Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Other mechanical things I collect!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Other mechanical things I collect!

I love wind up watches! I just added two Russian clocks to my collection! DSCF9063.JPG The top one is for a Russian MIG...and the bottom one is for Russian tanks and armored vehicles. They both have a 5 day movement. The tank clock seems to gain about 1.5 minutes per day. I just got the MIG clock today...so, I don't know how accurate it is. But it is SWEET! DSCF9077.JPG I had to take about 5 pics to get a shot without much glare on the glass! DSCF9083.JPG It has 3 separate clockworks inside. Each independent of each other. Of course there is the main clock, in the middle. The red knob on the left winds the clock...counter clockwise. Pushing the red knob cycles the top clock through its stuff! The top clock is a 12 hour stopwatch, labeled "flight time". From 12 o'clock "reset" position...the "red square" is a "white square". Pressing the red button STARTS the "flight time" stopwatch...and the square turns red. There is no second hand on the 12 hr stopwatch, just hours and minutes...and a red square! Press the red knob again, and the 12 hr clock stops and the square turns white on the right and red on the left. Press it once more and the square turns all white, and the 12 hr clock resets.
    Imagine that you know that you have 6 hours of fuel in your plane. When you take off...I bet the 12 hr clock (actually a stopwatch) is started and watched very carefully as the time passed! The right knob can be pressed to cycle the lower clock through it's paces. The labeling is claimed to say 'seconds". It actually times minute and seconds. Up to 59 minutes and 59 seconds.
    From reset, press once, it starts. Press again it stops. Press once more it resets.

2. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Fan of mechanical things as well and especially watches. I just saw an article about a watch made in the 20's I think that just auctioned for millions that had something like a dozen complications to include the changing night sky as viewed from New York.
    The pic is of my favorite dive watch-my Sinn U2 which also appeals to my affinity for German/Swiss made products. The band is the optional thick silicone which is very comfortable plus I'm not really a fan of metal bands. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415890597.538976.jpg
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

4. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Other mechanical things I collect!

Well while not really mechanical I collect old tube radios.

010.jpgradio 001.jpg002g.jpg

got one more I can't find a picture of....

100 machines and counting...

6. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a collection of TV/Radio tubes, so let me know if you are ever looking for something to get one of those working.

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Well while not really mechanical I collect old tube radios.

010.jpgradio 001.jpg002g.jpg

got one more I can't find a picture of....
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is what I think is the epitome of mechanical coolness: a Curta calculator. Made from the late 40's to 1970 and were replaced by electronic calculators. Looks like I'm in the market for one...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYsOi6L_Pw4

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Combining Max's tube radio with Emmadog's mechanical calculator...it reminded me of a desk calculator my step dad got at a garage sale. http://anita-calculators.info/html/anita_mk_12.html It was like this, but not sure if the same model, or even brand! but it was HUGE! The numbers were tubes with grids with number shapes on them that glowed hot. The grids were stacked, with 0 closest to the front, and 9 farthest away. 9 also had to shine through all the other grids, so it was dimmer with interference! It was WAY cool. He also had a TV with a "clicker" remote (from a garage sale). The remote was entirely mechanical. When you pressed a button, you could feel the spring pressure building up. It was lifting a tiny hammer that struck a metal bar and made a "ping" sound that a microphone on the front of the TV picked up and adjusted whatever feature that sound controlled. 5 buttons, 5 different length metal bars. each sounding a different pitch. 1st one was power. Press once "ON", press again "OFF". The second was volume up. Press once and the volume slowly increased. Press again and the increase stopped at that point. 3rd was volume down.Functions same as volume up, except it lowers until the 2nd press. 4th was channel up, 5th was channel down, I don't have space for that giant black and white TV...but I wish I still had that "clicker"!

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't opened the MIG clock yet (you know I will!), but here is some info I found about it on the web! http://www.abbeyclock.com/photos/mig.html

14. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Checking the accuracy of the MIG clock. The right knob stops the clock when turned CCW. I stopped it with the second hand at 12. Then set the clock to the clock on my computer. When the seconds on my computer reaches 00...I start the MIG clock. So far it seems to gain about 12 seconds per day! NOT BAD! If it needs adjustment, it can be done without taking it apart. Simply unscrew a plug off the back, and the regulator on the balance wheel is accessible through the hole. DSCF9104.JPG OOPS! I forgot to delete that one. Flash wouldn't go down the hole, so I used a flashlight. DSCF9106.JPG Then, a flashlight AND flash.DSCF9105.JPG I have only taken the back cover off of the tank clock. In order to remove the clockwork from the case, you have to remove the lens then all three hands to slide it out. I,m not ready to do that. The regulator for it is easily accessible with the back off. DSCF9100.JPGDSCF9101.JPG I took this while trying to slow it down just a bit. This info is for a similar tank clock. I wanted this one,,,but the price was never right. http://www.abbeyclock.com/photos/tank.html It winds by twisting the bezel. Pull out the bezel to set time.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Those tubes with the numbers in them were called Nixie tubes and are very cool.

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Other mechanical things I collect!

My wife was a piano teacher and played excellent, when I first got married I bought her a brand new modern player piano for 2 grand.

she could play it by hand and i could i play it with the 25 rolls we got with it.

it had a solonoid for each key and vacumn lines along with many gears and motors

it also played older rolls i picked up at the flea market

it was a well though out piece of machinery, the player part stopped working years ago, she still plays the piano at my old house!
    Last edited by luckydog; 11-14-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nixie tubes were also standard in frequency counters at one time from HP. They were also very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Those tubes with the numbers in them were called Nixie tubes and are very cool.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I collect some watches as well but they are not wind up and are all Disney. I used to have more but sold some. I had antique pocket watch I regret selling but at the time really was in a situation where needed money.

I also have an old tube radio but just the one but it is a nice one but does need some work. It is a mid 1950s I believe Grundig Majestic. Pictured below.

I also have 2 antique pinball machines and currently haggling for another. The 2nd one I have stalled on my restoration though virtually done. I am just waiting on somebody to complete the recreation of the 10 balls for 5 cents sign. Hopefully they will complete it soon. They are doing for free so hard to push... Both pictured below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

24. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love those antique pins, especially the gambling versions.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

After learning about Curta calculators I knew I had to pick one up. They've got such a fascinating history (their genesis saved the inventor's life while in a concentration camp during WW2).
    Anyway, this tiny machine does subtraction, addition, multiplication, division, squaring, cubing and square root operations.
    It computes numbers to 11 places and does all this by turning the crank and setting the numbers to whatever is desired. For some operations like subtraction and division, the crank itself lifts up a tad and exposes a silver band to remind the user of the mode and locks in place. On top, the numbers in silver are the revolution counter and the numbers in black are the results numbers.
    The knurled upper carriage is spring loaded and lifts up to allow rotation to 1 of 6 positions for multipliers of more than 1 digit. It also keeps track of how many times the crank was turned.
    To clear all the top numbers the carriage is raised and the top clearing handle with a loop is turned once. Depressing a small button allows the clearing handle to pivot inwards so the calculator can be stowed in its case.
    Mine was made in 1953 and after over 60 years all the user operated parts still lock into the detents with precision and a satisfying feel. Turning the handle yields a subtle winding sound as the over 600 parts interact together. Typical superlative German engineering.
    A few pics of my Type 1. There is also a type 2 which can handle a few more decimal places. Both were discontinued in 1970 with the advent of electronic calculators.
    The pic of the rear of the unit shows the reversing lever used to keep track of subtractive turns. The small silver pins at top and bottom are sliding decimal place holders.
    Attachment 77546Attachment 77547Attachment 77548Attachment 77549ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416698157.316401.jpg

28. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love those antique pins, especially the gambling versions.
    I agree. I would love a gambling one but most are out of my budget that I have seen if I factor in the cost to ship to me. Never see any near me. I live close to NYC and most were destroyed. If I at some point am more well off I will be able to afford one that could come from somewhere else. Someday....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is really cool and amazingly new looking. Really nice.

After learning about Curta calculators I knew I had to pick one up. They've got such a fascinating history (their genesis saved the inventor's life while in a concentration camp during WW2).
    Anyway, this tiny machine does subtraction, addition, multiplication, division, squaring, cubing and square root operations.
    It computes numbers to 11 places and does all this by turning the crank and setting the numbers to whatever is desired. For some operations like subtraction and division, the crank itself lifts up a tad and exposes a silver band to remind the user of the mode and locks in place. On top, the numbers in silver are the revolution counter and the numbers in black are the results numbers.
    The knurled upper carriage is spring loaded and lifts up to allow rotation to 1 of 6 positions for multipliers of more than 1 digit. It also keeps track of how many times the crank was turned.
    To clear all the top numbers the carriage is raised and the top clearing handle with a loop is turned once. Depressing a small button allows the clearing handle to pivot inwards so the calculator can be stowed in its case.
    Mine was made in 1953 and after over 60 years all the user operated parts still lock into the detents with precision and a satisfying feel. Turning the handle yields a subtle winding sound as the over 600 parts interact together. Typical superlative German engineering.
    A few pics of my Type 1. There is also a type 2 which can handle a few more decimal places. Both were discontinued in 1970 with the advent of electronic calculators.
    The pic of the rear of the unit shows the reversing lever used to keep track of subtractive turns. The small silver pins at top and bottom are sliding decimal place holders.
    Attachment 77546Attachment 77547Attachment 77548Attachment 77549ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416698157.316401.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

32. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    I agree. I would love a gambling one but most are out of my budget that I have seen if I factor in the cost to ship to me. Never see any near me. I live close to NYC and most were destroyed. If I at some point am more well off I will be able to afford one that could come from somewhere else. Someday....
    yep, shipping is pricey and i've only seen them online for the most part. there is a Jennings Sportsman near me at an extremely cool antiques shop nera me but i've never made an offer. the place also has a couple of Em pins and a couple of shuffle bowlers which are set up to play and lots of fun.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would love the sportsman. I've seen a few online but out of my range. Really are gorgeous. I would love a bowler too but they are huge and don't have the room. I saw one near me for $200 which is way cheap but it was 15 feet long so no way to get it home and no place to put it. I need to become rich and buy a bigger house.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

The case looks so simply made for such a precision instrument.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast