Thread: Nail pulling qustions, safety, and corkscrew

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Nail pulling qustions, safety, and corkscrew

So I have a couple questions regarding nail pulling. I understand it is safe to pull nails for cleaning and polishing on machines like the Nishijiins with a paper based playfield but machines with a plastic laminate playfield may chip. I have recently picked up a Mizuho at the flea market (I am a weak, weak man) and was wondering if it has a laminate playfield? I really think it may as there doesn't appear to be any watermark staining and should clean up great without need for playfield replacement. It's in storage right now so I havent been able to take a super close look.

Secondly, I also have a Daido fever early modern (same type as the Sankyo Stellar frame) and the playfield feels like it is made of a very thin sheetmetal? Are these safe to pull the nails from?

Finally, when I restored my '74 Nishijin, I pulled the nails with pliers and a fulcrum, but that just kills my carpal tunnel. I have already ruined one perfectly good corkscrew trying to make a nail pulling tool and was wondering if any of the members here make these corkscrew tools for sale?

Fever Hunter Super Dave Osbourne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nail pulling qustions, safety, and corkscrew

Highly likely PF is laminate if no water marking, as well as being a Mizuho as I recall.
    #2, not sure
    #3, there was one selling them at one time, but I think a few years ago it was concluded the costs and price didn't make sense but to have folks make their own.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Super Dave Osbourne

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All I have seen thus far with paper are laminated with plastic, nails can be pulled, Sanyo and Mizuho I have seen thus far have no staining as the backgrounds are labeled "spot less" and are also laminated and nails can be pulled. Sankyo and Daichi have forica, these will chip if nails are pulled.

Have not seen a Daido.

I use a tack puller for the nail removal with various height blocks under it and have good success with very little bending of the nails.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Fever Hunter Super Dave Osbourne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

As I do with pinball wire forms on old EM games, I put a bit of thin plywood (free small pieces or large at Home Despot) with a slot cut in it the width of the nail (or wire form) and use that to keep pull out damage and not messing up the playfield. This at various thicknesses and the puller (bar, nail puller, whatever you end up using) causes very little deflection from the nail being pulled out straight, so little to no bends occur. Bottom line, try and pull the nail out parallel to the nail itself. Hope this helps. I do recommend if you can, get a hold of nails, and possibly when doing a complete cell replacement just pull and reuse what you can, or simply replace all the nails with new ones. Depends on your intent to keep it all original, but in this case the cell is not original so it likely doesn't matter.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Super Dave Osbourne

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I decided to sacrifice another corkscrew to the pachi gods. This time I think I've got it, just have to tweak the height of the legs a little bit. Bad news is that I pulled a nail from my Diado Fever and it did leave a very tiny chip in the playfield. One isn't really a big deal but i'm gonna leave the rest in place. So yeah if anyone has an early modern Daido Astra frame, or Sankyo Stellar frame machine, DON"T pull the nails, clean and polish in place.

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to PachiNC