Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Here, hoping to get help with a 100v power supply OLYMPIA EXCELLENCE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New Here, hoping to get help with a 100v power supply OLYMPIA EXCELLENCE

Hi everyone. I recently acquired a pachislo. It is the OLYMPIA EXCELLENCE model, the title of the game is TRICK MONSTER

62651187879540.jpg hqdefault.jpg

Sorry for the small pics but I hope you get the idea.

The problem with it is the power supply, I believe these models are 100v and can work on any standard house hold plug. On this one, the fuse keeps blowing to protect the power supply but I shorted it and I belw out D17 and D16 and possibly R40 on the board, OLYMPIA OTARI.

I would really just like to get a new power supply but I am decent at component level replacement, but I don't know why the PSU keeps blowing fuses.

The machine had the AC 100v light on when the fuse was installed, it just blows everytime I try to turn it on.

If there is anyone in the Toronto area that could help me out, that would be great.

The PSU has all the molex connectors on the top, I think its a larger ATX style 20 pin and a smaller 12 pin beside it, along with an AC power for powering the hopper and wheels?

thanks much in advance!

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Here, hoping to get help with a 100v power supply OLYMPIA EXCELLENCE

sounds like it's time to tear the power supply apart and see what's shorting in there to cause this. If nothing, then check other things.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Here, hoping to get help with a 100v power supply OLYMPIA EXCELLENCE

First off, not all machines are 100v, some are 24v, before you do anything else, check the machine data plate. It should have the serial number and voltage on it.
    Second, can you post a pic of the PSU as they some times come up for sale back in Japan. Or try replacing the blown components
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks guys, im pretty sure the unit is 100v as it has a light on it indicating its getting 100v when the fuse is installed

it blows once powered on.

nice to see quick replies here. The psu is the same as in this other posters unit:

$_57.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

checked the serial and little block diagram sticker inside the unit door and it is indeed 100v

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sorry i cant really help ya but wanted to say

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you disconnect all the cables from the power supply, does it still blow the fuse when powered on? If no, reconnect them one at a time and turn it on, easy way to tell what's bad.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yikes. Ok so I took a closer look at the Olympia Otari board and the diodes are fried.

Its certainly 100v, and has a 20pin atx style connector and a smaller 9 pin connector on the top of the box.

Do you guys know of where I could possibly get a replacement PSU? I can send pics if required.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Any chance of fixing it? Might have gotten a lightning zap or something. If you need to know what the components are, I've got an Olympia Race Queen that's about the same as yours and I'm willing to take the supply apart to check if you tell me where to look(in the AM ).
    Last edited by compirate; 05-26-2015 at 11:04 PM.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the encouragement !!

Ok what I need to do is rebuild the blown components..

So I would humbly ask for the values for:
    D17
    D16
    The tall green resistor that is bunched up with D17/D16.

Its around the bottom left side of the board where it should have printed, OLYMPIA OTARI,

That should get it back to a workable state so I can then try to see what is causing the fuse to blow.

Or

Since the PSU is out, just put it in a padded envelope send it my way!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wish I could! I'll tear it apart tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the resistor says 15k (the symbol for ohm) J and 2W on one side and OD on the other.

the diodes are a little tougher, something like 2U.0 something. I think d1 (by the green led) is the same.

Like I said, replace those parts, don't have any cables hooked up other than the plug wire, and turn it on and see if it still blows. ZNR1 is a surge suppressor, might be bad (shorting out system).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks so much, that's awesome!

For the diodes, maybe you can cross reference them with any others on the board to get a better look at what they say?

I was trying to get a better angle to look at my own, but I only have shards as the ceramic exploded!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

From what I'm seeing, I believe D 1,2,3,4,5,6,8 and 10 are the same. You should be able to see it as well on yours. My eyes ain't what they used to be and it's hard to get a good picture of something that small with all those tall components around them. Just unsolder one check that

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ok thanks, at least I can reference them for a replacement.

However, in replacing these parts, I am still not sure what is it that is causing the fuse to blow.

If ZNR1 is bad, would it cause it to short? I am trying to understand how a surge suppressor would cause the rest of it to fail?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe the surge suppressor self sacrifices if the current or voltage is too high, shorting so that the fuse will blow and protect the rest of the circuit.

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

im going to try replacing the zener diodes today, based on information from another thread that 2 zeners create some type of surge suppressor and short, which would cause the fuse to short.

my worry is that, WHY would the diodes short themselves under a 100v load...
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/pach...er-supply.html

Basically what shorted out in the power supply was a "transient voltage suppressor" (two zener diodes cathode to cathode)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It could have been plugged in during a storm.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OMG IT WORKS@@@!!!!!

I REPLACED THE DIODES WITH May be a 1n4002. 100 volt 1 Amp Diode if it's a 100 volt machine.

FROM THE OTHER THREAD!

OK THE MACHINE POWERS ON, NO FIRES!!!

BUT, should this thing make more music? right now there are only sound effects when the machine takes tokens and I hit the 3 buttons. there is no other noise or lights other than the front screen.

Is that right?

22. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to trueno92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it seems to operate just like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKzDvvHA9QU

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast