Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I am going to attempt to do five Nishijin model 1200 machines at once

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: I am going to attempt to do five Nishijin model 1200 machines at once

Quote Originally Posted by cardwwi View Post
    Yes Diamond matches and Elemr's glue. Grandfather show me when I was a kid how to do this.
    never thought of using a match.. used toothpicks.. made my own cutting off a hunk of hardwood.. never a match

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: I am going to attempt to do five Nishijin model 1200 machines at once

Yes Diamond matches and Elemr's glue. Grandfather show me when I was a kid how to do this.
    I prefer the GEM matches. They work better with Japanese wood.

gem.jpg

JK

3. The following user says "Thanks" to MrAl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All metal frame parts are soaking in rust remover

Attachment 78118
    That thar be a lot 'OH' Evapo-Rust. Out here they charge about 22 bucks a gallon. Course its cheaper if you buy a 5 gallon jug. Even with reuse that is an expensive tub. LOL

Nice work Bill !!

5. The following user says "Thanks" to MrAl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Al View Post
    I am impressed. Five machines would be to much for me. In fact I think it would make cranky because it would feel like work and not a hobby LOL.
    If you love your job you will never work a day in your life.
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I pulled most of the metal parts from the rust remover but some of them still needed more time. I cleaned and coated them with Polyurethane to prevent future rust. I am done with pulling playing fields and have started to remove the mounting nails from the playing fields. I also am repairing the playing fields boards.

DSC00347.jpgDSC00345.jpgDSC00346.jpg

9. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I sanded and coated the frames with Polyurethane and stain the base. I am still removing the mounting nails from the playing fields, and repairing the playing fields boards.

DSC00352.jpgDSC00350.jpg

11. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have removed all the mounting nails and the last two playing fields are repaired. I am waiting for the glue to dry. I am done with reinstalling the hardware on the frames with stainless steel screws. I started to pull the tracks and brass nails from the playing fields. I started with these two as I don't have the artwork for them on file, so I will have to recreate them or use something from the same year. I didn't get as far as I wanted on them due to the weather and now work on these machines is going to get a little slower as I have to start back to work on Monday.

DSC00366.jpgDSC00364.jpgDSC00368.jpg

13. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have removed the tracks from all five playing fields and the nails from 4 of them. The nails from playing field 1&2 are out of the tumbler and I have started to polish them, playing field 3&4 nails are in the tumbler now. I am going to start replacing backgrounds today, I may not use the same ones as on the machine but all will be from the same year as the machine its going on.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cardwwi; 01-11-2015 at 07:11 AM.

15. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, I'm counting your days now... Have to admit you are doing GREAT. Keep going

17. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I carefully removed the playing fields backgrounds using a 4" putty knife, then sanded the old paper artwork off the board. I used a vacuum to suck out the bits of paper in the nail holes so when I reinstall the nails they will be even. After wiping down the boards, I used 2" painters tape to hold the new artwork in place until I could pull the back off the artwork to stick it to the board. Once in place, I press it down and remove painters tape. Then I start cutting out the openings for the features and poking the nail holes in the new artwork. I then applied the 5 mil clear cover and trim it. I was only able to do three today as some of my time was spent polishing nails.

DSC00375.jpgDSC00377.jpgDSC00378.jpgDSC00384.jpgDSC00387.jpgDSC00380.jpgDSC00383.jpgDSC00388.jpg

19. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The big V background is still one of my favorites. Looking good though.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have done another playing field replacement and all the nails on three of the five machines playing fields are polished.
    DSC00395.jpg

22. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got the last playing field replaced, this is not the one I started with but it the same as what was on the machine. Yes, as many backgrounds as I have replaced I still occasionally screw up one!

DSC00398.jpg

24. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I strip off the old finish on all five frames today and did some wood filler in the cracks, is has been a long day!

DSC00400.jpg

26. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am done with polishing the brass nails on all five machines and have started staining the frames. Three are stained natural wood color, one is dark walnut to hide a flaw in the wood. I also tried a water base color stain for the first time on the fifth frame, big disappointment! I'm going to have to re-strip the 5th one and try something else. Maybe a darker stain to cover the flaws in the wood.

DSC00404.jpg

28. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I mainly use water based stains. The brand I use is General Finishes which is targeted more towards the pro and can't be found at most home improvement stores. I end up having to pick up the stuff at specialty places like rockler and woodcraft.

100 machines and counting...

30. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    I mainly use water based stains. The brand I use is General Finishes which is targeted more towards the pro and can't be found at most home improvement stores. I end up having to pick up the stuff at specialty places like rockler and woodcraft.
    I may try it, but what I used look like water down paint that just sat on top of the wood and didn't soak in. For now I will stick to oil base stain on the frames and paint when I have to.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The last coat of polyurethane was applied to four of the frames, and I re-installed the track on three of the playing fields.
    DSC00406.jpg

33. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The polyurethane is dry and I am done with the tracks and nail re- install on two machines, one I have put back in its frame I also painted the last frame today

DSC00409.jpg

35. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You are doing great. Once you are through with the process I will be interested to hear if you would ever attempt it again or if there were no real gains in total time to complete 5 machines. Not that I would ever attempt to do it, but it would still be interesting to hear your summary of the experience.

37. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast