Thread: Playfield cel replacement tip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Playfield cel replacement tip

Hi,

I am in the middle of doing my 3rd cel replacement and wanted to give a tip to anybody who has considered doing this. I had an issue and read other people had similar issues of the spacer blocks breaking apart (and in one person's case, the front of the case) when separating the playfield from the case. On my first machine I did, the spacers broke into many pieces and the whole time was a very upsetting experience as it was unfolding. On my next attempt, the same thing happened but not as severely. In both cases I was able to glue them all back together using wood glue and many clamps. From looking at the machines you would never know it happened but it was still not a fun situation. Another thing about separating the case and then removing the large nails after is time consuming and a lot of work.

So I recently started my 3rd one and tried something new and not sure if others have done it or not. After all the back parts were removed and the front of the case is removed from the back I set the case face up on 4x4s supporting the case only and then using a block of wood in one corner I hit with a hammer to just separate slightly. Then I took a small cats paw and worked from there just separating the case about 1/8" all the way around. Then I took the easy way out. I took a dremel with a cutting wheel and cut all the nails which separated the playfield from the front of the case. From there you only have a tiny bit of nail sticking out on the playfield side. Just took a nail setter and whacked them towards the back which is enough to leave them flat on that side and will not be an issue when put back together and on the back they are also not going to be in the way as it only raises the heads slightly. Just need to put screws in a different spot when putting back together. It took me about 15 minutes to do the whole thing.

It is nothing earth shattering but it saved me a lot of grief and a lot of large nail pulling and wanted to share....

Mike
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Playfield cel replacement tip

I do pretty much the same. Lay the front supported by some 4x4s around the edge. Then take a deadblow hammer and sometimes a block of wood to pound off the background. Then take a regular hammer and pound out all the big posidrive nails sticking up. Then pry off the spacer boards with various prybars and then pound out the other nails. Reassemble with screws using preexisting holes from the nails.

oh and because things are actually glued originally sometimes you need to use a putty knife to help get the prybar under.

100 machines and counting...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That was how I was doing before the dremel part. I just found the breaking spacers were giving me anxiety. do you have an issue with any of them breaking?
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    That was how I was doing before the dremel part. I just found the breaking spacers were giving me anxiety. do you have an issue with any of them breaking?
    I get a few small pieces that come off from time to time. But nothing a little glue can't fix or they are so small it doesn't make a difference.

100 machines and counting...

7. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Over the years I have refined my process and no longer break the spacers. Now instead of beating down a corner to separate, I use a long chisel to start the separation process. I pound it between the pieces near one nail at a time, and then pry slightly. I go all the way around in this fashion and end up with around 1/8 inch of space all the way around. Then I use a prybar to repeat the process, making the space larger and larger, until the playfield just falls out.

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rival