Thread: Akimono/Pinball Dave Kudos

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Akimono/Pinball Dave Kudos

Just some unsolicited thanks to both Frank and Dave of Akimono and PinballDave respectively.

My first ever machine (an EVA6) came in excellent condition, despite Fedex's determination to kill the thing -- you should have seen what they did to the box!

I was very impressed with the condition of the machine. A few light scratches, but nothing like I expected a 'Used' machine to look like. The Japanese must really take care of their, and other's, stuff!

The playfield was exceptionally clean -- just a few places were there was some light dirt that came off with a damp Q-Tip. The only real wear on the machine is on the outside of the through-hole where 90% of the balls appear to bounce off of. I had to go looking for it, and no one is going to notice.

The pinball machines I used to clean in the 80s (yes, I worked in an arcade) were 10 times dirtier than this machine, and we cleaned them once a month.

I also purchased a dongle and card reader. After 4 ball loans, the thing decided to die in the weirdest way possible. I emailed Aki, who forwarded me to Dave for some troubleshooting. Here is where my experience really shines.. Frank took the time to help me diagnose this very weird issue with several in-depth eMails. After some testing we figured out what the issue is, and Aki took care of it.

All in all an excellent experience! Sure something broke, but it was taken care of quickly and professionally. THAT leaves me with an even better impression. Frank & Dave: THANKS!!!

(Mods: Hope this is OK and in the right place. TY!)

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to justdigi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Akimono/Pinball Dave Kudos

sounds geat..

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Frank has always been willing to answer any question and do everything he can to fix a problem. I would recommend him anytime.
    I have not lost my mind. I have it backed up on disk somewhere...
    Dai Yamato, Gundam One Year War, Thunderbirds, Mach Go Go Go, Aliens
    Yamato Resurrection, Late '75 Nishjin Sumo

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the kind words, and your patience and efforts while we diagnosed the problem and got you a replacement dongle sent out. Also many thanks to Frank at Akimono for sorting out an advance replacement dongle from his stock so there wasn't a delay while the faulty one made another transatlantic crossing.

I've just received the faulty dongle back as I always like to find out what has gone wrong. This time one of the transistors that controls the payout signalling had failed. There were no signs of a reason for it's failure, and replacing it with a new transistor got the dongle working again, so I can only assume that it was just one of those random failures.

I've had a couple of these transistors fail during the 48 hour 'burn-in' test that all dongles are put through before they leave me for their new owners, but this is the first that has managed to survive the initial auto-test on the test rig, the burn in test, the second auto-test and the final functional test on a real pachinko machine, and then go on to fail in the first few minutes in a customers hands.

So that's one down to transistor failure, to go with the one capacitor failure, one diode failure, one microcontroller chip, two voltage regulators, two that made it out with soldering errors, and one that just nuked itself so badly it was pointless even attempting a diagnosis. Still just under a 1% returns rate, which I don't think is too bad for hand assembled electronics.

7. The following 14 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    Still just under a 1% returns rate, which I don't think is too bad for hand assembled electronics.
    And I thank you for all of the dongles I have. All still going strong !

Jerry
    PACHINKO, THE #1 DRUG!

9. The following user says "Thanks" to portercbl