Thread: Water stains

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Water stains

I've been looking around through the cleaning tips and past posts to see what I could find out about the water staining on the play field. It seems like the choices are live with them or replace the play field, does that sound right? Has anyone had any success with removing them or diminishing them at all? They didn't look too bad to me until I removed all the dirt and now they really stand out.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Water stains

Quote Originally Posted by Jbop View Post
    the choices are live with them or replace the play field, does that sound right?
    yeppers thats about it...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They didn't look too bad to me until I removed all the dirt and now they really stand out.
    Yeah....I discovered that as well.
    I have done 1 cell replacement. It truly is a lot of work. Nothing unmanagable, but a lot of work. The results are STUNNING! Probably the biggest problem with replacing it...is suddenly your chrome won't be shiny enough!
    I have 2 or 3 machines that the background is peeling, cracked or flaking off that I will replace the cells on...but probably not for water stains...unless they were really bad.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright, thanks. I'm going to live with them. I'll rename them "character" stains and I'll consider them an asset.

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Jbop

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thats a good way of looking at it. I have 20ish machines...almost all have some degree of water staining. Most, I can live with. Some make me want to do a cell replacement...but I know I won't.
    If you are somewhat mechanically inclined...and like a challange; IT IS VERY REWARDING! Not only for the stunning results that stand before you...but the feeling that you could do more than you thought you could!
    Last edited by pachiwall; 12-22-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would like to try that. Right now I have one-ish and after a lot of cleaning, bulbs, wiring, more cleaning, realigning, tweaking levers, more cleaning, glass and plexi replacement, some cleaning, rust removal and then a little cleaning - I think I'll leave this one "as is" for now. I like that it is very close to original and that it seems to be working flawlessly right now. I would like to get another one-ish and try a more in-depth refurb. I have seen some pictures of a "Steam-punk" vintage pachinko that I think is very cool. If I were to find one too far gone I might try that kind of thing.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Jbop

Thanks
    Thanks Received

would like to get another one-ish and try a more in-depth refurb.
    and the addiction starts..

we have a 12 step programs when your ready to seek help
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

12 step program???? Lol. Step 1 get machine step 11-12 repeat step 1!???!????!!! I have one machine that the staining is bad... I'll find a replacement play field on pachinko planet.com after I finish the one I'm replacing now :-) I agree with pachiwall... It's very rewarding and I'm not even part the way done :-D. Congrats on the machine and getting it working! Let's see some pictures!

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Gmwd

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've read these with interest. I am recently in the midst of a cell replacement and, yes, after considering the improvement that the new field and the cleaned up nails do to the appearance of the machine, then the chrome work has to follow.

I do need advice at this point: I am back in the USA for another week and now have access to hardware stores. Can someone tell me what type of wire you use to anchor and hold into place the metal circular ball guides? I snipped the existing metal wires when I disassembled the machine. I have used a lighter gauge insulated electrical wire when I did the initial rebuild (that was the best I could scrounge) but I'm afraid these might not be strong enough. Recommendations?

I return to Iraq in a few weeks where, hopefully, I will have received my re-chromed door frame. Interestingly, there's a near vintage machine on Ebay right now for a Buy It Now of $350. In this machine I've got about $750 already invested. From a dollars and cents standpoint it makes no sense, but from a restoration hobby standpoint its been a lot of fun.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

20 guage stainless steel wire, careful twisting though, pulled my 1st one right through the rail hole.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink