out of Acrylic back in 2014

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Dave Robs laser Cut Ball lifter

x
    Woof!

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chumsize View Post
    x
    Thanks for the kiss Chumsize

5. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Pachinko Botan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know how it's coming along.

Basically, at the moment it isn't coming along at all. I got some nylon 66 to make a stronger gear, but the spindle on my milling machine was a little old and knackered and couldn't hold the tolerances I needed. I got a new spindle motor last summer, and was going to restart this project, but a series of home emergencies (rainwater guttering falling off the front of the house, the glazing on the back porch needing major repairs, and discovering dry rot in the kitchen) have taken all my spare time and money, so haven't had the time or finances to work on any other projects.

I should be able to spend time on a second attempt at this, once I have finished the kitchen (providing nothing else falls off the house!). The fungicidal treatment is done along with the floor structure and the electrics, still need to do the insulation, plastering, tiling, plumbing and laying the floor covering. Progress is slow, as I'm having to spend more time at the day job to cover the costs of the repairs.

7. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the update dave

One on you tube looks the part

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wish I was there to help Dave. As a Civil Engineer I already know TONS about construction PLUS I ripped my house apart by taking 9 walls about redoing ALL the plumbing and electric... Talk about a headache...
    I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

10. The following user says "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWLion View Post
    Wish I was there to help Dave. As a Civil Engineer I already know TONS about construction PLUS I ripped my house apart by taking 9 walls about redoing ALL the plumbing and electric... Talk about a headache...
    While I wouldn't claim to know TONS, I know enough to get by. The suspended timber floor, was just replace like with like. There's only crawl space under there and theres brick 'sleeper walls' every few feet to support everything, so it's pretty simple stuff.

I did the exam and got my certificate for the 16th edition of the UK electrical wiring regulations (just before they updated to the 17th edition!), so know my way around the electrics well enough and I have all the tools and test equipment. All the new wiring is in place, just need to connect it up to the fusebox and existing circuits.

I managed to blow up my 'DIY' SDS drill cutting channels in the brickwork for the new wiring. Dug out the site transformer and used my heavy 'Pro' drill to finish it off. One of the supression capacitors in the old drill went bang in a big way (it went with a pretty bright flash of light and resulted in a slightly singed beard!), so I'll pick up some spares tomorrow when the local service centre is back open from the new years holidays and hopefully get it working again.

The plumbing I need to do is pretty basic, adjust the position of the sink and add some pipework for a dishwasher, so no problems there.

I'm not confident with the plastering though, most of my previous attempts have required a fair bit of sanding down afterwards, but I'm getting better. Luckily most of it will be covered by tiling, so it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect.

I still enjoy doing DIY jobs, maybe not as many as I've had to do this year, but I still get quite a sense of satisfaction when I've completed something I've never attempted before. Just don't expect anything to be done quickly as I do tend to take my time.

12. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am not sure if you have access to it but I use a product called Shark bites for plumbing connections. No need for solder any more just push the pipe in and your done. Just cut where you need to, buy the valve or connector and use copper or the new PVC flexible pipe that comes in blue for cold and red for hot.
    You probably no more about electric than I do. I have a 200 amp box I just put a transfer switch on for my generator and I WILL replace the box to a larger one... Drywall, plaster etc. is just practice. I knew you could do it but help just makes it go faster.
    Glad its going smooth!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Kimba think we have them I'm sure they just call them quick fit piping over here (uk)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was curious so I did a fast google. At least over here it shows that for mostly Industrial Connections.
    As long as its the same thing Plumbing is a LOT easier and costs less in the long run.
    Kind of funny talking about Plumbing in a Pachinko Forum!

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

That connector looks to narrow to get a pachi ball through

Plenty of ball jams there
    Ian #UKPachinko

18. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not convinced about the long term reliability of these push-fit connections. I expect them to be OK for cold water connections where there's no likelihood of movement, but can't see them being appropriate for copper pipes with hot water. There is going to be some degree of thermal expansion when the hot water is running through the pipes, and contraction when it all cools back down to room temperature afterwards. This movement is likely to be taken up by the o-ring seal in the fitting and so it may prematurely wear.

Seeing as a failed rubber seal allowing water to drip onto the floorboards caused this entire dry-rot mess to occur in the first place, I don't think I'll be trusting an o-ring seal for a little while yet!
    As I've already got the fittings, solder, flux and a blowtorch from previous DIY plumbing attempts, I think I'll be using the old tried and tested copper pipes with soldered joints, and not have to worry about it springing a leak, with the added bonus of there being no restrictions to the flow of pachinko balls.

20. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have had these connections for over 13 years now on various hot and cold lines, zero leaks. My plumber suggested them and uses them on all his jobs where code allows too. The seal really works. You need a special tool to take them out too. They are designed to work under pressure though. For a non-pressure applications like drain emptying these will not work. A vid for showing the cross section below. I would not use for pachinko balls either

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    I'm not convinced about the long term reliability of these push-fit connections. I expect them to be OK for cold water connections where there's no likelihood of movement, but can't see them being appropriate for copper pipes with hot water. There is going to be some degree of thermal expansion when the hot water is running through the pipes, and contraction when it all cools back down to room temperature afterwards. This movement is likely to be taken up by the o-ring seal in the fitting and so it may prematurely wear.

Seeing as a failed rubber seal allowing water to drip onto the floorboards caused this entire dry-rot mess to occur in the first place, I don't think I'll be trusting an o-ring seal for a little while yet!
    As I've already got the fittings, solder, flux and a blowtorch from previous DIY plumbing attempts, I think I'll be using the old tried and tested copper pipes with soldered joints, and not have to worry about it springing a leak, with the added bonus of there being no restrictions to the flow of pachinko balls.
    Well I agree with you on those push fit connections

a few years ago, water started coming through my kitchen ceiling and it brought down part of it, not great as it was winter time and the heating and everything had to be turned off.

Seems the bathroom radiator in the room above, a nice shiny modern chrome one with new piping etc had been connected with one of those push fit type connections, it was recommended by the local plumbing store as being suitable for that purpose too.

well it wasn't, it failed and cost us a repair and new plastering to the ceiling, so not something I would recommend using (unless they are totally different over in the USA?)

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

24. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have seen them...never trusted them. I would use one in an accessible location, where I could inspect and replace it easily.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Get the blow torch out
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They used those push connections throughout our whole house that we just built. Also used them in the past with no issues.

100 machines and counting...

28. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah I remember back in the late 1960's when my dad showed me how to "Sweat " a copper pipe joint and we even had cast iron sewer pipes that my dad used molten lead from a pot to make a seal .

Oh we had a Real Coal Furnace ( Pocohantas Brand ) and taught how to start the fire in the heat box , stoke the feeder , remove the coke "Clinkers " from the fire box , and change the ash box on it and we even had a concrete Ash box in the back of the garage ( Brick and Mortar ) for scrap tin cans and ash box ashes .

Ahhh the Good Old Days
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

30. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I also take the long view too. These things are rated commercially they are in hospitals etc. They have been in my house for over 13 years now. PEX is a total system, I love the blue and read plastic pipe for hot and cold water pipes.
    But when I had to add pipe to get to my soil pipe? That was solid PVC into the cast iron with oakum rope and a poured seal. Though they now use a 2 part epoxy for intalls these days, once its there it does not come out...

I hope you get your completed as fast an safe as possible so we can see your completed ball lifter!

32. The following user says "Thanks" to KimbaWLion