Thread: Looking for advice as a first time potential buyer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Looking for advice as a first time potential buyer

Hello!
    I found a possible pachinko machine via From Japan, (indirectly through Yahoo Japan), that I'm interested in owning.
    The problem is, it's marked as used, but there are no pictures of the machine directly.
    http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/sl...?sc_e=afya_shp
    Would you guys recommend not buying it?
    I'm also not sure about the transformer aspect of it.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Looking for advice as a first time potential buyer

Some advice... Read this thread about ordering through From Japan - http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/yaho...fromjapan.html

I've ordered machines through that service, but not from that particular seller (Big Slot). The one I ordered from "Ex-Forcess" via Rakuten via From Japan was riddiculously cleaner and sparkly. I didn't see anything on this seller's page about cleaning the unit, but they do mention umpteen different guarantees that it will work...

As far as being used... They're all used - they go through the parlors before going to the home market. And they don't photo every machine when they're a big reseller like this place. So - its kinda up to luck.

Finally - the only option I'd go for is the data counter, if you want it. And maybe the transformer if you don't want to bother putting in your own. Don't order the cyclic modification, it makes the machine boring... or balls - it will just jump up your shipping price (buy them off ebay here). If you're savvy with electrics, skip the transformer as well... but MAKE SURE you buy and install the proper one before you plug it it and burn the crap out of it. Its 24v, not 120. The 100v transformers that they install in Japan are ok... runs a little warm, but not a huge problem.

Edit: looking at the YJA item, it looks like this one is a standard home setup without balls. So its probably ok to order as is. Just make sure it has that transformer in the back before you plug it in. Also saw this on the page (translation): "This item will be used pachinko actual. Thank if there is dirt that can not be removed in the range that is out of the reach of small scratches and hand. Please note. before shipment as much as possible to have performed maintenance and cleaning, and we try to enjoy feeling well you play the pachinko machine."

Sounds like they don't disassemble the machine to clean like that other seller I mentioned (note - I checked, they don't carry the unit you want) but have done regular cleaning. It will probably be ok... just not "sparkly"
    Last edited by Chumsize; 01-27-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    Woof!

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm loving your taste in pachinko! I've never seen one that had a leg spreading nurse pocket! The music might drive you crazy after a while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfTPmPTF114

Good luck with your bidding!

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the advice!
    Do you know if they sell transformers on that site? I don't see an option for it.
    My other question is do you know if it comes in a frame, or is it just a cell? Should I plan on buying a frame separately (I think most people use big bang frame).

Thanks again I really appreciate it!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would consider ordering without a transformer. The Japanese 100volt issue is not the reason. As mentioned, it will work fine with one, and it will be big enough for the machine. However, the transformer is added weight that adds to shipping costs. You can imagine with that distance...even a small amount of extra weight will make a difference. You can get a transformer at Radio Shack, or EBAY for about $20. The increase in shipping would probably be more than that. But the biggest danger is if the package is handled rough...and the transformer comes loose, and bounces around as is continued to be handled rough. It can do a GREAT amount of damage! I have never bought from Japan, but have heard stories!

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

From the icons lower down in the listing it appears it comes with a key, glass or replacement plastic, volume controls, 500 balls, a transformer, cr dongle, and instruction sheet. Cyclic is greyed out. Ive never had a transformer come loose on a pachinko... glass break, balls get loose... I think you can request extra packing with From Japan for help - and ask them to make sure the transformer is well screwed in. If you want to skip shipping it, you'll have to ask them to remove it, or request ordering without it it... and the balls...
    Woof!

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chumsize View Post
    From the icons lower down in the listing it appears it comes with a key, glass or replacement plastic, volume controls, 500 balls, a transformer, cr dongle, and instruction sheet. Cyclic is greyed out. Ive never had a transformer come loose on a pachinko... glass break, balls get loose... I think you can request extra packing with From Japan for help - and ask them to make sure the transformer is well screwed in. If you want to skip shipping it, you'll have to ask them to remove it, or request ordering without it it... and the balls...
    As stated earlier...I have never ordered directly from Japan, do you think the shipping weight of the transformer would increase the shipping cost higher than the price of a "locally" sourced transformer? I don't remember if I was reading about a transformer "actually" coming loose...or the "fears" that that would happen!

12. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I guess I should say something.
    First is something I say to anyone in the USA, unless it's a rare machine or your in a hurry to get a certain modern. You are better off speaking to one of the US dealer/importers and see if they can get your machine in their next order. Now there is nothing wrong with ordering machines through a deputy from Japan. I've done it loads of times. But being in the UK, if I want something made after 2006, I have to get it myself. Advantages are, everything is tested, with the right transformer, balls, volume and you get warranty should the worst happen.

That saying, some of us have gone the Japan route for one machine or another. I think over the years I've had 10 pachinkos and 2 pachislo. Although always been from an auction rather than an online shop. For me I ask for the transformers to be removed. A 100v transformer isn't any use on a 240v supply. That saying, some did come with transformers fitted. Once I was lucky, only one of the mounts broke and the other screw held it. Apart from deforming the metal around the core, it was alright. Although I did have one break free all together and scratched up all the plastic in the back and damaged the ball tank. I also unpacked one machine and found both layers of glass broken. It wasn't to bad as it was the old fashioned square slot in type. But if a shaped modern one breaks, it will be a pain to source a replacement. So I guess 3 issues out of 12.

Also, unlike the other advice, on the 2 slo's I got, I had 1000 tokens shipped with each one, as its FedEx, the extra weight was minimal cost increase as the box stayed the same size. Also balls and tokens are hard to get in the UK. So it did work out cheaper.
    The dealers like to bunk up the price of their balls and data counters, for the convenience of having them supplied with it, If you want a counter, you are then better off searching the auctions for one you like the look of, rather than any thing the dealer had on the shelf. Probably save you ¥2000 as well.
    Ian #UKPachinko

14. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam