Thread: Ball lifter belt potential 1000+/min and compact!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Ball lifter belt (potential 1000+/min and compact!)

Alright, quick update. I've decided on using a 12dc gearmotor for drive and locking the shelves down with machine screws and lock nuts. The motor voltage was chosen because the solenoids I'm using well pot a decent force out at this voltage (allowing the machine feed gate to be opened) and because this voltage source can be tapped into (as it will be in standby most of the time, in theory). Plans are in the works to add automotive cigarette lighter ports to the table as well, so people can charge cell phones if they want (just need their car charger and phone with them). Decided on a motor from tsiny motor that should have enough torque. Been doing calculations based on the gearmotor sizing PDF file that bodine has. I'm still figuring about 15lbs max on the belt at any given time, but have changed rpm and drum size to match the feed I wanted initially. The drums will be 3 inch in diameter (now I don't need a stupidly large drive drum) with a 20rpm motor. Each drum will be turned from a single piece of 4*4. With this setup I'm figuring 15lbs * 1.5in drum radius gives 22.5lb.in of torque. Double that because it's moving vertically instead of horizontally and get 45lb.in max torque applied by the motor to fight gravity and move the load across the belt. I'm figuring I want 50lb.in torque in the motor to satisfy this and keep it from running at full load all the time. The calculation for the incline isn't exactly right, as I chose 90° for the angle of incline for simplicity (sin 90°=1) and any angle less than that means less torque.

The rails have been designed. The bearings and axles sourced. Just need to obtain the belt, motor, and wood to make the thing. Before that, though, the machines need to be mounted and the bench I'm using extended slightly to accommodate the ball feed and return apparatus. I'll put up my schematics soon, when I'm not busy trying to compose an hour long presentation on new chemistry. Fun stuff...

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Tigerboyreii