Thread: Stand for machines to go on - questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Stand for machines to go on - questions

Hi,

so I am planning on buildings stand to put my machines on and have some questions. I was planning on framing with 2x4 studs and facing with cabinet grade plywood with a top of either same plywood or using poplar boards. I want to put machines in cabinets I will build on top and wanted to store machines that are not in use underneath as I do not have room for a ton of machines out. So on to my questions.

Does anybody know if I frame it that way how far I can safely go with open space underneath? Meaning if it was say wide enough to hold 3 machines side by side by side, would one center support going from top to floor (would frame it like a wall so studs going from front to back) be sufficient for the weight of the machines and balls in a top hopper? I prefer as much open space underneath as possible so I can store as many extra machines as I can but also want to make sure it can safely support the weight it needs to.

Also, this question pertains to machine storage. Can machines if I empty all balls be safely stored on their sides or is that not recommended and I should have upright?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Stand for machines to go on - questions

I have a couple machines stored on their side under the table I am currently using to play them on. The only problem I have seen is that I usually have to reset the jackpot seesaw to the up position when I put it upright to play.

I am not an expert in cabinet building like DaveCapps, but I would think if you are making a cabinet six feet long and a couple feet deep that framing on 18 inch centers should easily support the weight.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the reply. For what I planned was framing a box wide enough to have 3 machines side by side by side. I figured in would frame 16" on center all the way across on top and bottom parts of the box. My concern is if the box is say 7 feet wide is one framed wall going from the front of the box to the back of the box enough to support. I am thinking yes but not sure. Also not sure if my 16" all the way across the top and bottom is overkill.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would think it would be more than enough. As I said I am not an expert, but I've seen a lot of TV stands and furniture built a lot less sturdy. It probably is overkill since it will be supporting less than 150 pounds, but 2x4's are pretty cheap so if you use a couple extra it probably isn't a big deal.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks again. I am assuming it is overkill too but just wanted to be sure. My concern is if I build nice big hoppers for them and they have say 2000 balls a piece is that weight too much for it. I am sure I am ok or at least pretty sure...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I presume you are talking of housing vintages

but just in case you are going for a mix or adding to them later:

obviously vintages weigh a lot less then moderns and I understand a lot of the more recent 'moderns' weigh even more

So if going for any moderns, it might be worth double checking the weight of the machines as they are going to need more support

Look forward to seeing how you get on with this project

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post

I presume you are talking of housing vintages

but just in case you are going for a mix or adding to them later:

obviously vintages weigh a lot less then moderns and I understand a lot of the more recent 'moderns' weigh even more

So if going for any moderns, it might be worth double checking the weight of the machines as they are going to need more support

Look forward to seeing how you get on with this project

thanks for the reply. yes vintages, I do have one early modern and if anything modern came in it would be one like that but I really prefer the vintages. I am just now trying to figure this all out. I have limited space and unfortunately I have a low ceiling area due to a duct above which is where they will go so I am thinking of making the base deeper so the machines sit in front of the low area (the ceiling even in the rest of the area is not high, I think somewhere between 6.6 feet and 7 feet as there is a drop ceiling. I was hoping for nice big hoppers on top but I was measuring and think i may have an issue with that due to no room to actually pour the balls into the hoppers. So might have to go with just the standard hopper that is on the back of the machine already. I need to decide before I start so I build the cases properly. And then I need to sell my wife on the idea (the hardest part ) the room originally was going to be a play/hangout room for my kids and their friends but I have slowly been adding toys for me... 2 pinball machines, a handful of pachinko machines, 1 pachislo and an old air hockey table I got for free on craiglist. So getting there...

I will post pics as I go. Might be a while, I need to do that selling to the wife bit first

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    And then I need to sell my wife on the idea (the hardest part ) the room originally was going to be a play/hangout room for my kids and their friends but I have slowly been adding toys for me... 2 pinball machines, a handful of pachinko machines, 1 pachislo and an old air hockey table I got for free on craiglist. So getting there...

I will post pics as I go. Might be a while, I need to do that selling to the wife bit first
    Oh I'm sure she'll be fine with it

I put 3 pinballs in my dining room, along with my arrange ball

Will be a bit of a squeeze at Christmas time again though, as I can only get to one side of the table for now

(I'm going for the 'Hostess with the mostest' pinballs in the dining room )

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am sure you will be the hostess with the mostest.

I plan on doing what I have done in the past which is keep saying I am going to do it and she will keep saying she does not like the idea but won't flat out say no and then one day I will come home and start on it when she is not home and I will say we talked about it... besides she comes home with stuff all the time too. Usually shoes but occasionally larger items that take up huge amounts of space like the huge church pew she now has in the family room. Well actually she came home saying she bought a bench and needed me to go pick it up and when I got there is was not a bench and was as long as my car...

This project will he done one way or another.

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My ex had well over a hundred pairs of shoes and around 50 purses, I had 2 pair of shoes, for work and church
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

17. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    My ex had well over a hundred pairs of shoes and around 50 purses, I had 2 pair of shoes, for work and church
    Tis' the norm...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't had a stoage problem using 2x4 and laying them sideways. Just note that is when you lay them sideways that things will need some adjustment for play and to rotate the machines so they interlock which gives you more storage space.

008.jpg

100 machines and counting...

20. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    I haven't had a stoage problem using 2x4 and laying them sideways. Just note that is when you lay them sideways that things will need some adjustment for play and to rotate the machines so they interlock which gives you more storage space.

008.jpg

thanks Max. Is a little hard to tell, is it about every 3 feet you have a support going to the floor? Also your idea of rotating I might use. I have 2 ideas I am thinking of. One would be to build cabinets for each machine and store them in their cabinets. The other was to build cabinets that would stay permanent on top and as I rotate machines put them in the cabinets attached temporarily in them when in use, so would store the machines without a cabinet. The second option is my preference but not sure if possible to build cabinets that would hold any vintage machine. Are all vintages closes enough that a single cabinet could hold any machine?

thanks,
    Mike

22. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yeah supports are about every 3 ft.

Also machines cabinets are similar. But there are a few brands where the frame can be up to 1 inch to 1/2 and inch bigger than a standard Nishijin. Some are also smaller. So it gets kinda hard to do that.

100 machines and counting...

24. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Max. I will probably store them in cabinets then but it adds to the weight that needs to be lifted as well as taking up more space. Hmm I will need to think some more on this.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad