Thread: 1971 Nishijin Aoi Umi Client Restore pic

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1971 Nishijin Aoi Umi Client Restore pic

Shot of a nice 1971 Nishijin Aoi Umi I just finished for a client. Great pink tulips and a new playfield fr the collection, L-F. Love it!

1432_1.jpg

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1971 Nishijin Aoi Umi Client Restore pic

Yeah, and a video of course: http://youtu.be/OJuKIwhJKKA

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Why don't you put the playfield sticker back on? Or at least scan one in and recreate them? As without it there is no way to prove it is an Aoi Umi model. I always put the playfield stickers back on. Also if you want I have a Tokyo model sticker that I already finished recreating.

100 machines and counting...

6. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The sticker on the back "If you want merit, choose Nishijin Merit" says "Aoi Umi".

Cool on the sticker recreation, I have had no luck getting them redone. Nothing but grief.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The front just seems so plain without it. Plus they have cool artwork on them.

experation tag for model A close up.jpg

Guess I don't have a fully recreated one but I got really nice scans of the Tokyo and Aoi Umi ones.

100 machines and counting...

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another beautiful restoration. That chrome looks like brand new. How many hours of steel wool to get it to that shine? Any tips for getting inside the tracks for the glass?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I prefer to use the original sticker as opposed to a scan unless its destroyed. That original sticker is a cool link to the machine's commercial past.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On the couple I have done, I had tried to remove the old stickers but it would have ripped them so instead I just cut around the sticker on the old cel and trimmed it right to the sticker's edge and and glued them onto the new cel.
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    On the couple I have done, I had tried to remove the old stickers but it would have ripped them so instead I just cut around the sticker on the old cel and trimmed it right to the sticker's edge and and glued them onto the new
    cel.
    Same here. Saving the original sticker is worth it. There is a spray designed to remove stickers/labels so they can be saved. Say for example, a great bottle of wine. I haven't used it but I've often thought about it when doing restorations.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually, I am considering replacing the stock stickers with a totally crass and self-serving Pachinko Planet sticker, which in effect is no different from the "Pachinko Palace" et al stickers, which really in the end are no different from the original stickers we find on them. The machines came out of the factory with none of them. What we are discussing would be like recreating one of those plastic logos that dealers used to glue on the back of the trunk lids and bolting it to an immaculately restored 1969 GTO.
    Last edited by Rival; 10-22-2014 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    ...in the end are no different from the original stickers we find on them. The machines came out of the factory with none of them. What we are discussing would be like recreating one of those plastic logos that dealers used to glue on the back of the trunk lids and bolting it to an immaculately restored 1969 GTO.
    I am new to pachinko and can follow your logic for the expiration and tax stickers, etc., but I have to imagine the Nishijin stickers along with those of other manufacturers were put on before leaving the factory. Or am I mistaken? The Pachinko Palace stickers would be like a dealer decal, but the Nishijin stickers would be like removing the Pontiac badge from the car. Personally, I think the stickers are kind of cool if they are still in good shape. A lot of people that post pictures of a machine also includes photos of the stickers so I would like to believe I am not in the minority. I guess at the end of the day for me it is really about the aesthetic and would have to be a machine by machine decision about whether or not the stickers added anything interesting to the appearance of the machine or did they detract from it.
    Last edited by Spyder138; 10-22-2014 at 04:27 AM.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You know, there really are no rules. It all comes down to personal opinions on this stuff. I can see how some folks would like the original stickers. Honestly, in the end, it all comes down to personal preference.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    Actually, I am considering replacing the stock stickers with a totally crass and self-serving Pachinko Planet sticker, which in effect is no different from the "Pachinko Palace" et al stickers, which really in the end are no different from the original stickers we find on them. The machines came out of the factory with none of them. What we are discussing would be like recreating one of those plastic logos that dealers used to glue on the back of the trunk lids and bolting it to an immaculately restored 1969 GTO.
    It does sound funny when you put it that way. . That being said I agree with your next post about it being personal preference. I like the old stickers so for me that would be my preference but I can see somebody feeling different.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    I am new to pachinko and can follow your logic for the expiration and tax stickers, etc., but I have to imagine the Nishijin stickers along with those of other manufacturers were put on before leaving the factory. Or am I mistaken? The Pachinko Palace stickers would be like a dealer decal, but the Nishijin stickers would be like removing the Pontiac badge from the car. Personally, I think the stickers are kind of cool if they are still in good shape. A lot of people that post pictures of a machine also includes photos of the stickers so I would like to believe I am not in the minority. I guess at the end of the day for me it is really about the aesthetic and would have to be a machine by machine decision about whether or not the stickers added anything interesting to the appearance of the machine or did they detract from it.
    Agreed on all. I also like the history they show so would want to keep all of them if possible when doing a restore.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

practically everything comes down to personal preference but there's still better and worse ways to do things. if you're plan is to restore these to original condition and charge that kind of price then i wouldn't change or eliminate the tax/inspection stickers at all. that's part of the cool and interesting character of the machine. if the sticker is chewed up, i'd try and find a reproduction and go with that. the "pachinko palace" sticker is also part of the original vibe in regards to the machine's history once it came to the US, i'd leave it. many people that buy these are remembering them from their childhood. if you have to put a pachinko planet sticker on there, do it but don't eliminate the original stickers.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog