Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vintage Pachinko ... Re Chroming

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Pachinko ... Re Chroming

Yes we have a dvd copy on the island... bear in mind we all on the crew realize some production companies are on a budget, but... hahahahahahahahahahahaha! They put mountains on the atoll! Our mean elevation is six feet! How did they miss that? And the acting is errrr... uh... well a trip down memory lane. We also have both books... there's one rambling mash of a book written by the killer exonerating himself... gaahhh...

anyway, any tips on painting my ball catchers silver or chrome? (not the tulips... I gots plans for the tulips, see? Arrrgh, maties)

2. The following user says "Thanks" to blinddog14

Thanks
    Thanks Received

not sure what part you're referring to when you say "ball catcher" but painting any part that will have pachinko balls hitting it won't stay painted.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

4. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Prize pocket"! What did I call it... a "ball catcher"? Yes I'm a bit, uh, uninformed.

I just read the information you posted on pachinko history. Wow! Thank you very very much... I'm going to copy and paste that to a folder on my desktop. Very amazing historical document.

My gal and I are driving across country next week to visit relatives. We plan to scour the flea markets on the way in the off chance there are other nishijin single shots (or any single shot at this point). We're not big interstate travellers, preferring the state highways as our mode of conveyance.

I'm going to look into "re-foiling" the prize pockets on the 1965 nishijin. Once I got the mechanics working, I gave my girlfriend this machine because she loves the gazelles on the play field. It is egregiously water stained, but she loves it as it is and there's a certain zen or calming influence in that. So I am only allowed to fix all things rusty. And the lights. (waiting on bulbs... got the grommets...)

Oh hey a lovely day to all pachipeople.

I'm off to read about play field stains and replacement. For a, um, friend.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to blinddog14

Thanks
    Thanks Received

of the vintage machines, single shots from the 60’s and earlier are by far my favorites. the game play is slower, almost meditative and the simple, geometric graphics are great as well.
    I’m guessing prize pocket means the metal part of the tulips? if so, that’s something that will be hard to paint and look decent. I’d find a donor machine and just do a replacement of those parts.
    playfield replacement is easy but just takes awhile. plenty of very detailed threads on here about how to do it and a couple members sell replacement playfield graphics (adhesive vinyl sheet with whatever graphics).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Call McKay plating in Hampton. IL I had a chrome grill for a camper heater that had some rust done and they didn't even charge me. This is a small shop so may do small job. Be nice if people didn't hijack somebody's thread.
    Last edited by tincan39; 05-01-2018 at 10:30 PM. Reason: hit post button to soon

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to tincan39

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Everyone stay calm... I'm taking this thread to Cuba...

No, seriously, my apologies. I'm new to "threading" and tend to wander off-topic.

Thanks for the heads up about the chroming shop, tincan. I'll probably find something a bit closer to Arizona. I've got more than the door frame to figure out. This 1965 I'm working on has a multitude of chrome sins that I think I'll have to tackle each in its fashion. Like the door frame vs tulips vs silver prize pockets vs other stuff I haven't even considered. Each one comes with a different problem. But I am determined to bring this pachinko back to life. Just got all the lights and switches working last night.

I did glean some great info off this here thread about chroming and much appreciation to y'all. I'll stop now... I do not wish to bring the sanguine anguish to the gluteus maximus of any member.

good day.
    the dog

11. The following user says "Thanks" to blinddog14

Thanks
    Thanks Received

blinddog-don’t worry about thread hijacking on this thread. nobody posted on this thread for over two years until you did and he may have been talking about my palmyra comments.
    anyway, depending on your machine I still maintain it will be far easier and cheaper to find exact replacement parts. these vintages are all over Craigslist and I’ve seen plenty of cases where they’re essentially free if the whole lot was taken.

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DSCF2296.JPG
    So this is the play field on the 1965. Very subtle. The play field was very moldy when it arrived and you could not see any pattern but the splatter of grit and mold. The four prize pockets on either side of the center tulips are plasti-chrome, I think? They were brown with rust, but I've polished in place with super fine emory and brasso ever so lightly. I figure to spray chrome these items. Or maybe try different remedies on each and check how they fair along the way. (I'll start a separate thread when I get to that... with pics, of course.) The center tulips and attendant hardware I'll figure out as I go. They def need more protection than paint. The frame I'm still open to suggestions, but like the idea of powder coating.
    Honestly, this machine was in terrible shape when I bought it. Mud daubers and mold and rust and crust; it should've been a "parts only" machine. But I'm kinda new and dumb and well... I wanted one with every problem you could imagine so when I get to the next one, I'll be better prepared. I got that and more with this baby.
    And I know if I by one for parts, I'll probably end up trying to restore it as well.
    Which, btw, I just bought a 1969 nishijin with the conversion. But of course I'm gonna convert it back to a single shot. hahaha.
    Hey! Is that a squirrel in the yard?
    arf arf arf arf!

15. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to blinddog14

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did the same thing with the first machine I bought way back. spent time getting it fixed and fixing broken parts then realized these vintages are everywhere. Good way to learn though.

17. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by blinddog14 View Post
    DSCF2296.JPG.
    Hey! Is that a squirrel in the yard?
    arf arf arf arf!
    Sguirrel? Where? LOL

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi

Check out "The King of Random" on YouTube for DIY nickel plating.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to AJ Dragon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2