Thread: Modern Popeye pachinko $100 - Chico, CA

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Modern Popeye pachinko $100 - Chico, CA

I've read good things about the machine here in the modern pachinko forum and would probably try to make a deal on it myself, but it is a long drive and I am starting a new job on Monday. If it's still around next weekend maybe I'll make an offer and take the road trip.

The ad states: For Sale is a new Popeye Pachinko machine. This machine is new and had not been used, but is missing the key to open the front of the machine.

00J0J_coPU3Yqbafb_600x450.jpg00R0R_k7HE4BVQC6V_600x450.jpg00X0X_9GDhYPuHrGn_600x450.jpg

I am reasonably certain the machine has seen use in a parlor, but maybe hasn't been used since it was shipped to the US.

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Modern Popeye pachinko $100 - Chico, CA

it is used, they all are, but, it has a cabinet and transformer already, the latch to open just the glass or the whole front should be on the left side when looking at the back
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

4. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like the Sammy model from 2004, not 100% what spec it is as there is no pic showing for the ST or FN versions, but often each spec will have a different or slightly different cell artwork

http://translate.google.com/translat...1&ie=Shift_JIS

won't be 'new' new, I've yet to see a 'new' pachinko, they would cost many thousands of ££'s, but it might be good condition, some of mine have been in exceptionally good condition with the seal stickers intact over the ashtrays and every thing, plastics, pins, and cell really shiny with no hint of ball travel, so it's possible to have a real good one come up for sale.

Your best bet is to go take a look

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi - I'm a newbie on Pachitalk and this is a good time to make my first post since I am the person who bought the $100 Popeye pachinko in Chico CA last Sunday.
    So here's the scoop. The seller told me it was purchased at an auction by his late father. It is mounted in a nice wood frame/stand and came with lots o' balls. There is no key but the key from my other 2 pachinkos fit. However, the lock cam is missing so the key just turns freely. You can open it from the back though. It powers up and the video display looks sharp. But the shooter doesn't work. There is a dongle in the socket on the rear of the game. I can't figure out why the shooter doesn't work but it doesn't appear to be a grounding issue. Any suggestions? Anybody want a great deal on a near mint Popeye pachinko that has a non-working shooter?

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to EenieQWolverine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Modern Popeye pachinko $100 - Chico, CA

have you tried reseating the dongle or maybe swap it for one you know works.??

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    have you tried reseating the dongle or maybe swap it for one you know works.??
    I have re-seated the dongle several times to no avail. My other Popeye pachinko works great but has been altered so that it does not require a dongle at all. Same with my Time Bokan pachinko so I have no way to try a different dongle at this time.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk. I am glad someone here was able to get the machine which is why I posted it. I do not have much experience with modern machines (and really not that much with vintage either) so I am afraid I won't be able to help much. Is the shooter making any noises like it's trying to shoot a ball? Maybe the ball path is obstructed? Hopefully you got a good enough deal on it that you won't feel like you have more into the machine than it's worth if you need to invest a little money to get it working.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks - I'll probably have to attempt some disassembly. The shooter makes no noise at all and I pulled a drywall screw out of the ball channel with a skinny magnet so I suspect there could be more jamming the shooter mechanism internally. The drywall screws came with the machine and were used to attach the side pieces to the custom frame the machine is mounted in. So we'll see what's inside there. This will be my first attempt at any major repair on a modern pachinko, but I am retired from decades in the pinball industry (when there still was a pinball industry!) so I hope I can figure something out. At least I have a nearly identical working Popeye machine so I can "stare and compare" and we'll see what happens.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to EenieQWolverine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you can get access the the lower front of the door by opening just the glass part and look for a small lower door release latch on the door,

16. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by EenieQWolverine View Post
    Thanks - I'll probably have to attempt some disassembly. The shooter makes no noise at all and I pulled a drywall screw out of the ball channel with a skinny magnet so I suspect there could be more jamming the shooter mechanism internally. The drywall screws came with the machine and were used to attach the side pieces to the custom frame the machine is mounted in. So we'll see what's inside there. This will be my first attempt at any major repair on a modern pachinko, but I am retired from decades in the pinball industry (when there still was a pinball industry!) so I hope I can figure something out. At least I have a nearly identical working Popeye machine so I can "stare and compare" and we'll see what happens.
    if ya dont mind postin where are ya located.. i have a few dongles (including a daverob dongle) if your in my neck of the woods i would be willing to lend a hand...

of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It must be my lucky day. I am located only 35 miles away in Roseville and I would love to try some other dongles for the Popeye machine and also any other help you could give me regarding modern pachinkos.
    Please send me a PM

20. The following user says "Thanks" to EenieQWolverine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by EenieQWolverine View Post
    It must be my lucky day. I am located only 35 miles away in Roseville and I would love to try some other dongles for the Popeye machine and also any other help you could give me regarding modern pachinkos.
    Please send me a PM

Pm sent
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead