Thread: A Vintage Pachinko Story....with pictures I know how everyone loves pics!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default A Vintage Pachinko Story....with pictures (I know how everyone loves pics!!)

In January 1978, a good friend of mine got a Nishijin B Pachinko with the Jaws theme for his 12th birthday. His parents bought it from Sears, and I believe the price was $49.99. I was jealous as hell, and instantly wanted one too (didn't get one). Well, a few years later, I was in college, and I tracked him down, and bought it from him for about $25, if I recall correctly. Carried it around with me from dorm room to dorm room over the remaining college years, and it was always a hit (University of Tennessee). Well, after college, I had it for years, and finally decided to get the lights to work (had no clue). Took it to my cousin's house for him to work on, and after a time, my aunt gave it to Goodwill. OUCH!!!!!! I instantly needed to find another just like it, but it was nowhere to be found. I tried to satisfy my hunger with other machines from eBay and Craigslist, but none did the trick..........I had to have another Jaws. Finally found one on eBay in bad shape (the best kind in my opinion), and tore it apart.

In the meantime, I was in the middle of a job change, and moved to Indianapolis, IN from Nashville, TN. Before I left, I sold Bat (a member here who has not logged in in nearly 5 years) 10 of my machines. I kept the Jaws machine, an Arepachi, and my Powerflash. Again, the Jaws machine was completely torn apart, and the funny thing is that when I moved to Indiana, I had all of the parts boxed, and the very last thing that I threw (gently laid) on the heap piled high on my Chevy S-10 was the shell of the Jaws machine. Attached are pictures of the machine as it was when I first purchased it on eBay. Had a long way to go, and I will continue the story (with pictures) on future posts.

These are pics of it when I first purchased it on eBay.

DSCF0466.jpgDSCF0467.jpgDSCF0468.jpgDSCF0481.jpgDSCF0469.jpg
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: A Vintage Pachinko Story....with pictures (I know how everyone loves pics!!)

Been out of town, and haven't had a chance to continue my story.

So, after moving to Indianapolis, my Shark/Jaws vintage Nishijin B sat in the garage for about a year or so. Finally, I pulled out the box that had all of the parts in it, and began the cleaning phase. This is always interesting, as you watch the pieces come alive with a good scrubbing with the dirt and soot going down the drain. Then, shine the pins (not only the heads, but the stems as well. Difficult to do if you don't take them out........used Brasso and shoelaces. Finally, and this is where it gets really interesting, is the painting of the pockets and the center feature. Note the before and after shots:

IMG_0470.jpgIMG_0471.jpg11-23-2015 074.jpg11-23-2015 077.jpgIMG_0457.jpg11-23-2015 063.jpgIMG_0504 - Copy.jpgIMG_0506.jpgIMG_0505.jpg

The Shark itself was the most challenging, and I owe the result to Rival. I couldn't figure out a way to reproduce the Red and Yellow colors in the shark head. He suggested simply using Sharpies. So, I went to Office Depot, and bought some single-sticky sided laminate sheets (for use with business cards), and I cut out 2 of the designs of the shark head. Then, I put one sticky side on the head, colored in the Red and Yellow, and then stuck a second design over the first to seal it in. It's not perfect, but I think it turned out nicely.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: A Vintage Pachinko Story....with pictures (I know how everyone loves pics!!)

End Result:

IMG_0510.jpgIMG_0514.jpgIMG_0515.jpgIMG_0518.jpgIMG_0516.jpg

The playfield was not replaced, but I got the painted spinners from Rival, and I I painted the frame Brown.

Fortunately, I was able to acquire another Shark machine, and this time, I had Rival replace the playfield. I still need to bend some nails in place (anyone know how I can get a Pachinko-nail-bending tool?), and put it back together, but I think it will look fantastic with the new playfield. Stay tuned for the end result of that machine.

6. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog