Thread: Nishijin Late '75 B type sumo pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Nishijin Late '75 B type sumo pachinko

A funny thing happened to me at my wife's tattoo parlor. We went there yesterday for my wife's latest tattoo, a sea themed sleeve. I had spoken to her tattoo artist about my interest in pachinko on my last visit there. She had told me they had an old pachinko in their storeroom that had been sitting there for a number of years collecting dust.

When I visited yesterday, my wife's tattoo artist told me that she had spoken to the machine's owner about me and my interest in pachinkos and he told her that I could have the machine if I wanted it. I did a mental happy dance and thanked her and the owner very, very much! While my wife was getting tattooed, I was cleaning my new machine

Here's some photos of the machine.

PB152519.jpgPB152520.JPGPB152521.JPGPB152522.jpgPB152523.JPG

PB152524.JPGPB152525.JPGPB152526.JPG

Using the Nishijin Vintage machine catalog I found on this site, I believe this is a late 1975 B type machine with a sumo theme. Comparing the photos, I think it looks pretty complete, however, my knowledge on vintage machines is close to non-existent. I have some questions:

I know it's missing a fuse. What type of and voltage of fuse does it take? Can it be run without it? I'm assuming not, though. What does it take for a battery? Is there a battery box I'm not seeing or does it need to be wired into the fuse box? if so, does it matter which terminal a given wire is wired into? Are the lights lit all the time or do they only light when a ball goes into the pocket? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have not lost my mind. I have it backed up on disk somewhere...
    Dai Yamato, Gundam One Year War, Thunderbirds, Mach Go Go Go, Aliens
    Yamato Resurrection, Late '75 Nishjin Sumo

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to ackleplem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin Late '75 B type sumo pachinko

Oh yes, I knew I was forgetting something: how do you replace/repin the lock on one of these machines?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just use a 9 volt battery. If you are using a battery, you do not need a fuse. You will need to complete the connection though, I just usually throw any fuse in there or just bypass it. As for the lock, I have always just put a hole in the side of my cabinet to reach the latch in the back. You can also just remove the original lock and replace with a basic one. Others here might have a different way.

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to tommy4132

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is a picture of how I hooked mine up. You have two lights. One will come on when you get a jackpot and shut off right away. The second light is a low ball light and will stay on until you put enough balls in the machine. Both lights work off of a micro switch of leaf switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to tommy4132

Thanks
    Thanks Received

power to the yellow and orange posts...

your going to have to adjust the lief switches for them to work properly.. the low ball wire and lief are kinda bent up..

as for a key if ya feel that you have to have one take it to a lock smith and have a key cut... Most of the time they will depin it so most any key will work.. but if ya ask to have a key cut any good smith should be able to get it working for ya..

nice looking machine
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congrats! Looks like the machine is in good shape and complete. The see saw is in the down position and will have to be tilted to the up position before you play. There should be a small plunger under the see saw to raise it without having to remove the cover.

As far as power you have a couple options. One, the machine will work fine without power, but you will have no lights. I like the lights as it seems to add to the experience for me. Two, as Tommy mentioned you can wire in a 9 volt battery and add a fuse. With a 9 volt there is no risk of fire or electrocution so any size fuse is ok. You'll want to make sure you have 7.5 or 9 volt lights in the machine if you use a 9 volt battery. If you have 12 volt bulbs running off 9 volts your battery can get hot and the lights won't be very bright. I usually run 7.5 in this case because 9 volt seem to be non-existent these days. The third option is to buy a "wall wart" plug in adapter. This option is nice because you don't have to mess around changing batteries or worry about batteries leaking. You can use a 9 volt or 12 volt adapter and run the appropriate bulbs for the voltage. 7.5 or 9 volt for a 9 volt power supply or 12 volt for a 12 volt supply. If you're plugging into the wall it's safest to use a fuse. Check the amps on the power supply to determine the proper fuse. I think most need a 1 amp fuse. The adapters can get hot if left plugged in for an extended time so I usually plug into a power strip and just turn the strip off when not in use.

You really don't need a lock. None of my vintage machines have them. As a matter of fact I have only ever seen 2 lock/keys and both were in photos. On the back of the machine there are 2 different latches to open the doors. One of the latches will open the whole back and allow it to swing out. Make sure the machine is secure when you do this because the weight can cause the machine to tip. If your machine isn't mounted it's probably just as easy to turn the machine around to access the rear mechanics. The other latch with allow you to open just the front glass to access the playfield. Again, good idea to make sure the machine is secure, but the door and glass weight much less than the entire assembly so it is less likely to cause the machine to tip over. One the front glass is open you can then open the lower tray to access the front side shooter assembly. Make sure you empty all the balls into the lower tray before opening this door. I learned the hard way.

Enjoy your new machine.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you everyone. I have noticed that putting balls into the pocket, that they are pooling up in the winning ball area and are not paying out. Where abouts are the bent areas you noticed, Mopar? Is it connected with the winning ball area?

The see saw you're referencing Spyder, is it the one on the left side of the machine with the clear part with the small door?
    Last edited by ackleplem; 11-16-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Additional questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ackleplem View Post
    The see saw you're referencing Spyder, is it the one on the left side of the machine with the clear part with the small door?
    Yes, I think that is your problem. The switches Mopar noted are for the lights. If the see saw is in the down position it will not pick up the winning ball and trigger the jackpot. If there is a small plunger under that door just push it up and then release it. It will raise the see saw which will then allow the winning ball to roll in. The weight of that ball will bring the see saw down again and drop the ball onto the track to trigger the jackpot. The see saw should then reset itself and pick up the next ball and drop it to trigger another jackpot. If you have a lot of balls backed up the weight may make it difficult for the see saw to fully reset so you may have to raise it manually until all the balls are clear and then it should start resetting on its own. If there is no plunger, just open the door and manually lift the see saw so the winning ball can roll in. If that doesn't work post a photo of the ball jam and someone should be able to help.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've moved the see saw a number of times to get the winning balls to move and they aren't budging. I can't see what could be causing the obstruction. Any idea if there is anything in that region that could be causing that?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

while looking at it from the back, just tilt/lean the machine to the right so the balls roll away from the seesaw, then tilt it back to the upright position. They may just need to re-settle in that area so they can enter the seesaw. If they are still stuck after re-positioning them, you may have a ball of the wrong size in there, or perhaps a marble. If that is the case, then you will need to disassemble the machine enough so you can remove the obstruction.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you do as Jeff suggests you should see the balls roll away from the seesaw. If they don't then there is an obstruction and you should get a good idea of where it is. A chopstick is a great tool for poking around and freeing up stuck balls. If everything seems to move OK check to see if you have a jam after the seesaw. If you don't have enough balls in the hopper and upper track the jackpot won't trigger and can cause winning balls to back up. Once there are enough balls in front of the jackpot mechanism to provide proper payouts the ball jam after the seesaw should clear. A photo of that area may help.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you both for the input. I traced down the obstruction and was able to work it loose. There were balls bunched up near where the chute to the see saw was. I got them loose and everything is now working properly. My left tulip seems to be misbehaving (not letting the ball go inside to score the jackpot), otherwise everything mechanically appears to be working. I wired in a battery and it looks like two of my three bulbs may be out. What type of bulbs are used and how do you slip out the sockets to replace them?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You may want to try putting the one bulb you know works into the other sockets and test to make sure it's a bad bulb and not a wiring issue. The rubber grommet should slip out of the holder then the bulb just unscrews from the socket. Sometimes it takes a bit of pressure to push the grommet off the plastic tabs, just make sure you don't break the plastic.

As Mopar mentioned, if your switches aren't making good contact your lights won't work. Make sure the two metal strips are coming together and making good contact. You also want to make sure that the contacts are clean and shiny. If they are dull and corroded the current won't travel well. You can use a piece of emery cloth or an emory file or 400 grit sandpaper to clean up the contacts without having to remove the switch. At 9 volts you don't need to worry about being electrocuted so you can just manually push the metal strips together to make sure they are making good contact and check to see if the bulb works.

If you do need new bulbs just go to your local Radio Shack, hobby shop or electronics store and buy a couple 7.5 volt screw base miniature bulbs. The screw base is the same size for all bulbs so you don't need to worry about if the base will fit in the socket.

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

your low ball wire is the bent one and the lief switch it makes contact with..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It was actually more than just bent. The contacts were above the bar that was suppose to make them come together when the hopper chute went up. I adjusted that and straightened out the contacts abit. That light is now working. When I get some time, I'll check that one bulb that is still currently out. The tulips now seem to be working for the most part. I think they just need some exercise. At this point the machine is pretty much up and running!

Thank you everyone for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ackleplem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ackleplem View Post
    At this point the machine is pretty much up and running!
    Glad to hear it! Have fun and win a lot of balls.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I intend to. Thank you and everyone else again for all your help!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Depending on the model of the lock, you may be able to re-key it yourself: link

31. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to gooilers

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you. That is really neat information. The lock looks to be the original. The way I plan on diplaying it, I don't think I will need to depin it, but the entry is cool.

Just a quick update: I've been putting the machine through its paces and having a blast doing it. Everything is now working on the machine! Not bad for a 39 year old machine that's been sitting in a storeroom for years.
    Last edited by ackleplem; 11-20-2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Update

33. The following user says "Thanks" to ackleplem