Thread: My Nishijin Model B

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My Nishijin Model B

Hello everyone,
    When my dad was in Japan when he was in the US Coast Guard he bought a Nishijin Deluxe Super Pachinko in what had to be either 1976 or 1977. We had it installed in our house when I was a kid and I remember at one point it quit working a little over 20 years ago. I had totally forgotten about it but I discovered it in my mom's house a few weeks ago and yesterday I finally spent a little time on it to get it functioning again.

First some general pics.

The front (I haven't been able to find a pic of another with a playing board exactly like this one):

The back (nothing new to most of you):

The main thing that was broken was this little clear plastic piece here; not sure what it's name is. The mounting plate was broken really close to the pivot point. If you look closely you can see the joint where I superglued it. If this ever fails again I will make a new mounting plate out of aluminum.

I have two outstanding issues

Issue 1: I have a rod that is still not connected and I haven't been able to figure out how it connects. It operates a flap of some sort in the bottom of the machine, and it appears to be functioning just fine without it. What is it's purpose, and how does it connect to the flipper mechanism?

Another Angle:

Issue 2: The lever that pops up when the machine is low on payout balls does not pop-up on its own anymore. I don't see a place that a spring or a counterweight should be attached. How is this part supposed to function?

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to LukePerry085

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My Nishijin Model B

first off

Welcome to Pachitalk

second would be your first pic

that rod was suported by a plastic tap (your is broken and missing)

what it does.... when a machine was winning allot the top front tray fills with pachinko balls.. when the top tray is full balls are diverted to the bottom tray.. when the bottom tray is over full ball will start to back up inside the machine.. when this happen a plunger has pressure applied to it and that plunger pushes the wire out.. the wire then pushes against the piece your repaired.. once it is pushed out of the way the shooter will no longer load balls so the machine will not work again until the player removes winning balls from the lower tray... (on a side note this rarely happens in home use cause most of us dont have enough balls to create so much winning )

your second question..

open the front glass.. then open the lower shooter tray.. once open your going to be able to see how that flag opperates... please post a picture of the shooter area..

most of the time the back of the flag has a wire this wire gets bent out of the way.. people do this cause they dont have enough balls and it will shut off all the time..

post a pic im sure we can help ya sort it out

nice machine
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

take a look at this...

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...l-b-video.html

see min 1:25 or so for info on the flag

again at 3:15 or so for the lower over flow
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk and thanks for the photos. Looks like Mopar has you on the right path. If I am not mistaken I believe your machine is a 1972 model which would fit with your timeline.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post

what it does.... when a machine was winning allot the top front tray fills with pachinko balls.. when the top tray is full balls are diverted to the bottom tray.. when the bottom tray is over full ball will start to back up inside the machine.. when this happen a plunger has pressure applied to it and that plunger pushes the wire out.. the wire then pushes against the piece your repaired.. once it is pushed out of the way the shooter will no longer load balls so the machine will not work again until the player removes winning balls from the lower tray... (on a side note this rarely happens in home use cause most of us dont have enough balls to create so much winning )
    I have a lot. Maybe not enough to have that problem, but pretty close. I probably won't worry about it for now, although I would like to have it working 100% correct. I don't see another place where the clear plastic piece is broken. Do you perhaps have a detailed pic of one that's completely intact?

your second question..

open the front glass.. then open the lower shooter tray.. once open your going to be able to see how that flag opperates... please post a picture of the shooter area..

most of the time the back of the flag has a wire this wire gets bent out of the way.. people do this cause they dont have enough balls and it will shut off all the time..

nice machine
    Here ya go:

The flag works. Nobody in my family would have ever bent it out of the way because, as I said above I have a lot of balls with this. Enough to fill the payout and both front trays.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    Welcome to PachiTalk and thanks for the photos. Looks like Mopar has you on the right path. If I am not mistaken I believe your machine is a 1972 model which would fit with your timeline.
    My Dad certainly either purchased in 1976 or 1977 (I'm leaning more toward 1976), as he didn't graduate from High School until 1975. FWIW, I was looking at some local Craigslist ads and found one with the same playing board. According to the seller it was also from 1976. That being said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he got one that had been sitting in a warehouse for a few years.

Thank you everybody for the kind words and the warm welcome. I appreciate all of the assistance!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

second would be your first pic

I have a lot of balls. If I don't have enough to make that a problem then it's close. I probably won't worry about it for now but I would like the machine to be 100% operational. On the clear plastic piece that I repaired I don't see any surface that looks like a break. Do you by chance have a detailed pic that shows one that's completely intact?

your second question..

nice machine

The flag works (when the ball lever is in the up position it drops down into the window), and nobody in my family would have bent it because, like I said above, I have a lot of balls with this. Enough to fill the jackpot and both front trays. The flag doesn't have any type of spring or counterweight assistance, it falls out of the way with gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    It was certainly 1976 or 1977 (after talking with my mom we're leaning more toward 1976) that he would have bought it. He didn't graduate from High School until 1975 so 1972 is out of the question. FWIW, I finally found another with an identical board on Craigslist today and the seller also says 1976. That being said, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that there were "new" 4 year old Pachinko machines for sale in Japan at the time.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and the warm welcome. I really appreciate the assistance!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There is a piece of plastic broken off on your machine. It holds that dangling wire in the back of your machine in position.

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

plastic.jpg

In the past, I have applied a plastic cable clamp with a very carefully placed fastener to replicate the broken off piece. Works fine.

plastic 2.jpg

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to Pachitalk!

What you have there is a 1973 Nishijin Model B (3 Comic). It makes sense that your dad got it in 76. As that is when most were being imported to the US. So many machines that were removed from the parlors went to a big warehouse for storage till another container went off. I also can't help but notice your machine has spinners from a Heiwa (I think). This isn't uncommon as if machines were broken they would take parts from other machines to fix them. This was all done in the warehouse and not the parlor of course.

Looks like mopar and Carl got your answers already.

Here are pictures of a machine exactly like yours.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vintag...7625372034700/

Also the reason why the flag doesn't work is the arm on the back probably needs to be adjusted. To do this the tray in the back must be empty. Then loosen the bolt on the arm that hits the flag. Let it drop till you see the flag fully. Tighten. Then push down the white lever in the top tray (on back) and make sure the flag goes all the way up and that the arm doesn't hit the plastic stop. If it does loosen the bolt and slide the arm down just a tad.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 11-11-2014 at 06:13 PM.

100 machines and counting...

14. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    What you have there is a 1973 Nishijin Model B (3 Comic). It makes sense that your dad got it in 76. As that is when most were being imported to the US. So many machines that were removed from the parlors went to a big warehouse for storage till another container went off. I also can't help but notice your machine has spinners from a Heiwa (I think). This isn't uncommon as if machines were broken they would take parts from other machines to fix them. This was all done in the warehouse and not the parlor of course.
    Very interesting piece of info! He actually bought it in Japan, but it must have been a refurb. I am sure that he wasn't aware of this fact and my mom was shocked to find out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Also the reason why the flag doesn't work is the arm on the back probably needs to be adjusted. To do this the tray in the back must be empty. Then loosen the bolt on the arm that hits the flag. Let it drop till you see the flag fully. Tighten. Then push down the white lever in the top tray (on back) and make sure the flag goes all the way up and that the arm doesn't hit the plastic stop. If it does loosen the bolt and slide the arm down just a tad.
    I'm confused. The flag does work, just the actuating lever does not pop up on its own (if I remove all jackpot balls and operate the lever by hand the flag shows). Are you saying there's supposed to be a spring or weight in the flag mechanism and that's what drives the lever upwards when there are no balls to force it down?

16. The following user says "Thanks" to LukePerry085

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by LukePerry085 View Post
    I'm confused. The flag does work, just the actuating lever does not pop up on its own (if I remove all jackpot balls and operate the lever by hand the flag shows). Are you saying there's supposed to be a spring or weight in the flag mechanism and that's what drives the lever upwards when there are no balls to force it down?
    Okay I'm getting a little confused now.... Everything works off gravity.

So it is the actual flag that blocks the balls is hanging up? It may need to be bent inward slightly then. It is typical for them to get pushed out due to closing behind the balls.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nope, the problem doesn't have to do with the flag, it has to do with the mechanism it's attached to. When the payout balls run out the lever that the balls press down does not pop up. The entire mechanism works because I can operate it by hand (when I lift it it makes contact with the electrical "switch" that turns on the empty light, it puts the flag in the window, etc.), it just won't pop up when the balls are gone. It's like there's supposed to be a spring or a counter weight that operates it.

Scroll to 50 seconds in the video. That lever stays down, even when no weight is applied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEhv...FuYE-UxXp4ZepA

Thanks
    Thanks Received

no springs is needed...

the weight of the lower bar is what acts as a counter balance.. the weight of the balls lift it and the weight of that bar brings it down lowering the flag.. if the pivot points are dirty or the rod/arm is draging on any plastics then it will not operate correctly.. with out testing it seems like the weight of 2 or 3 balls is all that required to move the flag..

check it out and see of something is dragging or binding..

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Makes sense. I'll check that this evening when I get home! Thanks again everyone!

22. The following user says "Thanks" to LukePerry085