Thread: Picked up a Satomi Miracle

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Picked up a Satomi Miracle

Found this machine on craigslist a week or so ago. Wasn't working, but after soldering a few loose wires and replacing 5 bulbs, I solved 90% of the issues.

2015-03-09 21.07.53.jpg2015-03-09 21.11.44.jpg2015-03-09 21.11.54.jpg

A few other issues I noticed is that a ball barely gets stuck in the center tulip, the coin payout only works about 70% of the time, and I can't seem to find a replacement for a couple bulbs. They look to be an 110V, E10 screw bulb.
    2015-03-09 21.11.08.jpg

This is my first arrangeball, so any info on this machine, or any tips for repairing/restoring it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I've been lurking around the site for awhile, and I think this is my first big post, so hi everybody!

2. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to Mauk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Picked up a Satomi Miracle

looks to be in really nice shape, congrats. tons of info on this site about arrangeballs.
    if everything is in order-no broken solder joints/cold solders, broken traces, functioning microswitches, etc, and you're still experiencing problems, then it could be circuit board components. the caps are old and go bad and it can also be faulty chips. if it's the chips then some can be replaced with new, old stock ones or a modern replacement. sometimes replacements can't be found. fortunately though these issues are rare or at least that's been my experience and i've had lots of arrangeballs. the one time i did have this type of issue i was able to fix it with NOS chips i got off ebay.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

4. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info!

I see there's a troubleshooting forum, so I don't want to be too off topic here, but how would I detect a bad cap or chip? When the coin payout fails, it doesn't seem to have enough 'umph'. Would that be a lack of energy discharged from a cap when it tries to do multiple coins, or a worn solenoid? Most other things need a new spring, some CLR, or elbow grease ( I think), but I have a mechanical background, so I'm not familiar with spark chasing.

Also, I'm very interested in the history of my machine. It doesn't seem to be as fancy as other 'themed' arrangeballs, but I'd be cool to know nonetheless.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to detect faulty components you have to know about testing those items and what their parameters are. i can't help you there. what i've done the one time i had issues was to bring it to an old school t.v. repair man and he was able to sort it out.
    it's a good idea to disassemble your coin dispenser and remove the grime that's there. that'll help reduce the friction. it could be the springs that pull the coin slide are too stiff and provide too much resistance when the dispenser solenoid first activates or the springs are too weak and the slide doesnt have enough force to fully close and shoot the coin out.
    solenoids don't really wear out but you can pull the plunger out and clean it as well as the channel it slides in.
    not a whole lot is known about arrangeballs other than they're very rare and were made for about 10 years and then banned for whatever reason. the early models like yours are simpler and typically don't have bonus features, electrically opening pockets, and sound effects for example. i like them all. bonus features are really cool and typically carry over from game to game if they're not used during the current game. this was done to entice the player to play another game.
    i wrote the sticky on arrangeballs in that forum and has pretty much everything i could think of concerning these cool machines.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congratulations on the Arrangeball. I two similar machines and absolutely love them. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mauk View Post
    Thanks for the info!

I see there's a troubleshooting forum, so I don't want to be too off topic here, but how would I detect a bad cap or chip? When the coin payout fails, it doesn't seem to have enough 'umph'. Would that be a lack of energy discharged from a cap when it tries to do multiple coins, or a worn solenoid? Most other things need a new spring, some CLR, or elbow grease ( I think), but I have a mechanical background, so I'm not familiar with spark chasing.

Also, I'm very interested in the history of my machine. It doesn't seem to be as fancy as other 'themed' arrangeballs, but I'd be cool to know nonetheless.
    you may want to check your bulbs. going over allotted current draw will cause payout issues.. I had the same problem on mine.

Luckily, I had a friend that could translate the text on the internal sticker inside the cab..

I wasn't able to get the 12v 90mA bulbs but 14v 80mA fit within the current budget the machine had for the lighting and solenoids.

Warning

1. When adjusting the interior, please make sure that the power is turned off.
    2. When replacing the lamp/light, please make sure that you use a lamp/light with the specifications of 12V 90mA.
    3. As for the fuse, absolutely do not use one with a regulation of greater than 3A

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

2015-03-09 21.11.54.jpg

your machine is near exact to mine internally..

Ive taken your provided photo and made some notes about the label that specifies the bulb spec. if you exceed it you will get the "underpowered Payout issue"

had the same thing happen to me.

all of your bulbs should be 12 volt nothing runns 110v after the transformer (coil) located on the mounting board.

double check the numbers on the sticker on the line I indicated most likely 12v 90mA spec.
    Last edited by Phulkrum; 03-23-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am skeptical about the bulbs as well. Although I saw 11ov on the pic...I wasn't convinced. I was going to suggest using a voltmeter and test for voltage at the socket. My 3 Star arrangeball uses 28volt bulbs. I found 28volt E10 base bulbs (E=screw base 10=10mm) at http://www.bulbworldlightingja.com/Product-Catalog.html . They ran way too hot and was burning the wood! I have tried to convert to LEDs with limited success. If you want to do some testing with a few I would be happy to send you a few...PM me if interested!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I am skeptical about the bulbs as well. Although I saw 11ov on the pic...I wasn't convinced. I was going to suggest using a voltmeter and test for voltage at the socket. My 3 Star arrangeball uses 28volt bulbs. I found 28volt E10 base bulbs (E=screw base 10=10mm) at http://www.bulbworldlightingja.com/Product-Catalog.html . They ran way too hot and was burning the wood! I have tried to convert to LEDs with limited success. If you want to do some testing with a few I would be happy to send you a few...PM me if interested!
    what were you getting for a supply read at your sockets Pachiwall?

those transformers are only supposed supply a max of 24V DC...