Thread: Williams 1976 GRAND PRiX

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool Williams 1976 GRAND PRiX

Wild Card got lonely or something. Had to have an old friend around. GP is still in the car. craigslist pix will have to do for now.

clgp1.jpgclgp2.jpg

"Lights up and makes noises but no ball or flippers." Another project. Yeehaw. Wonder how many I can do at the same time.....

"Knowledge is good." - Emil Faber

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to ballsofsteel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Arrow Re: Williams 1976 GRAND PRiX

GP made it into the shop. It's cold out there or I'd be fussing with it instead of pecking keyboard.

Nice looking glass. Actually not a bad looking game.

gpglass.jpg

Sure is a busy game. Lookit all them innards. Relay board fills the lower cabinet. No extra space.

gpguts.jpg

Never was very fond of cleaning score reels - this thing sure has a mess of 'em. Some are pretty icky too.

gpyuck.jpg

Start with something simpler. The pic doesn't really show how just about to fall apart the chime box really is. Darling had a worn peg too or that one would have gone in here. Parts is parts.

gpchime.JPG

Question of the day: can I weld the tab back up without burning the end off? oops no. But not hard to build back up and grind to shape. More cushion washers punched from same old mouse pad.

gpchime2.JPG

... and back together. Ready to make music.

gpchime3.jpg

Found a slip of paper under the relay board. The pimp had been writing down play meter numbers. No dates to go with but it got me curious.. what's it say now... hmm... where the %$#%$ is it anyway???

gpcount.jpg

Well I found where one goes. Play count shall remain a mystery. Darling's meter will fill the space after I'm done with the score motor(darn thing would be in the way if it was there).

Time to go see if the heater has taken effect yet....

More later.

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ballsofsteel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Arrow Re: Williams 1976 GRAND PRiX

Cleaned a mess of relay switches and still more to go. Working on a shopping list for the part guy. Need more coil sleeves for all those darn score reels that I haven't touched yet. Need some pieces to rebuild pop bumpers. Need pieces for flippers. Which flippers......

A look through a couple of Williams parts books shows that GP's flippers have a lot in common with '50s woodrail stuff. Clay calls them clunky and prescribes mods to make them a bit snappier. They made 11,000 of these so it ain't exactly rare. I might just do an update. Williams actually kept the clunky woodrail flippers through the first couple generations of solid-state games so I'll need to go newer than that.

Attachment 78261

Newer than that. At the bottom is a System 6 flipper assembly - early '80s stuff. Sys6 flippers are so unloved that someone sent me a set of four, with a batch of slingshot and hole kicker pieces, for less than $20.00 , postpaid. They get no love because the coil stop is part of the base and you replace the whole thing when the stop wears out. This bunch came from a game that died young and may yet take a couple more decades to wear out.

System 6 was the last generation to use a 24 volt coil like GP. Sys7 and later went to 50V. Doesn't leave much choice in coils. 1 better than none I guess. My ohm meter can't tell between 300 turns of #20 wire or 400 turns of #19 so the game probably can't either.

At top is a Sys11 flipper('90s stuff). Rebuild parts cost a fraction of what the EM stuff goes for. The Sys6 coil fits just fine. These need more rebuilding than the Sys6 flippers so they may stay on the shelf for now.

There's always gotta be a catch somewhere - right? Sometime early '70s Williams started running slingshots and pop bumpers on DC for a little more snap. Flippers in solid state games ran on DC too. EM flippers ran on AC. AC coil stop is different. AC coil stop has a copper slug in it that the DC stop doesn't. DC flipper on AC power buzzes and chatters and just plain doesn't sound right.

If I add a couple wires (some orange and some green with white and yellow tracers) I can get DC for the newfangled flippers from the rectifier that feeds the bumpers. There's a blank pin on the playfield harness connector to run the orange DC- wire to where the flipper switch returns plug in on the relay board.

If someone wants to undo my hacking later it should be easy enough - except for a few mounting holes. oh well.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Williams 1976 GRAND PRiX

flipupdate.JPG

Image somehow got detached from previous post.

This not being able to edit business is a bunch of , imho.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ballsofsteel View Post
    flipupdate.JPG

Image somehow got detached from previous post.

This not being able to edit business is a bunch of , imho.
    you do know you only have to ask a mod / admin if you are outside of the edit window, and if we can help we will

(the timed edit window is there for a reason, for example: replies to posts would not make sense if the post they were replying to had been edited (or deleted) during or after)

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post
    you do know you only have to ask a mod / admin if you are outside of the edit window, and if we can help we will

(the timed edit window is there for a reason, for example: replies to posts would not make sense if the post they were replying to had been edited (or deleted) during or after)

what window? window.jpg I got a wall.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ballsofsteel View Post
    what window? window.jpg I got a wall.
    that pic just shows the normal posting permissions for the regular members, you should still have the 10 minute (I believe it's 10 mins) editing window. There should be an 'edit post' button showing for approx 10 mins after you submit a new post, it should be in the same place as the usual buttons (bottom right) of your post box.
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that pic just shows the normal posting permissions for the regular members, you should still have the 10 minute (I believe it's 10 mins) editing window. There should be an 'edit post' button showing for approx 10 mins after you submit a new post, it should be in the same place as the usual buttons (bottom right) of your post box.
    It isn't there .

... in this part of the forum anyway. I can edit posts in the word game thread but not here. No button. No window.

I do know how to click a button when there is one present.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DSC02042.jpg

^^^ See? ^^^

13. The following user says "Thanks" to ballsofsteel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

weaksauce. Anyone wishing to preserve the context of their reply need merely click the "Reply With Quote" button. Edit nannying is a solution looking for a problem.

... or merely a problem in itself.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it is interesting that in some threads the info at the bottom says i can edit post.. but your right, in this thread i can not edit posts????

"the rules of today will not apply tomorrow "
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

weaksauce. Anyone wishing to preserve the context of their reply need merely click the "Reply With Quote" button. Edit nannying is a solution looking for a problem.

... or merely a problem in itself.
    I've seen threads ruined in forums that allow unlimited editing..Someone gets mad, decides to leave and deletes all there posts leaving threads full of holes that can no longer be followed making them useless.. It may just be annoying in some forums, but in hobby forums that rely on archived information it can be quite harmful.. That is one of the reasons for limited editing times..

No one likes when a forum glitch gets in the way of posting, but when such things happen, it rarely helps to argue with the person that is offering to edit anything you need edited!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

18. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrGneiss View Post
    I've seen threads ruined in forums that allow unlimited editing..Someone gets mad, decides to leave and deletes all there posts leaving threads full of holes that can no longer be followed making them useless..
    Seen that too. Those people rarely contribute any value to a thread/forum in the first place. Good riddance to 'em!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Williams 1976 GRAND PRiX

Dear Editor,

Please perform the following corrective actions to this thread:

(1) See post #3. There is a link Attachment 78261 to an error message "vBulletin Message Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" where there should be an image inserted inline. This one:

flipupdate.JPG

Please remove the defective link and insert the proper image.

(2) Please delete all posts after #3 as they have no place in a thread about a pinball machine.

Thank you.

oh, by the way, there really is something odd about where your windows are and where they aren't but let's discuss that somewhere else, okay?