Thread: Making new parts

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Making new parts

I was making a new part today, an low ball refill lever for the recycler tray on a Nishijin model 1200 AKA model-A
    DSC00375.JPGDSC00374.JPGDSC00376.JPG
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Making new parts

Quote Originally Posted by cardwwi View Post
    I was making a new part today, an low ball refill lever for the recycler tray on a Nishijin model 1200 AKA model-A
    I use the smooth-on web page and order the vytaflex 50 for rubber making. I have not made any molds for plastics yet. They have a very nice line and the local shop here offers classes for 75 bucks to teach mold making etc. It's just a lot of overhead and expensive. I prefer to order the rubber bumpers. I don't need enough to warrant the cost to do the rubbers myself. (I have just done it once for the learning process). Plastics could be fun to learn and I may take the class just for the knowledge base. Anyone interested should look at the videos here http://www.reynoldsam.com/

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrAl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use Alumilite products, they have good how to videos

http://www.alumilite.com/store/pg/21-How-To-Videos.aspx

Hobby Lobby down the street sells it

I use a oral syringe to do injection moulding with there resin
    Last edited by cardwwi; 06-28-2015 at 10:10 PM.

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use AeroMarine for rubber and both clear and white plastics, as well as molds. It is a difficult process to learn to be effective at mold-making. The costs of repeated mistakes and failures gets rather large over time.

I have finally gotten good molds made for every bumper from pretty much every model I have ever seen. I have great molds for Nishijin Jackpot covers, those come out really nice. I have made molds of 6 different track covers but am not yet satisfied with the quality to begin selling them. Still trying to work up the process for complex 2-part molds, the parts work well enough but I still think I can do better. Practice makes perfect, time to drop another $120 on mold-making goop and make another dozen mistakes I get to learn from

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

At some point we should start a new forum here to store 3d stl files for replacement parts... for folks with 3d printers... or cnc machines...
    Woof!

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chumsize View Post
    At some point we should start a new forum here to store 3d stl files for replacement parts... for folks with 3d printers... or cnc machines...
    I could also possibly look into adding something to my website to allow that.

I have actually just printed some rebound bumpers for a Nishijin model B and some shooter bumpers for a 64 Heiwa single shot. The ninjaflex flexible material is way cool and I am no longer using alumilite to make my bumpers. I'm also able to change the stiffness of the bumper just by changing thickness and fill. First ones I made were really squishy, then made some that were a little stiffer than the originals, but think now I have found the right settings. (will try to post a thread about them in a few days here....)

100 machines and counting...

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow... cool. Only just bought my first roll of NinjaFlex last week...
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chumsize View Post
    Wow... cool. Only just bought my first roll of NinjaFlex last week...
    Tricky stuff to print with. Had to modify my Greg's gear extruder to be able to use it. But now got it to print almost as nice as ABS. (though much, much slower.) Though it is well worth the hassles cause it is way cool stuff.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Tricky stuff to print with. Had to modify my Greg's gear extruder to be able to use it. But now got it to print almost as nice as ABS. (though much, much slower.) Though it is well worth the hassles cause it is way cool stuff.
    So you purchased a 3d printer? Interesting. What was the cost of the printer? I see prices all over the place. Also aside from the printer what is your cost per bumper? Besides being reeeeally cool seems like it would not be cost effective for someone like me who probably never would go past needing 10 or so bumpers every 6 months. Course maybe I print a life size oh never mind :-)

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrAl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrAl View Post
    So you purchased a 3d printer? Interesting. What was the cost of the printer? I see prices all over the place. Also aside from the printer what is your cost per bumper? Besides being reeeeally cool seems like it would not be cost effective for someone like me who probably never would go past needing 10 or so bumpers every 6 months. Course maybe I print a life size oh never mind :-)
    Good questions.

I bought my printer as a kit and have spent a good amount upgrading it (got about $580-600 in mine). But for a decent one with a 7" cube volume its about $450-550. The spool of flexible material is $50 for .5KG (pricey compared to ABS which is $25 for 1KG). The round shooter bumper I made took a total of 4.14g of material (call it .004KG) so in total that one bumper cost me 20 cents in material cost (not exact but close as weight isn't for sure, just what my program says). Which I think is honestly a lot cheaper than the Alumilite especially once you make the molds and everything.

Also the nice thing is you can make any other parts that may be missing. Say model B track cover. Model it and print out a working one for probably about 30 cents in material cost (ABS plastic). There is also wax material out there (well similar to it) that you can print things with and then use that to make a lost wax casting should you want to make metal parts. You can also use the same material to print molds and then use Alumilite if you want.

Also you will start to find other uses for a 3D printer around the house. Like the other day I printed some custom clips for the blinds on our back door because the factory ones wouldn't work. Also made knobs for various things we use.

Also power consumption is almost nothing. Mine uses a computer power supply others use like printer power supply so your running costs aren't even worth looking into. If you can hold off for a while these printers keep dropping in price. Like I have had mine for a year now and the company still offers the same thing I got but now for $500 where I paid $540. They will keep dropping in price and next year you can probably expect like my same kit to be around $450 or less.

And if any members want something printed feel free to send me an email (max @ pachinkoboy.com , take out spaces) or PM.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 06-30-2015 at 12:06 PM.

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The issue I have been unable to resolve with 3D printing is actually creating a file to print from. This is a skill I do not currently have.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I do have some experience with AutoCAD, but like all software once you get really good at it they change it or don't support it anymore. I have look in to 3D printing, but the small units are not big enough to do a ball tray and I just don't think you can justify the cost of the unit by making small parts. I can make a two part mold and start casting parts in 3 days and most all that time is waiting for the silicone rubber to cure.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    The issue I have been unable to resolve with 3D printing is actually creating a file to print from. This is a skill I do not currently have.
    I use Autodesk Fusion 360 - free to hobbyists. Easy to use... some cool features... and will generate the necessary STL (stereolithography) files.

Also - I think a printer that will print an entire ball tray in one shot will set you back a pretty penny. I can go 10"x10"x10" - but before (stuck at 4x4x4) I just designed parts to be assemble-able afterwards. And super glue sticks to PLA plastic even better than it does to construction worker helmets... (anyone remember that ad?)
    Woof!

23. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use Solidworks for my 3D modeling and usually AutoCAD for my 2D. I have Inventor but haven't played with it much.

Also shortly I am planning to design a ball tray to be printed. (going to make it 2 pieces somehow to print on my printer) Will post files and pictures in new thread once I find time to start on that. But Chumsize has hit it that it has to be printed in 2 parts and then glued together is the best way. But with some thinking I can make it stronger than the original.

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Woot offering a 3d scanner and a 3d printer

http://www.woot.com/plus/flashforge-...5bbb-287979093
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

27. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57