Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A different approach to flashing payout lights. no programming

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile A different approach to flashing payout lights. (no programming)

While waiting for a part to arrive for my model B, I began working on the flashing LED circuit for it.

I knew I wanted sequentially flashing LEDs. My model B has the round lenses on the right side of the play field and it would be perfect for this.

I knew how to make a sequential flasher, but I wasn't sure how I was going to activate it. Enter the 556 dual timer IC.

All I needed to do was set up two timers. The first as a monostable that would act as a pulse lengthener, and the second as an a-stable to provide the clock pulse for the 4017 decade counter.

I figure it must be a cold day in hell because it not only worked, but I got it going on the first try!

So, here's a video showing it in action along with me stumbling through a commentary trying to explain how it works.

After I fix the little issue I mentioned in the video, the next step will be making the printed circuit board and installing it!

If anyone's interested, I can post the schematics as well.

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: A different approach to flashing payout lights. (no programming)

I'm interested in the schematics. I can wait for the final version if you think that is more appropriate.

Wondered how the jackpots are counted. If you have a few jackpot balls waiting at the see saw to go through... and the LED sequence isn't over yet...
    what happens? The see saw keeps going; I understand that part. Also wonder if the reed switch will be too noisy and need some type of de-bouncing. I've never experimented with that. Probably a capacitor and / or resistor will suffice if there is an issue.

Anyhow, I do love the use of the chips as opposed to a PIC. I think Brownie will love this too! Love is such a harsh word...

And I'm assuming you are animating the five red pieces of plastic and nothing else as the others pieces of plastic are opaque? I don't remember to be honest. Maybe the yellow pieces at the top are translucent?

4. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Carl, great questions!

For stacked jackpots, the sequence will continue for the second, then restart for the third (continue for fourth, restart for fifth, etc.). The monostable is triggered by a momentary impulse, but it will continue to output if the trigger impulse is held high. Alternately, I can reduce the monostable pulse so that it is shorter than a single payout and the sequence will fire for each regardless.

As for the reed switch, a monostable actually kind of works as a debounce. With a noisy switch, it is triggered at the first impulse received. And subsequent impulses (or "bounces") will pretty much be ignored.

And yep, that's the exact plan. The five red pieces. I haven't decided if I want to use the two yellow bits for the payout sequence, or if I want to use them for an empty hopper indicator. I've been playing with the idea of using the yellows for the payout (along with the reds) and instead run a couple LEDs into the empty hopper flag window so that the flag is illuminated when it goes down. Just playin it by ear for now.

I'll be sure to post the schematics once I refine them.

6. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When posting the schematics make sure you upload it as a .zip file as you can't upload a PDF.

Also looks pretty neat what you have built there.

100 machines and counting...

8. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    When posting the schematics make sure you upload it as a .zip file as you can't upload a PDF.

Also looks pretty neat what you have built there.
    Thanks.

Do you know if the site will allow me to upload a .sch file?

Worst case, I'll just redraw the schematics in paint and post a jpeg.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can post a SCH file inside a zip file. There are size limitations to all files. There is a sticky thread here somewhere... but try and if your file gets rejected; it will say.

Is the SCH file from Eagle? Might as well post the BRD too, please.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    You can post a SCH file inside a zip file. There are size limitations to all files. There is a sticky thread here somewhere... but try and if your file gets rejected; it will say.

Is the SCH file from Eagle? Might as well post the BRD too, please.
    I use ExpressSCH for my schematics but any program that uses the .sch extension should be able to view the file including PCB layout software.

I do my PCBs manually in mspaint. Just easier for me to get everything scaled and printed onto x-fer paper for etching (but mostly because that's just how I've always done it. haha)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update

Figured out the reset issue. Going to try using an RTL inverter coming off the monostable ouput going to the 4017 reset and leaving the 0 output free on the 4017. This way the 4017 will reset to the 0 output after the monostable output goes low.

brb, running to radioshack...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update

Looks like my plan isn't going to work. Gonna try using the npn with an RC to interrupt the LED array ground. Gotta wait until tomorrow to get another capacitor though. Hopefully this will be finalized and working by tomorrow night and revised schematics will follow.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

update

Success! The circuit is now fully functional.

Schematics will be available either tonight or tomorrow.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Momentary input sequential LED chaser.zip

Here it is. Everything should be correct but I'll double check everything tomorrow. The attached file contains both the .sch file and a .jpg of the schematic.

schematic.jpg

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I found the program you use, thank you. ExpressPCB. :-)

There are some components I'm not sure about.
    C 22uf Type?
    C1 220uf Type?
    C2 ?
    C3 ?
    D Switching Diode ?
    D ?
    Q ?
    R Both are 1M?
    R 1M
    R 22k
    R1 10k
    R2 ?
    R4 ?
    R5 ?
    R6 ?
    SW Leaf switch ?
    U LM556
    U CD4017

And wondered what power supply (volts / amps) you are starting out with?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not to be critical of anyone's engineering, or maybe the schematic is drawn wrong, but isn't killing the clock by shorting its output to ground kind of harsh? That timer chip must get hot as the dickens.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Going to make some revisions today. The LEDs aren't as bright as I want them.

Also, I think I missed a couple changes I made. Late night, lightly medicated schematic drawing can be difficult. haha

I'll enter the rest of the values for revision 2. I left most of the resistors blank because a lot of them can be changed to alter various timing aspects etc. I'll enter the values that I'm using and try to make a note of which ones can be changed and what the changes will do.

I've tested the circuit using a 6V inverter, a 4xAA battery pack, and a 9V. Ultimately, it will run on the inverter.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also, criticism and input are appreciated. I'm just sort of muddling through this. haha

If you see anything funky in my design, please let me know!

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

While not thought through completely, here is another possible solution:

4017.jpg

It makes use of the clock inhibit input. A high on the reset and clkinh pins will keep the chip in a state of reset. When you trigger the one shot, those pins will go low, allowing the clock to cycle the LED's. The adjustment on the clock sets how fast the LED's flash, the adjustment on the one shot sets how long they flash. If you use all 10 outputs, including the carry and not including the 0, you don't need the diodes.

BTW, if you want more brightness, you'll need to add driver transistors to each LED. According to the datasheet, that chip is only rated to source or sink 1 mA.

Best of luck to you!

27. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    While not thought through completely, here is another possible solution:

4017.jpg

It makes use of the clock inhibit input. A high on the reset and clkinh pins will keep the chip in a state of reset. When you trigger the one shot, those pins will go low, allowing the clock to cycle the LED's. The adjustment on the clock sets how fast the LED's flash, the adjustment on the one shot sets how long they flash. If you use all 10 outputs, including the carry and not including the 0, you don't need the diodes.

BTW, if you want more brightness, you'll need to add driver transistors to each LED. According to the datasheet, that chip is only rated to source or sink 1 mA.

Best of luck to you!
    Ooooh. I like this solution!

So instead of the monostable(one shot) controlling the astable(clock pulse), the mono controls the 4017? Love it!

I do remember thinking about doing something similar when I first approached the project, but my brain got locked into the monostable>astable route for some reason.

I think my brightness issue was due to the npn not allowing a fully open ground path for the LEDs. This will solve that issue.

Giant thanks!! I'll try to get this hooked up today and reply with results.

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To make myself and Max happy, please post a youtube video of the completed game in action.

My suggestion is to turn your camcorder to high speed and manual focus.

I enjoy reading Browne92 and your comments and although I have become quite proficient at soldering; I can't design any circuits like you two did.

31. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    I can't design any circuits like you two did.
    Maybe. But you're hell on an Arduino.

33. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ahhh Such memories . I built the MPC Millieum Falcon in 1981 and wanted the rear engines light pulse like in the movie so I went to Radio shack and got the cool books on electronic circuits ( they still have them ) and the 555 timer I.C. just came out well a little bit of parts and some grain of wheat lamps with a aluminum kitchen foil reflector and WOW did it look cool back then

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co....asp?dept=1067
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 01-28-2015 at 05:20 AM.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

35. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast