Thread: Vintage machine not lighting up, missing power supply?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Vintage machine not lighting up, missing power supply?

First off, I've been lurking for a while. I owned a pachinko machine as a child, an old Nishijin Super DX - but I knew little about it. It just WORKED. Then, when I moved out, of my parents house years ago, it wasn't able to make the trip with me (packed everything in a pick-up and drove away). So, naturally, I've long had a passion to get back into the game. I just purchased two machines, one older Maruhon (unsure of the year) and a more-modern Maturi Apollo 13...and I'm thrilled that this form is here to help me get back into the hobby.

Anyway, enough about me. The problem I'm having is with the Maruhon. It's an oldie, but I'm not sure about the model. I've got a couple of questions, if any of you guys wouldn't mind helping me tackle them.

1. First off, any idea of which model this is? I'd like to know, for my own learning as a collector, and so I can tell people when they inevitably start a conversation about it.
    2. Second, what's up with the English text on the main playboard? It's weird nonsensical English, almost sounds like it's out of an ad, but not really. Is this normal, and if so, what the heck does it mean?
    3. This is the main reason I'm posting: this old beast is firing just fine, and I'm able to play, but the lights are not functioning. There are two cables (green and yellow) which are loose that appear to be connected to a power supply of some sort. Is this the issue with the power to the unit? Either way, any advice for getting this thing lit up and going? She's pretty and a nice complementary piece to the flasher Apollo. I'd love to have her lit up and going 100%.

I'll attach some photos to give you guys a better idea of what I'm dealing with here. Any advice would, again, be much appreciated. Thanks for having me here, I look forward to being a longtime contributor once I lose some of this ignorance that is holding me back right now!

DSC00001.jpgDSC00002.jpgDSC00003.jpg

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to The Colonel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage machine not lighting up, missing power supply?

Hello, and Welcome.

Appears you have a James Bond. Very Cool. The wiring is a bit hard to see what's been done from the picture, the lights are pretty simple, one driven by a switch below the ball hopper to give a low ball indication, the other light should have another switch along the payout path for a prize light. Could you post another pic of the full back?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i cant read the print due to the angle of the picture

as stated above please post a picture of the back of the machine straight on.. as close as you can to get the whole back.. (like your first picture)

take your time with the lights there only 10 volts from the parlor so no real risk of shock.. but the one thing i can see in your picture is some sort of electrical switch.. the switch is held inplace with a steel nail and that nail is touching the post creating the potential for a dead short..

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Vintage machine not lighting up, missing power supply?

Can you get to the bulbs to test? They might be bad... You can test the bulb with a 9V battery. Touch the bottom of the bulb to one post and the side of the bulb to the other post. Sure looks like the same mechanism as one of my NewGin's

DSC01573.jpgDSC01470.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the advice! I genuinely do appreciate it. Sorry about the poor pictures, guys. I kinda have it set up in a weird angle, but hopefully the following new photos rectify those issues.

Regarding testing the bulbs, I don't think I'm able to, as I don't have the front key and I don't see any way of accessing them from the back. That's something I've planned on securing soon (locksmith said it wouldn't be a big deal, over the phone). So perhaps I'll have to wait until then to give it a good test. Unless, of course, there's a wiring issue I can address now. Sorry for sounding so lost with this. Oh, and thanks for the info about it being a James Bond machine - I was guessing it was when I acquired it, but it was just vague enough where I wasn't sure. Good to know, thanks!

Also, I posted another photo of the weird English text I was referring to, lol. It's quirky but I have no idea why it's there.

DSC00007.jpgDSC00008.jpgDSC00009.jpgDSC00011.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No need for a key, easily opened from the back side. Still not sure what that little black item is, looks almost like a relay, probably not required.

Hope this helps a little.DSC00007 edit.JPG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

is the black thing an on/off switch?

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sometimes you will find vintage backgrounds with random English on it..just decoration I think..Like some American thing with random Japanese characters on it to look cool..I remember one I think had some on it talking about a sewage plant!?

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for the diagram! I'm still having trouble accessing the bulbs, as they seem to be glued to their wires - making them seem impossible to be removed. I'm having trouble there. Might just be user error on my part. I'm still trying.

Regarding the switch, I attached a couple of photos with the switch / wires and the area to which they're attached. I wish I wasn't so clueless about how to tinker with this thing, without fear of making things worse.

DSC00019.jpgDSC00018.jpg

It's just got so much charm as a machine, I don't want to give up on it without having it work in all of its glory. At this point, if I can get some sort of power supply attached to those wires, I think I'd be able to see SOMETHING happen - but as of now, it's been a no-go.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The bulb sockets look like they are in a plastic holder. The plastic holder has a tab on the back. Try wiggling that tab back and forth while pulling out.

What you will then see is a bulb in a screw socket. Unscrew the bulb and see if it works.

The switch in your hand is a simple on/off toggle switch.

Rest assured you can't make anything worse with a 9V battery. Worse thing that can happen is you drain the battery.

The low reward tray switch is a micro switch with a lever arm. Your lever arm looks like a wire. You should be able to move that and see if it make a clicking noise (button on switch) when the reward tray is empty.

I didn't see a picture of the jackpot switch but assume it is a leaf switch. They commonly need adjustment.

There have been troubleshooting lists on this site for vintage wiring / lights. You are not alone trying to figure it out.

Have you tried hooking up a 9V battery to the two wires? The green and yellow wires in your hand. It won't matter positive or negative on your machine, currently. Try that and try the toggle switch in both positions. Have the reward tray empty, and exercise that micro switch. Nothing happens?

13. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    The bulb sockets look like they are in a plastic holder. The plastic holder has a tab on the back. Try wiggling that tab back and forth while pulling out.

What you will then see is a bulb in a screw socket. Unscrew the bulb and see if it works.

The switch in your hand is a simple on/off toggle switch.

Rest assured you can't make anything worse with a 9V battery. Worse thing that can happen is you drain the battery.

The low reward tray switch is a micro switch with a lever arm. Your lever arm looks like a wire. You should be able to move that and see if it make a clicking noise (button on switch) when the reward tray is empty.

I didn't see a picture of the jackpot switch but assume it is a leaf switch. They commonly need adjustment.

There have been troubleshooting lists on this site for vintage wiring / lights. You are not alone trying to figure it out.

Have you tried hooking up a 9V battery to the two wires? The green and yellow wires in your hand. It won't matter positive or negative on your machine, currently. Try that and try the toggle switch in both positions. Have the reward tray empty, and exercise that micro switch. Nothing happens?

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    the jackpot lief switch is located at the end of these two red wires.. allot of times there are a little bent up and out of adjustment.. so you might have to tinker a bit with them.. the contact point will most likely need cleaning as well.. an emory board or verry verry fine sand paper should do that job nicely
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead