Thread: Restored 1972 Nishijin with commentary

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Restored 1972 Nishijin with commentary

http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...roducts_id=129

A small history lesson:

So, in 1971 Nishijin made their first true multi-shot recyclers (if you don't count the front overflow). These were dubbed the "Aoi Umi" (Deep Blue Sea) models, and had playfields designated L-A through L-G, the first playfields from Nishijin to receive actual designations. The front ball loading mechanism is located on the actual playfield instead of the common front loader door configuration we usually see. In addition, the tulip pedals are typically pink instead of red. A third giveaway is the "hump" on the upper left of the chrome frame covering the hinge screws.

In 1972, they created the Gen1 model recycler which at first appears identical, however, they used three new playfields, 47A-A through 47A-C. These are not considered Aoi Umi machines but rather received the SuperDX designation. The ball loader mech is attached to the front loader door, and it has no upper left frame hump (the screws are exposed).

It appears that the 1971 model was produced into 1972 for at least a short period, as the 1971 AOI Umi shown above on my website had a 47A-A playfield which I replaced with a restored one.

Later in 1972 they produced the Gen2 recyclers with playfields 47A-D through 47A-F. These had the dark blue loader trays instead of the typical ligher blue ones we see on so many machines today. The Gen1 1972 machines make up the bulk of these three machines, with the Gen2 about 50 percent less in population, and the 1971 Aoi Umi a little tougher to come by. Probably the most sought 1971 Aoi Umi has the "bowling" center Yakamoto, which occasionally shows up in 1972 Gen1 machines as well.
    Last edited by Rival; 10-13-2014 at 09:35 PM.

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Restored 1972 Nishijin with commentary

Just for pictorial reference.

030g.jpg 1971 Nishijin Model A (1200) Aoi Umi Osaka (Kyoto)
    006.jpg1971 Nishijin Model A (1200) Osaka (Kyoto)
    026.jpg1971 Nishijin Model A (1200) Tokyo
    050.jpg1973 Nishijin Model A (1200) Super Deluxe / Beautiful Day
    018.jpg1973 Nishijin Model A (1200) Super DX
    043g.jpg 1974 Nishijin Model A (1200) Super Deluxe

The words in () are disputable. Because Member Rival and a few others think that they were originally called 1200 models. However, personally I think that was just an import number for how many balls went with the machine. (this case it would have been 100). Also in 71 Nishijin had 2 factories. One was for sure in Tokyo the other is the kinda unknown. Rival claims that it was in Kyoto, I say it was in Osaka because the image on the tag looks similar to Osaka and many past clues from Nishijin machines and company history tell me it would have been in Osaka.

Also I'm not aware of any model A that was produced in 72. Nishijin mainly made model B machines in 72, while they could have still been making the same Model A machines in that year that I'm not sure of. I have yet to see a Model A with a tax sticker that says 72.

Also sorry about some of the machines in the pictures. I know they aren't all of the nicest quality or completely original but they get the idea across.

In all I'm not pointing fingers to say who is wrong or right because there is no way to verify the information 100%. All of this is just an insight after the number of machines I have seen and research that I have done.

Also that is a nice looking machine you did there James.

100 machines and counting...

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Max,

We are in agreement on more points than we disagree. I am pretty sure the 1200 model designation was given by an exporter and picked up by importers and never used by manufacturers.

I originally believed that different models came from different factories, but over the years I have come to believe that there were multiple factories all producing the same lines. The reason that the stickers placed on machines under the tax stamps differed within a small range is because these were the cities from which the exporters based their operations, and from whose parlors they drew their inventory for exportation.

1972 recycler machines are amazingly common. 47A-(x) for the playfield designations would not have been created in 1971, since 47 Showa = 1972. I think we all agree that the 48S-(x) playfields are all on 1973 machines, and 49S-(x) are all on 1974 machines.

The odd ones out are the L- (x) which do not give a Showa year, are all on Aoi Umi machines, and all appear to use tax stamps that used a glue so corrosive that in nearly all cases the stamps has disintegrated. However, I have found a few Aoi Umi machines with the tax stamps legible, and show both 46 and 47. Those Showa years are 1971 and 1972. Additionally, I think it is pretty much settled that the front overflows (including the conversions) were released in 1970, the first year autoloaders were once again legal.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I never realized that.

But now looking at it that pattern only works between 72-74. As in 75 the backgrounds start with letters and end in a 2 digit number like 08. And yes I did notice that the 71 backgrounds start with L. There goes my hole history book. (well a few pages at least)

I did have a front overflow that I had in which was built in 70 and the background number is 青い海 Ywhich translates to blue sea. 7.jpg20.jpg

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In 1975 they started a new system. S-(x) replaced the year, and this continued into the late 70's. They just continued the sequence number of the playfields with no respect for the year. S-28 is the highest designation I have yet found, used in 1977. The actual number per year varies as different playfields were used on recycler and droppers each year. I have logged 9 playfields from 1971, 12 from 1972, 8 from 1973, and 12 from 1974. There is no telling how many I may have missed.

And this is just Nishijin!

PS: congrats on finding the 1970 machine with a playfield designation! That's a first!
    Last edited by Rival; 10-14-2014 at 08:55 PM.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Don't feel bad, this was only possible because I have restored nearly 100 machines now, and have had to reproduce a crapload of playfields. I have got reproductions of each of the 1972 47A-(A-F) playfields. I am concerned there may be more in the 47S- (x) series (I only have 47S-T) and I have one oddball (47A-Y) which may or may not have some siblings. Time will tell.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To assist in your re-write I suggest you review:

http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...age=page&id=44

http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...age=page&id=42

http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...age=page&id=49

I think these will help considerably with sorting out 1972, a really screwed up year for Nishijin

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival