Thread: Free Standing Cabinets

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Free Standing Cabinets

Hey folks, I just got my first pachinko machine and it's time to get it in a nice and playable state.

Originally I thought that I would make a free standing cabinet so that I could sit in something about as tall as a bar stool and play. Now that I've done a lot more reading in here I'm seeing that some of you say it is dangerous since when you open the machine there is a high chance of it falling over (if you're not ready when you open it). So to keep in theme with all my posts so far, I have some questions!

1) What are your thoughts on free standing cabinets?

2) What is the size board I should use for a modern pachinko machine? (I think I read that it was 1' x 10' but I would appreciate confirmation)

3) This machine is HEAVY. Is mounting it to the wall with a french cleat really an OK thing to do??

Thanks for your input!

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Hive

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Free Standing Cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Hey folks, I just got my first pachinko machine and it's time to get it in a nice and playable state.

Originally I thought that I would make a free standing cabinet so that I could sit in something about as tall as a bar stool and play. Now that I've done a lot more reading in here I'm seeing that some of you say it is dangerous since when you open the machine there is a high chance of it falling over (if you're not ready when you open it). So to keep in theme with all my posts so far, I have some questions!

1) What are your thoughts on free standing cabinets?

2) What is the size board I should use for a modern pachinko machine? (I think I read that it was 1' x 10' but I would appreciate confirmation)

3) This machine is HEAVY. Is mounting it to the wall with a french cleat really an OK thing to do??

Thanks for your input!
    Yes, wall hanging with a french cleat is the safest way to go. As long as you secure the french cleat into two studs with a couple 3" lag screws (you pre drill, then use a socket wrench to screw them in) in each stud (regular sheetrock screws are not as strong) it's VERY strong, capable of supporting a heavy 50-60lb machine, 3000-4000 HEAVY pachinko balls with ease.....I could literally pull my whole 180LB body weight on to the french cleat without it budging. Check out the thread I made in the cabinet section....the cabinets I made for my modern machines are at the bottom of the thread:
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/pach...net-build.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Free Standing Cabinets

I am using a variant of Keiths design. I have the french cleat done.. however for now I am going to bolt it to a TV Curio cabinet so its free standing and wont fall over... Its still a WIP