Thread: What is it and where do I start?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What is it and where do I start?

Hey guys!
    After MANY years, I finally got this handed down to me from my Grandmother. It's been in my family since the 70's. I know it's probably not worth the money I'll put into it, but I want to restore it since it's sentimental.

Can someone tell me what year, model, etc this is, and what it's probably worth?

Also- I'd like to start repairing it and get it cleaned up and running again. Where do I start? I noticed some of the plastic parts are broken- is it possible to find the same ones that match this machine so I can repair it properly?

Thanks for any insights!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to eyal8r

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What is it and where do I start?

Nice looking Sankyo you have there! Looks like the wiring is intact! most Sankyos have the wiring cut up, for some unknown reason. First of all...DO NOT spray any cleaning fluid (Windex...or ANYTHING else) onto the play field! If you do, it will seep in around the nails and permanently stain the cell (background). It won't affect play, but you will be mad that you now have "clouds" around your nails. It can be fixed...but only by COMPLETELY disassembling the machine to include removing ALL the nails! Here is a link to some more cleaning advice.
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...o-machine.html
    What parts are broken? Post some pics of the parts you need. Maybe they can be fixed...or maybe someone has a parts machine with what you need.
    And before I forget...to PACHITALK!

4. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you! I believe it's a 1971 or 72. I just read the cleaning sticky. Very good info! I'll get some pictures posted in a bit. The big problem I have is I don't fully understand how the thing works to know what parts are missing or broken. Can someone tell me if this is a model a b or c?

In in terms of restoring the wood- should you take the entire far,e apart and sand down each piece separately? Or leave it all in tact and carefully sand with it together? Should you stain it? Add a sealer/protectant?

do you guys ever take all mechanics off and start with cleaning up the base wood under all of those?

Also so is it possible to get the cell reprinted? I think the art has faded on it.

Lastly whats the best way to clean or restore the white wood area? Sand and repaint? Stain?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

its a Model "B"

take a look at this and see if it answers a few questions for ya

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...l-b-video.html

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice looking machine..

the only thing i see is the broken window.. other then that looks complete..

post more pics of problem areas im sure we can help
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was just about to post MOPAR's video...beat me to it! that should help a lot in understanding how it works!
    Wood frame...Normally I leave them together and sand them intact. as long as it was secure. Many are weak, and could stand some reinforcement. In those cases, carefully remove the nails and sand while apart. If a wobbly frame justifies taking apart...it usually is a good idea to use wood glue and screws to reassemble. If firm...I leave them together. they were bare wood originally. Stain or seal is a preference. Finish any way you desire...I like the look of natural wood, so I usually rub with boiled linseed oil. The choice of finish is entirely up to you. Stain, clear polyurethane, paint...whatever makes it more enjoyable to you.
    I often take most of the mechanics off the back to clean the ball paths that are unreachable. Depending on the condition, Sometimes I only clean what I can reach. Most of the plastic parts that are attached to the wood are stapled. There are screw holes. I predrill the screw holes before cutting the staples. Cut the middle of the staple, straighten it up, then gently pry the plastic off the staple. Then remove the staple. when you replace the plastic parts, the predrilled holes make the parts line up perfectly!
    There are those who scan and use software to reproduce cells...I am not one of those! I have purchased already made cells, and one was reproduced by a member for me.
    When you say "the white wood area"...are you referring to the front of the frame? If so, it is something like Fomica and should just be cleaned. If so...all the more reason to leave the frame intact. can't take it apart withoht ruining the Formica...unless you use a heat gun to soften the glue. If in good shape, leave the frame together, and clean the front!

10. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by eyal8r View Post
    ... Can someone tell me if this is a model a b or c?

In in terms of restoring the wood- should you take the entire far,e apart and sand down each piece separately? Or leave it all in tact and carefully sand with it together? Should you stain it? Add a sealer/protectant?

do you guys ever take all mechanics off and start with cleaning up the base wood under all of those?

Also so is it possible to get the cell reprinted? I think the art has faded on it.

Lastly whats the best way to clean or restore the white wood area? Sand and repaint? Stain?
    It is close to a model B but those models all refer to Nishijin brand - yours is a Sankyo...

My hobby is to remove as many parts as possible, clean the parts and put it back together. Member Rival published an E Book on Amazon that shows, in great detail, the refurbishing of a Nishijin Model B. Both Rival and member Cardwii sell replacement cell artwork on their websites.
    http://www.pachinkoplanet.com
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com

As far as cleaning the white wood area; I'm assuming you mean the front of your machine. It looks like laminate to me, maybe it's wood? You can clean the laminate pretty well with bar polish and window cleaner. If it is wood, it is much easier to take it apart and sand, stain, seal, etc.

Check out the E Book and the step by step cell replacement sticky.

Have fun.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh man- thank you guys for all the help! I'm starting to really get all geeked out over this thing! I can see how addicting it could be to buy some for cheap and fix them up!

@Moparformances - you mentioned a window is broken- can you be more clear? I don't know what that is.

So- I am posting more pics here tonight- close ups of each section. I'm hoping you guys can take a look and tell me off the bat what might be broken or need replaced. I realize that's difficult from a picture- but it might give me a good start. I can at least start working on locating the obvious broken parts while I dig in and start cleaning it all up! I'll go ahead and upload all the images, then do another post with specific questions...
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. The following user says "Thanks" to eyal8r

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hmmm. Those pictures aren't coming out right. Here's the bulk of them, all right side up...

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/eyal8r/library/

I'll post in another post specific questions.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK- questions... UGGH! Sorry! For some reason the forum is turning all my pics sideways! I can't get it fixed! If you want to look at all pics on my photobucket- they're turned correctly.
    http://s40.photobucket.com/user/eyal8r/library/

1) What is this slot for?
    Photo Nov 18, 7 06 21 PM.jpg

2) There's styrofoam in between the playfield and the frame. Is that supposed to be there, or should I remove it?
    Photo Nov 18, 7 07 28 PM.jpg

3) Can this plastic fringe be restored/replaced?
    Photo Nov 18, 7 07 38 PM.jpg

4) The white plastic level thing is broken. Where do I locate a replacement? Also- is there something that is supposed to trigger that microswitch?
    Photo Nov 18, 7 10 45 PM.jpg

5) Need a cover for the white plastic ramp? What about replacing the spring to the metal gate on the top right corner?
    Photo Nov 18, 7 11 22 PM.jpg

6) New fuse needed - what size? Also need to replace the red knob on the wire pole. Again, best place to locate that?
    Photo Nov 18, 7 11 42 PM.jpg

7) The 2 white L-Shaped things in the middle. There's an eye hole as if something goes there (spring perhaps?) Is something missing?
    Photo Nov 18, 7 12 18 PM.jpg

8) I can't tell if this blue thing is broken, or what the purpose of it is?

Photo Nov 18, 7 12 49 PM.jpg

9) Replace the spring? Lube ball bearings?
    Photo Nov 18, 7 15 10 PM.jpg

10) The blue needle angles outwards- can't tell if it's bent, or meant to be that way? Replace???
    Last edited by eyal8r; 11-18-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

10) The blue needle angles outwards- can't tell if it's bent, or meant to be that way? Replace???
    Photo Nov 18, 7 16 54 PM.jpg

Thanks in advance guys! This will give me a HUGE head start! I can order parts, and start cleaning it up while I wait for them to come in! I think half my battle will be learning the purpose of all these things. Probably time to re-watch more videos! You guys ROCK!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some answers for you: #1 The slot at the upper right corner is a window to see when the balls in the payout hopper is getting low. You can physically see them when it is full. Do you have pachinko balls? You will need at least 500 to play without constantly refilling.
    #2 The Styrofoam...I have seen it on many machines. I don't know if all once had it, nor do I know its exact purpose. I believe it kept outward pressure on the door (before it became compressed) to prevent noise and vibration of the door. If it is in good shape, I would leave it alone. If it is all torn up or nasty, I would probably remove it. Possibly even find a replacement, but not necessary.
    #3 Not sure the purpose of the plastic fringe. On machines that it is ugly (damaged ugly), I have removed it. Again, not sure if ALL machines once had it...but many do.
    #4 The broken plastic lever is the "low ball" pressure plate (made that name up!), It is what activates the micro switch. The switch illuminates the "low ball" light, usually in the upper right corner. Judging from where the wires go...it is probably a red light behind the window of the front ball tray. The linkage rod on it goes to a gate in the shooter area that stops the balls from reaching the shooter when the balls in the jackpot tray get low. Finding parts is tough. The easiest machine to get parts for are Nishijin model B's. Parts are obtained from parts machines that are too far gone to justify repairing. Nishijin model B machines are the most plentiful...so getting parts for them are much easier. You can repair that part pretty easily. I would use an epoxy and glue it back together. Everyone has their favorite...here is my favorite.finally 002.jpg Called Plastic Welder made by VersaChem. Seems like all car parts stores have it in the same place that Permatex is at. It is VERY strong and I have fixed many parts with it. I have even built it up and filled holes where plastic parts were missing. If sanded smooth, you can also polish it! The "low ball pressure plate" doesn't exert much pressure...it only presses a micro switch, and moves a linkage to a ball stop gate. Even still, I would probably cut some plastic strips (like from a cassette box or CD box) and after the 2 pieces were dry (you can work on it as soon as about 30 minutes), and you were satisfied with the repair, then sand smooth any excess epoxy from both sides of the seam and epoxy the strips on each side of the break to make it stronger. Not on top! Just sand it smooth so balls can roll across it. This will allow you to play it as you search for the correct part from a parts machine. Some members cast parts to make an exact copy. They would need the broken parts, and can make a duplicate that is hard to distinguish from the original. I don't know what anyone would charge for such a service. Probably cheaper to buy the kit that they use, I know they are avaliable...don't know what they are called or how much they cost.
    #5 The track cover...something needs to be done. You can fabricate one with plastic and a heat gun...aluminum or tin...cardboard etc. Some models are even reproduced by members...not sure if for Sankyos.
    #6 The power wire thumbscrew. Any screw with the correct metric thread pitch (m4-1.0 I believe) will work. Once again I think some member sells them. I dig and see who to contact after this post. The fuse...any small fuse...probably 1amp will do. If using a 9volt battery, not necessary, but a power supply of some kind that plugs into the wall...I would use a fuse. DO NOT POWER WITH 120 VOLTS!
    #7 Nothing looks missing. Inside the ball tracks -, the top part of those is a pressure plate. When no balls are holding them down, the part in the pic moves to the left blocking the jackpot lever from lifting and paying out. These machines have many features that keep them from playing (and therefore jamming up) when there are not enough balls in them.
    #8 The blue thing is part of the trap door that drops the jackpot down the chute into the front tray, and is part of the mechanism that is the jackpot cycle. It will all make sense when you fill it with balls and trigger a jackpot. No, it does not look broken.
    #9 Don't see any reason to replace the spring. A couple drops of 3 in 1 oil wouldn't hurt. Do not lubricate ANYTHING else. Cleaning and polishing pivot points is all it needs. Lubrication eventually gums up the works, and attracts dust. Petroleum products also destroy plastic! Do not oil anything plastic!
    #10 The blue needle looks fine. Every time the flipper is pressed down, it moves the blue needle, which has an arm going through a hole in the plywood into the shooter mechanism. This arm loads the next ball into the shooting lane.
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by pachiwall; 11-19-2014 at 01:00 AM.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Lower track cover from Pachinko Restorations. http://pachinkorestorations.com/Part...12&category=12 Thumbscrews for the power wires. http://pachinkorestorations.com/Part...=10&category=4 Looks a little different, but this one says it is for a Sankyo. http://pachinkorestorations.com/Part...121&category=4 These are from member Cardwwi. Pachinko Planet Is member Rival's site. http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/ Mxfaiman has a site as well. http://www.pachinkoboy.com/ And of course Cardwwi's site that the previous links were from. http://pachinkorestorations.com/Home.php I think a couple other members have sites...but I can't remember them. Sorry if I missed you!
    Last edited by pachiwall; 11-19-2014 at 01:26 AM.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

@Moparformances - you mentioned a window is broken- can you be more clear? I don't know what that is.

post #8 second picture looks like the clear window to the shooter may be broken??? could be a reflection??

other then that looks to be a complete machine..

looks like ya got your other questions answered...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nope, don't think it's broken. This is great info! I'll get those parts ordered and dig in! Do you guys have any specific order of how you like to tear into a project like this? Start with the cell, frame, then the mechanics? Or the other way around? Again, any advice is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    post #8 second picture looks like the clear window to the shooter may be broken??? could be a reflection??

other then that looks to be a complete machine..

looks like ya got your other questions answered...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As your machine is a Sankyo, the play field may be Formica, not the typical paper play field graphic with a Mylar wear layer glued on top. Have a close look. If Formica, you may not want to remove the nails before cleaning as it may chip the Formica. The good news is you can be more liberal with your cleaning efforts as the Formica will not water stain.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to gooilers

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nope, don't think it's broken.
    glad to read that

This is great info! I'll get those parts ordered and dig in! Do you guys have any specific order of how you like to tear into a project like this? Start with the cell, frame, then the mechanics? Or the other way around? Again, any advice is appreciated!
    I sometimes feel im in the minority.. im a less is more kinda guy.. if your machine was mine i would not bother taking it apart.. I dont see any reason for restoration... its only original once and your is so clean why mess with it... give it all the cleaning it needs and play the hell out of it... if at a later time it needs restoration then go for it..

dont get me wrong there have been qite a few machines post that need restoration.. but yours... no

imho

27. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I sometimes feel im in the minority.. im a less is more kinda guy.. if your machine was mine i would not bother taking it apart.. I dont see any reason for restoration... its only original once and your is so clean why mess with it... give it all the cleaning it needs and play the hell out of it... if at a later time it needs restoration then go for it..

dont get me wrong there have been qite a few machines post that need restoration.. but yours... no

imho
    Ya know- not a bad thought. I definitely want to get it cleaned up- get the dust off it, polish up the chrome, etc. But beyond that with the mechanics- maybe you're right. I'd love to get it up and running- then maybe I'll restore at a later date. Who knows- just reinstalling parts, re-wiring, etc- I may end up restoring it as I go. We'll see. It WOULD be nice to get the cell colors brightened up, but beyond some light cleaning, that's beyond my efforts for now. Maybe I'll do a light restore for now- knock some rust off, replace worn parts, light sand the frame, polish, and PLAY!

I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks for all the help!!!

29. The following user says "Thanks" to eyal8r