Thread: Heiwa "Bull" Upgrade

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Heiwa "Bull" Upgrade

OK, so now that we've had the Heiwa "Bull" here for several months, and put the Yamato Revival beside it, I decided it was time to add the modification I'd seen Carl Wegman do to one he had at one point. Carl was kind enough to send me the Arduino project file so I could get started on it. Plus, a nice fat order of parts from Digikey so I could do several other projects that I'd already had in mind.

I decided to do a couple of things different from his build. The first was dispensing with the Arduino board and project shield that he used, instead opting to build the circuit outside of that. So to make sure I knew where everything needed to go, I opted to drop the loaded microcontroller onto a prototyping breadboard for testing purposes. The other thing I decided to do was to wire up a power indicator board, simply four "always on" LEDs so I know if I need to turn it off.
    GEDC0002.jpg

With that working just fine, I transferred the circuit over to PCB. The core of the system was built up onto one of Evil Mad Science's ATMega business card target boards. I used connectors and headers to join the lighting boards up. Unfortunately, I found out that I need to remove the machine's bezels first, it turned out the plastic runs down to the playfield, so I had to do some dremeling to fit the wires, trim my PCBs down, and the payout light sequence I had to completely rebuild off PCB. Plus, I found out why Carl had deleted two LEDs from the payout sequence, I had to lop the domes off the LEDs in the power indicator so that I could fit them into the green window, which had less space than the other spots. The payout area was taped from the back. The other indicators were hot glued into place.
    GEDC0005.jpg

The core board installed. Notice the two buttons that serve as "test if the machine's switches are still working", as well as the other headers for the machine switches. The whole thing runs off a 5V RadioWack wall wart.
    GEDC0013.jpg

As one last bit, I replaced my red LED in the payout "window" with two white LEDs attached to the first two lines of the payout sequence. Yes, I used hot glue.
    GEDC0014.jpg

Looks good!
    GEDC0010.jpg

And an animated GIF of the result.

This has also (mostly) fixed the problem I was having with the payout light not really firing, since the payout lights are no longer dependent on the actual status of the switch. Now, the switch merely instructs it to begin the light sequence, and after that it doesn't care until it's done running the sequence.

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Heiwa "Bull" Upgrade

That is awesome. I've been trying to cook up a circuit to do exactly this without using my arduino.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt_rev View Post
    That is awesome. I've been trying to cook up a circuit to do exactly this without using my arduino.
    Well, technically I did use an Arduino to program the chip. Plus, I set up a prototype prior to the photos where I jacked the whole Arduino in to do my code tweaking of Carl's work. Only after I got that squared away did I dispense with the Arduino board and go bare chip.

Arduino is an awesome piece of hardware. I'm hoping to get even more awesome with it by making my own programs for it.

The Evil Mad Scientist target board made it super easy. Yes, I could have laid it all out by hand (and had originally planned on that), but sometimes you want the shortcut.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I suppose I could use an ATmega on it's own, but that still seems like overkill to me.

I'm trying to figure a way to just use a 4017 and a 555. I think I may have thought of a way to just use a 4017 on it's own, but I'm not sure yet.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I suppose I could use an ATmega on it's own, but that still seems like overkill to me.

I'm trying to figure a way to just use a 4017 and a 555. I think I may have thought of a way to just use a 4017 on it's own, but I'm not sure yet.
    Yeah, the ATMega is probably overkill... but I'm not sure how much discrete logic it would have required to do the 7-light chase sequence versus that. I'm not really an electrical engineer, so sometimes it just makes sense to reach for the overkill anyway.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think I've figured it out. A 4017 and a 556. 556 setup as half monostable, half astable.

Switch > monostable > astable > decade counter.

Will allow up to ten output stages.

Looks like I'm headed to radioshack tomorrow after work.

BTW, you could use a 4017 in your project too. It would free up a lot of the digital pins of the ATmega because you would only need two pins to control the majority of your lights. I'm not positive, but you should even be able to scale back to an ATtiny series chip if you wanted to shrink the project further.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think I've figured it out. A 4017 and a 556. 556 setup as half monostable, half astable.

Switch > monostable > astable > decade counter.

Will allow up to ten output stages.

Looks like I'm headed to radioshack tomorrow after work.

BTW, you could use a 4017 in your project too. It would free up a lot of the digital pins of the ATmega because you would only need two pins to control the majority of your lights. I'm not positive, but you should even be able to scale back to an ATtiny series chip if you wanted to shrink the project further.
    No real plan on changing it up now that I've got it finished and put back into the gaming area. Given the way I built things, I could effectively swap out the core board at any time, but there are other projects for me to get working on now that it's working.

I will probably look into some ATtiny stuff in the future for other projects. As I recall, they do sell Arduino-compatible "breakout" project kits for smaller examples, meant to be used as things like built-in USB interfaces.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I bet it looks better in person than it looks in the GIF video. Blinking LEDs confuse auto focus...

Nice work.

You deserve a medal for this project. I'm going to send you one.