Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nishijin Sophia Model B - need help!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin Sophia Model B - need help!

this is my exact machine by the way in case anyone is interested. 1973 Nishijin 'Centre Marine'

http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...age=page&id=10

2. The following user says "Thanks" to gnome73

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by gnome73 View Post
    Also when moving the seasaw it moves the paper clip yay! So Im hoping im good to go.
    We might be mixing up terms. The "paperclip" should be the restricting wire that goes up to a pivot then up into the machine...attaching to nothing.DSCF9341.JPG DSCF9352.JPG In pic #1 The "paperclip" is the wire that extends down to the lowers green part on the left. This holds the winning ball until the JP balls have fallen. Pic #2 shows the top of the paperclip. Actually the top could be called "the paperclip control rod"...but I'm not trying to complicate things. As you stated...it feels like it is not connected to anything. As you can see, it is not attached to anything! This is normal. When a proper JP cycle occurs, the white "tilting track" tilts down, and presses "the paperclip control rod" down.DSCF9368.JPG I believe what you are seeing, is when the seesaw moves down, the HOOK moves to the right, away from the rod that it holds on to.DSCF9367.JPG The hook locks the tilting track in the top position if no winning ball is present to lower the seesaw. You can test this operation without any balls like this: Move seesaw to down position and note that the hook is released. Now lift up on the hook, while watching the paperclip. As you lift the hook, the paperclip control rod will be pushed down. The transfer bar (made that name up) lifts the paperclip up. They are simple once you figure them out. But there is a learning curve.
    Nishijins are not the easiest to learn on...but they are the most common ones, so parts are easier to get! There are trade-offs in everything in life!
    Let us know what you learn. How many balls do you have?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Pachiwall - yes I understand all of your great post. Its great to see your pictures and inside the machine (yours looks so simple and so clean ha ha as compared to mine). Anyways I think based on everything that has been said in this thread that I do not have a problem rather I now just need to load the machine with balls and do some gameplay tests. I've binned the ~200 rusty balls I got out of the machine and have about 500 shiny new balls ready to go in. A couple of years back i brought about 10,000 genuine japanese balls (they look brand new) off a guy for $40 so I have loads. I frequently supply anyone in New Zealand that is interested in Pachinko - if anyone reads/searches this post and needs some balls (**PM**) me
    Today I've brought a 9V battery holder and a rocker switch and a multimeter (my old one died ) I plan tonight to hook up the electrics (hopefully) they work then load the machine with balls then test.

Fingers crossed I get no more issues and all is good.
    Last edited by hanabi; 07-15-2015 at 06:57 AM. Reason: **email removed as per Site Rules - safer to use PM to exchange personal details**

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to gnome73

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK so I loaded it with good balls and its works, well kind of. Most of the time it pays out for any jackpot hole hit but sometimes the seasaw doesnt return to the up position (ready to accept next Jackpot ball) then machine is effectively jammed awaiting reset of the seasaw. What would cause this? Im hoping the machine just needs to be run in a bit. I'll continue to test is and see if I can pin point the reason that the seasaw isnt working correctly.

Also I hooked up the 9V battery and none of the lights worked - upon further quick inspection the screw in copper sockets for the bulbs have minor corrosion in them so I suspect the lights dont work on account of the corrosion needed to be cleaned out. I tried the lightbulbs direct and they work fine

One other thing. My machine is missing the ball feeder track cover just before the balls go into the jackpot. I saw on the video this part is commonly missing and means the balls pop up out of the track. What is a homemade solution for this? Can I just use a piece of carboard and secure it in place on top of the 2 tracks some how? Is there a forum post covering this somewhere?

I cant wait to get my machine working 100% with lights.

Thanks again for any replies re the seasaw issue.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DSCF9352.JPGWhen the seesaw is down, the "hook" is pushed to the left. This allows the "tilting tray" (horizontal white bar/track) to tilt down directing the balls to the front tray. The hook end of this same bar lifts...with a linkage attached to the seesaw, lifting the seesaw into the reset position.
    Of course, sometimes the seesaw stays down...I cant say why. When it happens to me, it usually is after the 2nd or 3rd JP that did not pay! So I reset the see saw and wonder what happened.
    Often it is a low ball situation. At the place where your missing track cover is...there is a pair of low ball pressure plates. DSCF9370.JPG When balls press down on them, these 2 legs (arms?) move to the right allowing the other moving parts to process a JP cycle. If there are NO balls on EITHER one of these pressure plates...it, or they, will move to the right blocking the movement of the JP cycle.DSCF9369.JPG As you can see, the new position of the arms (legs?) NOW are blocking the movement of the JP cycle, preventing the dropping of balls on the tilting tray...THEREFORE preventing the tilting tray from lifting the HOOK that has a rod that is attached to the seesaw from resetting. I KNOW...that is a lot of words to describe "not enough balls". You have plenty of balls, so I suspect it may be something else.
    I only mention it because it is a reason that the seesaw won't reset. I never mentioned it before because I did not wan't to overload you with information you did not need yet.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The missing lower ramp feed cover will cause ball jams. That is probably your jackpot problem. It is more prominent in the Nishijin model B than some other brands.

You can fashion one out of cardboard, wood or thin metal. The key is to prevent pachinko balls from piling up. I would buy a replacement from some member on this site.

The lights are more of an art than a science. Please post close up pictures of: power terminal block, leaf switches (2), back of bulb sockets.

You say the bulbs are working, good first step! You can try putting a battery clip with wires on a 9V battery and touching the wires to the two terminals on your bulb sockets. Then you will know if the sockets are bad or if it is something else.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes the balls are jumping on the upper ramp so I will try and build a temporary solution. The jackpot/seasaw fails about 20% of the time which is very annoying. Sometimes I can here jackpot balls releasing but they dont come out the front or the back?!

Regarding Electrics... The leaf switch for the feeder tray empty function should this be open when there are balls and closed when there are no balls? Mine is closed when there are balls and open when there are no balls? Seems backwards?

I havent had much time to work on the machine but I should have more time tonight. I will take the photos as requested and let you guys know how I get on.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes the balls are jumping on the upper ramp so I will try and build a temporary solution. The jackpot/seasaw fails about 20% of the time which is very annoying. Sometimes I can here jackpot balls releasing but they dont come out the front or the back?!

Regarding Electrics... The leaf switch for the feeder tray empty function should this be open when there are balls and closed when there are no balls? Mine is closed when there are balls and open when there are no balls? Seems backwards?

I havent had much time to work on the machine but I should have more time tonight. I will take the photos as requested and let you guys know how I get on.
    Your leaf switch is backwards. Adjust the lever wire.
    This is also informative; the light should be on all the time in your case. Suggests that power is not going through the switch to the bulb for some reason.
    I would suspect the fuse first! Take out the fuse and squeeze the copper pieces a bit. See if a bulb will light with your fuse in line, using same technique as before.

The sound you hear of a jackpot is the center, jackpot payout filling up. The pachinko balls piled up occasionally vibrate free and reload; thus resetting your next jackpot cycle.

Max has a thread going on how to print your own lower ramp feed cover. Might be a good choice for you in Australia.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Max has a thread going on how to print your own lower ramp feed cover. Might be a good choice for you in Australia.
    I was just about to start creating a prototype. I searched forums for Max and lower ramp feed cover and found nothing

please link me.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was just about to start creating a prototype. I searched forums for Max and lower ramp feed cover and found nothing

please link me.

I believe this thread has the 3D printed parts:

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...nko-parts.html

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

14. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is a link to purchase one...

http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/...15&category=12

16. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

please link me.
    You can try making your own lower track cover. They're pretty basic. I've used a heat gun and some old thin Plexiglas previously.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to gooilers

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK so all electrics are working with the exception of the centre feature jackpot bulb which has blown - I will get his replaced. I fixed all leaf switches too.

The last problem I have is the reliability of the jackpot payout routine. As explained in previous threads sometimes (about %40) the jackpot payout routine fails due to (and this is me guessing)...

1. The jackpot balls as they fall onto the white shelf under the jackpot arent moving off the shelf correctly thus not moving the jackpot lever arm enough to reset the paper clip and seasaw.
    2. Due to the above the rod that pulls up on the sea saw isnt quite going up high enough to put the seasaw into the ball receive position. I suspect even if it was to reset to the ball up position the machine would still be jammed due to the balls not paying out the front of the machine - see point 1.

I've taken a video of 5-6 jackpot cycles in which you will see 3 or so fail (2 at the end)

https://youtu.be/ePVfSDCPzA8

My thoughts...

1. I was thinking of trying to pad out the rod which pulls up on the seasaw to reset it? thus
    2. theres a counter weight on the left of the seasaw - i could adjust this so it only requires the smallest rod up movement to reset the seasaw into the ball receive position i.e. move it slightly to the left side when your looking at the back of the machine.

your thoughts...?

I need to get this jackpot routine 100% reliable otherwise no point using the machine - my other machine is 100% which makes for a fun experience as opposed to a frustrating one

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have three theories. Glad the lights work, by the way!

Did you take it apart and clean it? It looks really clean in the video but I see staples.

Theory 1. On top of the see saw, there is a metal piece that pushes the latch to the right and releases it. Is that metal piece out of whack?

Theory 2. Did you fashion a ramp cover? It's not in the video. If the center jackpot is not fully loaded; the weight of the dropping reward balls is not enough to work consistently.
    Count your reward balls; if there are less than 11 (really should be exactly 15) per jackpot; that is probably it.

Theory 3. The latch is bent in a little; bend it outward towards the back of the machine so it touches the thin part of the plastic, not the thick part.

Too be honest, I've never has to do either of your fix thoughts on a model B...Comet II? That's another story!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Did you take it apart and clean it? It looks really clean in the video but I see staples.

No have not cleaned anything internal that I cant get to.

Theory 1. On top of the see saw, there is a metal piece that pushes the latch to the right and releases it. Is that metal piece out of whack? - Not sure I will check tonight. Can you elaborate on what the latch looks like so I know Im checking the right thing?

Theory 2. Did you fashion a ramp cover? It's not in the video. If the center jackpot is not fully loaded; the weight of the dropping reward balls is not enough to work consistently.
    Count your reward balls; if there are less than 11 (really should be exactly 15) per jackpot; that is probably it.

Yes I did install a ramp cover using 1mm flexible plastic (plastic Ice cream container lid) - I am confident the balls are not jumping or being obstructed in the lower ramp. I have not counted the balls but I suspect this may be the problem as they look less than 15 at first glance. Also most times as well as the main group of JP balls 1-2 balls come out of the overflow shoot at the bottom of the machine. Again a minor annoyance. I will count the balls. I see where your going with this i.e. <15 balls mean the white drop shelf mechanism may not have enough weight.

Theory 3. The latch is bent in a little; bend it outward towards the back of the machine so it touches the thin part of the plastic, not the thick part.

Will have a look tonight - See my response to theory 1 i.e. What latch are you talking about?

Too be honest, I've never has to do either of your fix thoughts on a model B...Comet II? That's another story!

OK I wont do anything with those 2 things until I've exhausted all options.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would suggest taking a few parts off the back and clean the pathways, chances are pretty good the balls are just not rolling freely due to rust particles from the previous balls in there. A good post polish on the payout shelf hinge can make a big difference as well. Take pictures as you disassemble so you can get it back together easily.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Last edited by CarlW; 07-23-2015 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As CarlW is stating...looks to me like the hook is grabbing on the large diameter part of the post. If so, SOMETHING has to be bent away from the front of the machine. First of all WATCH what is different when it DON"T work. That way you aren't fixing things that are not broken.
    Looks to me that the hook is grabbing the Large part of the post. Watch to see if I am correct. If so, then study the area and try to see "why' it is doing so. Bend what seems appropriate (ask if you are not sure), and post the results.
    The Model B machine is VERY RELIABLE, and usually does NOT need tweaking.
    Post pics before you bend anything!

26. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok so after many attempts I finally fixed it.

The fix was to open and secure open the paper clip lever. Keeping this mechanism permanently open doesn't seem to affect anything and fixes both my problems being payout Jams and some payout balls coming out the overflow shoot.

I now get 100% reliable and constant payouts of 15 balls into the payout tray.

thanks for all the advice and help over the months.

i've posted this fix/solution in the hope that it helps someone in the future.

Lets ts keep up the good community pachinko spirit

so happy.

28. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to gnome73

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with the oversized balls. Trash the rusty balls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2