Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got myself a new turd to polish! Nishijin Model B "Royal"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Got myself a new turd to polish! Nishijin Model B "Royal"

So I finished the Model A quite a while ago. Ended up giving it to a friend since I really didn't have anywhere to put it. I think that first one infected me though. I really really like fixing these things up and playing them. So, I finally got a new project.

Here's a link to an album with a few pictures.

To say it's in rough shape is an understatement, but I gotta take what I can get in my area.

My biggest concern right now is finding a replacement tray. I posted in the classifieds section here so hopefully something comes along. If any of you have a spare or know where I can get one, I would be very appreciative!

Well, that's it. Just wanted to share my new project.

~Rev.

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Got myself a new turd to polish! Nishijin Model B "Royal"

Update 1.12.15

Just ordered a replacement feed tray. Also started disassembling for cleaning. (Pictures added to the main album)

I'm debating using my electrolysis tank for rust removal. If I go that route, I'll still need to sand and prime before paint so I may just opt to remove the rust through sanding. All this is assuming I can't find replacement parts for the front door trim.

Also got a better look at the background cell. It's looking like a lot of what I thought was water staining is just muck that can be wiped off. There's still some water damage at the top though. I'm going to clean it up before deciding if I want to do a full replacement.

So that's where I'm at on day 2.

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Love the look of this machine... especially the castle in the middle! Can't wait for it to be restored. Good luck, and nice find!

6. The following user says "Thanks" to bonsaimaster1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

please post pics directly to this thread(or any other thread you have) that way there always attached.. its a bummer when i look at old threads and the poster has deleated the offsite album..

good luck with your restoration.. if you cant locate a frame ya might consider powdercoating the parts.. a member hear (i forget who) powdercoated a frame and i kinda liked it.. considering the condition of yours might be a good alternative

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the tip Mopar. I posted the album link because the pictures are really large and wasn't sure of the file size limit. I'll attach future milestone pictures to posts and keep all the nitty-gritty stuff in the above album. If it's any consolation, the album isn't going anywhere.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Got myself a new turd to polish! Nishijin Model B "Royal"

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post

good luck with your restoration.. if you cant locate a frame ya might consider powdercoating the parts.. a member hear (i forget who) powdercoated a frame and i kinda liked it.. considering the condition of yours might be a good alternative

How soon you forget...

SANKYO Blue Frame Front 2.jpg GINZA Front.jpg

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    How soon you forget...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    How soon you forget...
    i know what powder coating is and how it works, but I am hoping you can shed some light on if there is a finish that approximates chrome and what the cost is to powder coat a frame? Any issues with glass fitting into frames after a coat? I am assuming it is not a thick finish, but curious.

thanks.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    i know what powder coating is and how it works, but I am hoping you can shed some light on if there is a finish that approximates chrome and what the cost is to powder coat a frame? Any issues with glass fitting into frames after a coat? I am assuming it is not a thick finish, but curious.

thanks.
    As you know, it is a paint, there are highly reflective colors but I wouldn't say chrome.

http://www.tiger-coatings.us/?id=1295

What is nice is that the process (sandblasting) and the thick paint - pretty much - conceals a LOT of pitting and rust.

I have paid $40 and up to have a single frame and front door done. It depended upon if the painter had the color left over from another project. Had two frames and front doors done at same time, in off white... was $30 each...

The paint can be high gloss which looks more like chrome. There are colors that look like aluminum, which is fairly close to chrome.

Make sure to mask off the hinge pins and hinge pin holes. Other than that, no issues with paint thickness.

18. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Powder coat is really neat stuff.

However, there isn't anything out there that will look exactly like chrome. It is a nice cheaper alternative to rusty frames. I'd suggest it over paint as paint will chip or scratch where as powder coat is baked on and is really hard to scratch or chip. I have a machine I'm working on for someone right now and it has a HUGE rust spot (yeah just one spot, the rest is perfect) but if I can't clean it up I'm going to suggest powder coat. The trick is you have to pick a color that plays off the machine or accents something. I have painted numerous frames black and with a new background the machine looks great! it ends up acting like a picture frame and the playfield is the art (which it basically is).

100 machines and counting...

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've achieved that fleeting moment of clarity that last only long enough to serve as a reminder that I have no idea what I'm doing...

100_2412.jpg

Bah! I'm not worried.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update 1.14.15

If I never pull another nail again in my life, it will be too soon.

100_2413.jpg

I think I've decided to keep the original background. While it does have some water damage, I think it adds a certain amount of character and age.

Also decided to leave all the pockets and the main feature in place. I don't need to do any touch-up painting and I think the risk of damage outweighs any benefit of removing them.

I'm also about 80% through with cleaning up all the chutes and mechanical bits and bobs. A run through the dishwasher made fast work of that.

I think I'll refinish the wood tomorrow and get started on the arduous task of polishing all those damned nails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt_rev View Post
    A run through the dishwasher made fast work of that.
    carefull with the diswasher.. seems like i rember reading a diswashe strips the plastic making it brittle??

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Meh. Used the dishwasher with the last pachinko machine, classic car parts, etc. Though, I always pull everything out right after the rinse cycle (before the heat/drier thing turns on). I have yet to notice any loss of bendiness. YMMV

:-)

28. The following user says "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt_rev View Post
    I always pull everything out right after the rinse cycle (before the heat/drier thing turns on).

:-)
    The heater element to sanitize the dishes was my concern! That and whatever kind of soap. dishes have plastic parts...so it is unlikely that dish soap is bad.
    Were you considering changing the background? With all the pulling, straightening, cleaning, reinstalling, and finally adjusting...it is hard NOT considering changing the background! Of course it IS a lot more work. It does make an AMAZING improvement! Have you looked at replacements? Many people scan the original, then Photoshop (Paint.net, or whatever) the problems and liven up the colors etc. Then have it printed on adhesive Vinyl. Others, like me, purchase one already made by one of our members. mxfaiman's site has these to offer http://pachinkoboy.com/hikashop-menu...20-backgrounds rival has a large assortment here: http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...&cPath=3_23_28 This particular background http://pachinkorestorations.com/Part...44&category=10 is a copy of a machine that member cardwwi reproduced for me.
    How much stuff is still on the back of the machine?
    Do you have, or know anyone with a rock tumbler...or a case tumbler for brass ammo? If so...let the tumbler clean the nails for you!

30. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I thought about doing to background, but decided against it. I feel like a vintage machine loses something when the background is replaced. It's mostly in my head though. I just like retaining as many original elements as possible with this sort of project. Plus, the water staining isn't too bad on this one; just enough to give it character.

The picture in post # 11 shows what's left on the back as of now. I haven't pulled the door mechanisms for cleaning yet and I left the Mercedes symbol ball guides on. Oh, and I haven't pulled the shooter assembly yet.

The nails are enjoying an ammonia bath right now. A bit quicker and quieter than tumbling. Plus you get to enjoy those lovely noxious fumes... (joking!)

Also started knocking the rust off all the chrome to prep for paint.

Basically just doing everything I can to avoid sanding the wood... I abhor sanding with a fierce and unwavering vengeance.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A little ammonia goes a long way.

How the nails started:

100_2398.jpg

The spa treatment:

100_2415.jpg

The results:

100_2416.jpg

I think I let them soak for an hour or two. Just let them do their thing and checked/stirred them ever now and then. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

33. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Corrupt_rev

Thanks
    Thanks Received

God I hate sanding.

No pictures or anything. Just wanted to say that.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are you sanding the front frame?

That takes forever. I use paint stripper then sand. As there are quite a few layers of clear on that thing.

100 machines and counting...

36. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Are you sanding the front frame?

That takes forever. I use paint stripper then sand. As there are quite a few layers of clear on that thing.

Yep. Soo much clear... I got through it though! It's not so bad when I just go at it for ten minutes or so, then walk away and do something else for a while before going back to sanding.

As much as I hate sanding, I still don't like using strippers on wood. Plus, I didn't want to remove the play field from the frame. Easy to blow sanding dust off, not so easy to clean up wayward stripping solution.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to stain, or just put a clear on and call it good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast