Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What method do you use to prep rusty spinners for painting?

  1. #1
    Eye Shooter Mrtoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    608
    Thanks
    654
    Thanks Received
    605

    Default What method do you use to prep rusty spinners for painting?

    I have some rusty spinners to prep to paint and not sure what methods people have found useful and easy. The spinners on my other projects have all been in nice shape. The ones I have for my current project have chipped paint and rust on the edges. Not sure the best method to prep for new paint so looking for input.

    Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

  2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad


  3. #2
    Kungishi Tink's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,471
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanks Received
    1,095

    Default Re: What method do you use to prep rusty spinners for painting?

    I use rubber polishing bits on a dremel, then touch up the chips on the fronts, I've heard evaporust works well too, but have not tried that on the spinners.IMG_20150923_213409.jpg

    These were rusty a little while ago.

  4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Tink


  5. #3
    Sandwich Shooter browne92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Westlake, LA
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    67
    Thanks Received
    700

    Default Re: What method do you use to prep rusty spinners for painting?

    Have access to a blasting cabinet? If not, you could drop them in the mail and I could bead blast them for you.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

  6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to browne92


  7. #4
    Eye Shooter Mrtoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    608
    Thanks
    654
    Thanks Received
    605

    Default Re: What method do you use to prep rusty spinners for painting?

    Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    Have access to a blasting cabinet? If not, you could drop them in the mail and I could bead blast them for you.
    thanks Bill, that is very nice of you to offer. I think my brother in law has access to one as he is a sign guy. I will check and if not I will shoot you a pm. Thanks again!
    Mike
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

  8. #5
    Fever Hunter MrAl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    152
    Thanks Received
    484

    Default Re: What method do you use to prep rusty spinners for painting?

    Ahhh the evil spinner. I have spent considerable amount time trying to figure out the an easy way to paint spinners. Without a factory to produce them, hand painting is the best you can hope to achieve. I finally broke down and bought several hundred from Japan. I still paint my pink ones since those are so common and I could not buy those ones from Japan from the 70s. Here is a how to I wrote some time ago

    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/...R_PAINTING.pdf

  9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to MrAl


  10. #6
    Eye Shooter Mrtoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    608
    Thanks
    654
    Thanks Received
    605

    Default Re: What method do you use to prep rusty spinners for painting?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAl View Post
    Ahhh the evil spinner. I have spent considerable amount time trying to figure out the an easy way to paint spinners. Without a factory to produce them, hand painting is the best you can hope to achieve. I finally broke down and bought several hundred from Japan. I still paint my pink ones since those are so common and I could not buy those ones from Japan from the 70s. Here is a how to I wrote some time ago

    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/...R_PAINTING.pdf
    thanks the link. So do you no longer do it that way and think hand painting is easier?
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

  11. #7
    Fever Hunter MrAl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    152
    Thanks Received
    484

    Default Re: What method do you use to prep rusty spinners for painting?

    If i paint spinners I use the tape mask procedure shown in the link. I just did 30 pink spinners three came out as a failure. They are a lot of work. Stripping the paint, soaking in evaporust, hole punching the tape, waiting days for paint to dry. Peeling the tape up only to find some paint bled under the tape and starting all over again.

    One thing I may add if you decide to paint from the suggestion in the link is to remove the tape at a sharp angle parallel to the spinner not straight up and go real slow

    spins.jpga few awesome spinners from my last batch

  12. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to MrAl


  13. #8
    Eye Shooter Mrtoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    608
    Thanks
    654
    Thanks Received
    605

    Default Re: What method do you use to prep rusty spinners for painting?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAl View Post
    If i paint spinners I use the tape mask procedure shown in the link. I just did 30 pink spinners three came out as a failure. They are a lot of work. Stripping the paint, soaking in evaporust, hole punching the tape, waiting days for paint to dry. Peeling the tape up only to find some paint bled under the tape and starting all over again.

    One thing I may add if you decide to paint from the suggestion in the link is to remove the tape at a sharp angle parallel to the spinner not straight up and go real slow

    spins.jpga few awesome spinners from my last batch

    They look fantastic!
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

Similar Threads

  1. Tip on Painting
    By cardwwi in forum Vintage Pachinko
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-03-2016, 07:25 PM
  2. Spinner painting box
    By MrAl in forum Vintage Pachinko
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 12:41 PM
  3. Painting plastics?
    By Mrtoad in forum Vintage Pachinko
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 12:07 AM
  4. A different method of playfield restoration
    By Microbus99 in forum Vintage Pachinko
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •